Confirmed with Link: DAL trades Chiasson/Guptill/Paul/2nd R to OTT for Spezza/L Karlsson

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
What really sucked about it, is it got out he would only accept a trade to the rangers, lowering his value, then he still blocked the trade. Then leading up to free agency he said he would like to help the stars but didn't want to create a sense of obligation to sign anywhere.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

Nick Paul has 17 pts in 43 AHL games this year.

Alex Guptill has spent most of the year in the ECHL.

Alex Chiasson has 6 pts in 47 NHL games this year.

SensEnforcer

Nov 23, 2008
Melbourne
This is a really bad trade for Ottawa, Chiasson on pace for 11 points this year...the pieces we could get back may have been limited but essentially the trade is spezza for paul at this point in time.
If Paul doesnt amount to anything the trade is spezza for dallas dump

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I've got a lot of sympathy, you were in a tough spot and that was the best deal you could make. Sometimes the lottery tickets work, sometimes they dont.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
In hindsight, I think you could see it coming. In his first full year with the team, 37% of his points came on the powerplay. And if I recall correctly, he was spoon fed big minutes despite having limited use outside of being a net-front man. In '13-14 he was #3 in Stars forwards for PP TOI/game. Ew.

With his powerplay time per game being reduced from 3.34/game in '13-14 to 1.84/game in '14-15 and ultimately 1.39/game this year, it's not that surprising to see his scoring dip.

Good on Jim Nill and management noticing this among other things and trading him away. Although, I think by the end of the '13-14 season, most fans wanted him shipped away anyways.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
With Spezza hurt now, maybe Nil ought to call the Sens back and squeeze out a bit more, LOL.

The other thing about the trade was that Spezza was supposed to be a big injury risk with his back, supposedly driving down value, too. Maybe we are starting to see that now, I don't know but the injury is in the back area. And, we signed him for bigger bucks than most thought were wise.

That was the opinions on this board, more or less, obviously nothing universal. Looking back on these threads, funny how down on Spezza Sens fans had become. All fans seem to get down on their best players, comparing them to some standard that doesn't really exist, like Gretsky and his best three years or something. I recall all the talk about bad passing, turnovers. I see a pretty good player, maybe slightly over paid based on past accomplishments, but who outside of Pittsburgh has a better second line center?

He was a bit slow starting last year, but looks great this year, pre injury. Hope he is back on ice. We won't go too far without him.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
I think a few of us at the time were a bit concerned about Paul becoming a big piece in the future. Looking more and more like he might become a good piece for them. He would have been rotting in our system by this point so I'm really not too concerned.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Safe to say you guys absolutely fleeced us with this one. Chiasson is absolutely useless and we don't know what Paul is going to bring for us ultimately. Looks like Spezza can crack 30 goals, which is impressive. Im surprised he doesn't have more assists since that's his bread and butter but I dont know who you guys got him playing with

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Safe to say you guys absolutely fleeced us with this one. Chiasson is absolutely useless and we don't know what Paul is going to bring for us ultimately. Looks like Spezza can crack 30 goals, which is impressive. Im surprised he doesn't have more assists since that's his bread and butter but I dont know who you guys got him playing with

Paul looks decent. Surprised about Chiasson though, figured he at least be a 15-20 goal scorer. Guess there's still time, but it isn't looking good

Spezza has played a lot with Janmark. If our PP wasn't so bad at times I'm sure he'd have a lot more assist. He's shooting more which is good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad