Trade: [DAL/SF] Trey Lance for 2024 conditional 4th round pick

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yea, I think most people knew Lance wouldnt work out.

If the Niners weren't playoff contenders that trade would look so much worse. Giving up that many picks for a guy who barely played for you and then giving him away for a 4th.

FCS QBs usually don't work out anyways, let alone a guy like him who had one single season. I get why he declared and hes still going to walk away with a bunch of money but it was a bad pick from the start IMO.
I’m looking around the league trying to pick out the week 1 starter who played at the lowest level in college football. Garoppolo is the only one who didn’t come out of FBS.

This will never happen again with NIL as it is. You probably won’t even need to bother scouting FCS schools for quarterbacks.

Reactions: Voight

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Weird spot for him. He wasn't going to go start anywhere (maybe Cardinals, I guess) but he's basically in the same spot as SF.

Sounds like the Vikings never really made a push this past week, even though every reporter brought them up. I would've done it for a 4th while fully knowing you're likely just throwing that pick away.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Weird spot for him. He wasn't going to go start anywhere (maybe Cardinals, I guess) but he's basically in the same spot as SF.

Sounds like the Vikings never really made a push this past week, even though every reporter brought them up. I would've done it for a 4th while fully knowing you're likely just throwing that pick away.
He has all but 2 games in the nfl. He was not going to learn a new playbook in a Couple of weeks and start for another team in September.

Be it AZ, Atl, Was or any other club without a proven starter for week 1.

HE will be on the 53 man roster but don’t expect him to dress as the backup.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He has all but 2 games in the nfl. He was not going to learn a new playbook in a Couple of weeks and start for another team in September.

Be it AZ, Atl, Was or any other club without a proven starter for week 1.

HE will be on the 53 man roster but don’t expect him to dress as the backup.

Yeah, of course. I mean throughout the season he's likely not starting anywhere unless there are multiple injuries. The Cardinals are the one exception because despite them not officially saying it, we won't be seeing Kyler at any point this season.

Bringing him in how and wanting/expecting him to start right away would just be malpractice. I know all about that after the Josh Freeman experience in Minnesota.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I’m looking around the league trying to pick out the week 1 starter who played at the lowest level in college football. Garoppolo is the only one who didn’t come out of FBS.

This will never happen again with NIL as it is. You probably won’t even need to bother scouting FCS schools for quarterbacks.

Before Garoppolo (and I guess Wentz) who was even the last notable (by which I mean someone who was a starter for at least a couple seasons) QB to come out of the FCS?

Only ones I can remember are Flacco & Fitzmagic.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Before Garoppolo (and I guess Wentz) who was even the last notable (by which I mean someone who was a starter for at least a couple seasons) QB to come out of the FCS?

Maybe Tony Romo?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Romo was from the same school as Jimmy at Eastern Illinois.
But Jimmy and Romo were like 3 plus year starters so they got lots of reps and game action.

Lance was both lower level competition and. Fewer reps. And didn’t throw that much in college.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Maybe Tony Romo?

Gotta be him.

Googled a couple names who played in the late 90s/early 2000s just to see and at one point there were at least 4 former FCS QBs starting - Warner/Gannon/Dilfer/McNair which I imagine isn't very common. Three of them being MVP winners.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Gotta be him.

Googled a couple names who played in the late 90s/early 2000s just to see and at one point there were at least 4 former FCS QBs starting - Warner/Gannon/Dilfer/McNair which I imagine isn't very common. Three of them being MVP winners.
Just looking at their college stats:
Warner - 1 year starter (then 3 years in AFL and 1 in NFL Europe), so he got in more reps vs sit on the bench.
Gannon - 3 year starter
Dilfer - 2 year starter
McNair - 4 year starter

Not too surprising that you need reps in college (or before the NFL) to have some level of success.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I wonder what a trade call with Jerry Jones feels like.

I bet he shits on Jimmy Johnson the whole time until the other GM reins him in and gets him to focus somehow.

• Haha
Reactions: PanthersPens62
Sep 19, 2008
OK John Price we get it - you don't like the Cowboys. Now STFU about it. :nod:
1693263911735.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
The one thing I'm worried about with Purdy is injury and maybe he was coming back too fast. His performance last night kind of alleviated those concerns a little bit, but I hope he can play the full season. I think it's hitting me that the 49ers are trusting Mr. Irrelevant to be their QB1. That is absolutely wild.
If hes average at best QB would he be the best Mr. Irrelevant ever?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If hes average at best QB would he be the best Mr. Irrelevant ever?
SF will be looking around at who gets waived at cutdown day to see whether that player is worth a spot on the 53 man roster or they can try to sign someone else to the PS.

Like if Nathan Rourke doesn't see a path in Jax (which he shouldn't with Lawrence), he would be wise to consider signing with another club that isn't as set at QB for the foreseeable future.

SF is going to get someone else at QB3. Depends on how much experience they target. And for them, hope that they don't need the QB3 until October at the earliest. Give the guy some time to learn a new playbook.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Well well well...

Lance isn't a threat to Dak.

What Dal gets is a chance to evaluate Lance in practice. I mean, Minny spent a 3rd on Mond and cut him after a year. TB spent a late 2nd on Trask and he's not likely to start in his 3rd season with TB. So, a 4th to get a guy into the buildling is a fair roll of the dice.

Dak carries a massive cap number in 2024 at $59.5 mill or $62 mill in dead money if he is cut. He's not playing next season for Dallas at $59.5 mill cap hit. They either have to extend Dak or move off him. So, they either tie themselves to Dak for 2025 and probably 2026 as well or they walk from him and eat big time dead cap in 2024 and 2025 assuming he's a post June 1 designated cut. If they cut him, they need a cheap option at QB, which Lance would be in 2024. Dal could do a GB deal for that 5th year in 2025 vs pick up the option, which was like $13 mill vs like a $20 mill for the 5th year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad