Proposal: DAL/NYR

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
You know Eichel and Matthews were called "Can't miss Prospects" at a time not so long ago and were surrounded by the type of hype Heiskanen is getting but he is the gamble.

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
Not horrible OP, but Zuc commands more and we will want to max return.
----------------

Strategically, I remind this is a great win-win for both sides, just have to get over personal attachments to their guys...

Rangers overpay but worth it:
Buchnevich
Andersson
NYR 2nd 2020

for
Heiskanen
Pitlick

Stars get elc replacements for Spezza, Hanzal, makes extending Seguin easy. That alone is totally worth it.
Buch helps immediately, Andy can play like another 8 games, then Dal mgmt can decide if they want to blow 1st elc yr now having him for POs or not.
Stars really solidify Fs so can start to add to backline w/strategic builds.

Rangers bend over, but gamble is Heiskanen is potential 1LD

I like several NYR D prospects, but an add of his stature is significant.
Stock up on young D incl prospects, develop first, choose best pieces to keep, then trade surplus in a seller's market for them, profit.
Chytil is here next year.
We can move guys like Zuc and Nash and more and get more than 1 F coming back, + picks, so we are looking good going forward.

this ^ was a deal mostly liked by Stars fans, thumbs down by Ranger counterparts, small sample opinion return. That was before it became clear NY need to rebuild.
Above helps Dallas w/Cup run and NY with tank/fallin for Dahlin

-------
if teams want they can to a side deal on Nichuskin [sp?]
his rights for NYR 2018 7th + conditional adds
if he signs, add a 6th
if he plays at all, add __________
if he demonstrates x production ___________ over 2 years for NY, add ____________ .
something like that.
The Stars aren't trading Heiskanen. There are very few players in the NHL they would trade him for.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
There is no guarantee that Nichuskins comes to the states, but it seems NY has an easier time bringing Russians over. The stars also have two fourth round picks this year, one that belonged to the blackhawks, that should be the upper portion of the draft. The Blackhawk pick should take the sting off a 3rd rounder this year. Robertson a good prospect, and a 2019 #1 that will be in bottom ten of round 1, probably.

The Rangers seem to be building a strong Russian connection. I think once Ruff is gone, Nuke would have no problem playing in NY.

What is the consensus on Julius Honka.....do you guys love him, hate him......indifferent?
Would you consider:

Honka, rights to Nuke and a 1st

for Zuccarello, maybe Graves and a 3rd?

Last edited:
Reactions: Moon Knight

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
You did not read or consider the post.
Rangers massively overpay.
For them to come out even Heiskanen must be at least all that and a bag of chips. In that sense, he is a gamble.
I am recommending the trade 'cause it is a prudent gamble, but it is still a gamble.
Similarly, Buch + Andersson is a gamble, but a prudent one, for Stars.

I'd rather keep Andersson and Buch...Buch has already shown he is likely the most talented forward the Rangers have.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
The Rangers seem to building a strong Russian connection. I think once Ruff is gone, Nuke would have no problem playing in NY.

What is the consensus on Julius Honka.....do you guys love him, hate him......indifferent?
Would you consider:

Honka, rights to Nuke and a 1st

for Zuccarello, maybe Graves and a 3rd?

Most of us love Honka just hate that Hitchcock doesn't play him enough. I wouldn't do that trade above. I value Nichushkin more than I do Guryanov/Tufte.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
----------------

Strategically, I remind this is a great win-win for both sides, just have to get over personal attachments to their guys...

Buchnevich
Andersson
NYR 2nd 2020

for
Heiskanen
Pitlick

Stars get elc replacements for Spezza, Hanzal, makes extending Seguin easy. That alone is totally worth it.
Buch helps immediately, Andy can play like another 8 games, then Dal mgmt can decide if they want to blow 1st elc yr now having him for POs or not.

Stock up on young D incl prospects, develop first, choose best pieces to keep, then trade surplus in a seller's market for them, profit.
We can move guys like Zuc and Nash and more and get more than 1 F coming back, + picks, so we are looking good going forward.

this ^ was a deal mostly liked by Stars fans, thumbs down by Ranger counterparts, small sample opinion return. That was before it became clear NY need to rebuild.

-------
if he signs, add a 6th
if he demonstrates x production ___________ over 2 years for NY, add ____________ .
something like that.

We won't have any issue extending Seguin. Spezzas contract expires when Seguin Needs one. Also, why in the world would we trade Nichushkins rights for that cheap? You don't think we'd see how he does with us first before giving him away basically for free? Even with those conditions. If anything he is traded for a similar young player who is struggling

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
----------------

Buchnevich
Andersson
NYR 2nd 2020

for
Heiskanen
Pitlick

-------
if he signs, add a 6th
something like that.
Do you happen to be a ranger fan ?

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Nichushkin is no throw in. His value certainly isn’t at an all time high with the Russian factor, but if he can build upon his rookie season and his experience in the KHL, I wouldn’t be surprised if he came close to Zuccarello’s numbers.

The Stars hang on to him and see what kind of progress he has made. I for one am still intrigued by his pretty high upside.

The Stars really only have prospects (no Heiskanen), picks (no first) and players such as Ritchie or Shore available for trade discussions. Honka should only be made available if there’s a higher, longer signed commodity coming back.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Nichushkin is no throw in. His value certainly isn’t at an all time high with the Russian factor, but if he can build upon his rookie season and his experience in the KHL, I wouldn’t be surprised if he came close to Zuccarello’s numbers.

The Stars hang on to him and see what kind of progress he has made. I for one am still intrigued by his pretty high upside.

The Stars really only have prospects (no Heiskanen), picks (no first) and players such as Ritchie or Shore available for trade discussions. Honka should only be made available if there’s a higher, longer signed commodity coming back.

Ikr people act like Nichushkin is worthless and that the Stars are gonna sell extremely low on him. Would be an idiotic move to wait 2 years just to trade his rights last second.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Our owner was just on the radio 2 days ago talking about how he wants to keep our picks this year because 1. He thinks pure rentals are a waste and doesnt see an available player that we could make part of our team long term thanks to cap and 2. The draft being in Dallas + him having his first is important to him and the org

Fair enough. That being said, that doesn't mean it'd never happen. If you got a deal along the lines of what NJD got in '13, they'd likely change their mind.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We won't have any issue extending Seguin. Spezzas contract expires when Seguin Needs one. Also, why in the world would we trade Nichushkins rights for that cheap? You don't think we'd see how he does with us first before giving him away basically for free? Even with those conditions. If anything he is traded for a similar young player who is struggling
The Nich's rights are secondary here, and he was not being given away.
A 7th JUST for his rights.
Add IF he signs
Add more for etc., etc.
He is not worth anything to anybody unless he returns, and he is not coming to Dallas. He'll do the Radulov thing instead.

Any team offering a struggling prospect would have to take it on faith Nich would report and put out; any miscalculation and they lose a struggling prospect for another possible return.

Getting back to the main part, while extending Seguin can be done otherwise, this deal provides immediate help, and sets up to move Hanzal/Spezza for assets, which support the D rebuild; barring injury, w/Andersson and Buchnevich adding to Gurianov etc already there you have enough depth at F for a core. But to do it you moved one guy, Heiskanen, for two.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Ikr people act like Nichushkin is worthless and that the Stars are gonna sell extremely low on him. Would be an idiotic move to wait 2 years just to trade his rights last second.
I think it would be a great move to take something that does nothing for the franchise and turn it into help for the franchise, but my guess is few GMs are going to put any real value on the rights to a dude who struggles to put up points in the KHL.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Hadn't thought about it, but having Nuke back on a one year prove it deal would probably show us his best, and I approve of the idea.

As to the Cup/1st round pick idea, he said he would prefer to keep the pick. A cup is never guaranteed, whether adding a rental or not. The history of rentals making a difference between a semi contender and true contender who then wins is spotty at best. I think his exact quote was that the deal would have to be perfect for them to jump in.

That said, if Grabner, a 25 goal scoring RW, which is exactly what the Stars needed was had for a second and prospect (mid level? Don't know) my personal opinion was the Stars should have been in on that one.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Hadn't thought about it, but having Nuke back on a one year prove it deal would probably show us his best, and I approve of the idea.

As to the Cup/1st round pick idea, he said he would prefer to keep the pick. A cup is never guaranteed, whether adding a rental or not. The history of rentals making a difference between a semi contender and true contender who then wins is spotty at best. I think his exact quote was that the deal would have to be perfect for them to jump in.

That said, if Grabner, a 25 goal scoring RW, which is exactly what the Stars needed was had for a second and prospect (mid level? Don't know) my personal opinion was the Stars should have been in on that one.

we did that deal b'c we know that guy acquired has reasonably high potential vs minimal bust, plus several of our people knew him. Heard a comparison to Sami Vats, so if that is the case, that explains it.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Fair enough. That being said, that doesn't mean it'd never happen. If you got a deal along the lines of what NJD got in '13, they'd likely change their mind.

I mean any type of trade is possible but my comment was to those who reply to the "Dallas wants to keep their first this year because the draft in Dallas" with "LOL thats dumb, teams want to win so having the draft in town wont change that."

The Dallas owner literally said what has been said by stars fans time and time again. If Dallas moves a 1st at the deadline its more than likely a 2019 st. If the 2018 st is moved its more than likely at the draft os that Dallas has some first day action that PR can eat up.

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
we did that deal b'c we know that guy acquired has reasonably high potential vs minimal bust, plus several of our people knew him. Heard a comparison to Sami Vats, so if that is the case, that explains it.
Nobody was offering a 1st round pick for Grabner, that's why NY took that deal. Nash won't get one either. Only way Nash brings a 1st is if the Rangers add something with Nash.

Nichushkin will be in Dallas next season. That's already been agreed to. Lindy Ruff's firing fixed that problem. The addition of Radulov also helped.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He is not worth anything to anybody unless he returns, and he is not coming to Dallas. He'll do the Radulov thing instead.

If you're gonna make a claim like That, provide a legitimate source with it that says Nichushkin isn't coming back. As far as I've heard, he's coming back. Not sure where you got this from

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
If you're gonna make a claim like That, provide a legitimate source with it that says Nichushkin isn't coming back. As far as I've heard, he's coming back. Not sure where you got this from

Yeah, there is an article that states Nill had spoken with Nichushkin last summer, and he expects him back in the beginning of the 2018-2019 season. He wanted Nichushkin to finish his 2 year contract in the KHL before making his way back to Dallas. Unless something drastic happens, he is coming back to Dallas.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Nobody was offering a 1st round pick for Grabner, that's why NY took that deal. Nash won't get one either. Only way Nash brings a 1st is if the Rangers add something with Nash.

Nichushkin will be in Dallas next season. That's already been agreed to. Lindy Ruff's firing fixed that problem. The addition of Radulov also helped.

If Ruff was the total problem and chucking him resolves the issue, more power to ya.
No hard one here to get him.
Working on history that he hated the situation, and being absent was not useful.
If you changed that, congrats.

As to Grabs, sorry, while a 1st AND the guy we got would be nicer, I prefer that package to a 1st only [since it was not a 1st from a team likely to surrender an early pick].

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If Ruff was the total problem and chucking him resolves the issue, more power to ya.
No hard one here to get him.
Working on history that he hated the situation, and being absent was not useful.
If you changed that, congrats.

As to Grabs, sorry, while a 1st AND the guy we got would be nicer, I prefer that package to a 1st only [since it was not a 1st from a team likely to surrender an early pick].

Oh god just remembered the Rangers have Lindy Ruff in their coaching staff. What a punch to the gut that would be to trade Nichushkin back to the guy who was the reason he left in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad