Trade: [DAL/SF] Trey Lance for 2024 conditional 4th round pick

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can't even call Lance a bust at this point due to him barely not even seeing the field.

He is still also only 23 years old.
Then he should not have declared for the draft. He needed more games under his belt because the pros are hard.
Should have gone transfer portal for 2021 season to a Power5 school then declared for 2022 draft.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Im currently intoxicated but even with that this is still a bizarre trade. Ultimately trading up for Trey might have cost the Niners a Super Bowl. Micah Parsons was taken with their original pick ffs. That was a good draft.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Not good draft assest management by the 49ers front office. This is the kind of blunder I would expect from the Browns or Jets.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lance was being told he was a top 10 pick, he had to come out. Problem was where he ended up. Lance is making like $27m, too.

Reactions: Voight

LT

XXXX - XXX_ - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Then he should not have declared for the draft. He needed more games under his belt because the pros are hard.
Should have gone transfer portal for 2021 season to a Power5 school then declared for 2022 draft.

No QB who's expected to be a top pick in the draft should ever return to college. Matt Barkley did it and got screwed. The risk of zero income vs. tens of millions is not comparable at all to the risk of tens of millions versus hundreds of millions. No one in their right mind should ever turn down that kind of money.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lance was being told he was a top 10 pick, he had to come out. Problem was where he ended up. Lance is making like $27m, too.
He would have gotten on the field but I doubt he would have developed into a good QB with what we have seen of him.
He got his bag but doesn’t appear to be in line for another payday.

Aside from a minor bit of leverage against Dak I don’t see much benefit to Dallas here.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That is true but with how good Kyle is with quarterbacks, this was a major miss. Stand on record that they should have drafted Fields. Ocams razor.

I'm not a GM/scout/whatever but I couldn't believe teams were passing on Fields for Wilson and Lance. Wilson especially, never bought into his hype and Lance was a mystery box.

Jaguars definitely owe the Jets/Adam Gase a fruit basket or something.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I'm not a GM/scout/whatever but I couldn't believe teams were passing on Fields for Wilson and Lance. Wilson especially, never bought into his hype and Lance was a mystery box.

McVay and Goff they do. That's the game they won beating the Rams :laugh:.

Reactions: HisIceness

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

I never got how Wilson was a 1st round pick, much less #2 overall. He at least had a record and experience, except he only had 1 good year and it was the Covid year where BYU had a hard time getting opponents, and was not good against the best team he played. He didn’t really do much to separate himself from Kellen Mond, who was also bad until his last year. People outsmarting themselves because they were too impressed with the tools and don’t know how to use them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No QB who's expected to be a top pick in the draft should ever return to college. Matt Barkley did it and got screwed. The risk of zero income vs. tens of millions is not comparable at all to the risk of tens of millions versus hundreds of millions. No one in their right mind should ever turn down that kind of money.
I get taking the money. Not disputing that.

But taking the money when he’s so raw, doesn’t set him up for success in the nfl when he needs reps and SF is not in position to just give him reps and take L’s.

Reactions: Voight

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Im currently intoxicated but even with that this is still a bizarre trade. Ultimately trading up for Trey might have cost the Niners a Super Bowl. Micah Parsons was taken with their original pick ffs. That was a good draft.
uxeoqqn.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Tuggy and Voight

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021

Cowboys were heavily rumoured to take a QB in the later rounds of the last draft, and it just never happened.

I’m not sure the playing time is there, but I’d have him over Cooper Rush on the depth chart. Sure, he went 5-1 or something, but that was because the D was dominant during that stretch. I think one game he had something like 120 yards. And then he threw away the Philly came with four turnovers in our own end.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
what a weird trade. lance can't be happy considering the cowboys already have an established backup. why not just deal him to a team that needs one?

niners were dumb to begin with for drafting him

Yea, I think most people knew Lance wouldnt work out.

If the Niners weren't playoff contenders that trade would look so much worse. Giving up that many picks for a guy who barely played for you and then giving him away for a 4th.

FCS QBs usually don't work out anyways, let alone a guy like him who had one single season. I get why he declared and hes still going to walk away with a bunch of money but it was a bad pick from the start IMO.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yea, I think most people knew Lance wouldnt work out.

If the Niners weren't playoff contenders that trade would look so much worse. Giving up that many picks for a guy who barely played for you and then giving him away for a 4th.

FCS QBs usually don't work out anyways, let alone a guy like him who had one single season. I get why he declared and hes still going to walk away with a bunch of money but it was a bad pick from the start IMO.
Lance would have gotten onto the field had the Jets taken him or the Bears. But from what we have seen he didn’t seem ready and that is with the more talented SF players around him.

Good QBs make so much money in the nfl now that if you are just decent with some upside still like D. Jones is making more what high $30 mill per season compared to the $25 mill total he got on his rookie deal? Had the NYG not had Barkley to tag they would have tagged Jones which would have been more than his rookie contract value.

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I literally don't understand this at all.

I might* be stupid but not in a million years did I expect Dallas to be the team that traded for him.

*in the same way humans might need oxygen to survive

Reactions: SlowShot

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark