Confirmed with Link: [DAL/DET] Erik Cole + 3rd for Mattias Backman + Mattias Janmark + 2nd

ItsTheCracken*

Interesting.
Don't know much about the prospects, but Nill drafted both so Im sure he chose them for a reason.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Thoughts on Cole? Is he someone who's really going to help us out?

Despite being 36 years old he can still beat the vast majority of defenceman around the edge. He has really increased his scoring and physicality this year. He seems to be playing for a contract which is actually a benefit for a rental.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

If you put him with a guy like Datsyuk, yes he will. His success has come from playing with Spezza - someone who can slow down the play, make the flashy moves, and set Cole up for some goals.

Cole's been a great forechecker with good speed and some physicality (especially for his age), and he'll do the dirty work while someone else on his line drives the play. Get him that, and he'll be good for around a 20-20-40 pace for the Wings.

Someone in the main boards thread said he'll basically take Abdelkader's role - I think that's fairly accurate, just not quite as much net front presence.

If you don't mind, could we get a rundown on the Mattias'?

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Despite being 36 years old he can still beat the vast majority of defenceman around the edge. He has really increased his scoring and physicality this year. He seems to be playing for a contract which is actually a benefit for a rental.

That's what I like to hear. We could use a goalscorer and Cole seems to be one this year at least

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
No salary retained on Cole, not that it really matters for us.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I don't know a bit about either of the prospects but I certainly trust Nill's judgment on the Wings system.

Janmark seems to be pretty highly rated, and Backman supposedly has a pretty good floor (should be at worst a bottom pairing defender, but not likely to ever be more than a #4). Similar to Jokipakka's potential, almost.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
If either of the prospects or pick become full time nhlers this is murder, if not Detroit murders, as we not only get nothing, but we lose 3 of 50 contract spots.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
I could easily see Backman being an NHL'er, he was one of our favorites but had a big time logjam of Dmen in front of him. Smart move by Nill IMO.

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
glad we got the 2nd back.. and Nill obviously knows Backman and Janmark so looking forward to see them at the camp :) still i was hoping for the late 1st for Cole but cannot say i am disappointed.. and i would really like to know how looked offers from other teams :D

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Nill might not know Janmark that well - he was drafted in the 3rd round in 2013, so Nill wasn't around to actually draft him (although I'm sure he did some scouting and is familiar with the player anyway).

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

He's been quite good for us this year. Honestly, I was expecting a first for him considering he's probably the best rental forward that's been available.

Nill might not know Janmark that well - he was drafted in the 3rd round in 2013, so Nill wasn't around to actually draft him (although I'm sure he did some scouting and is familiar with the player anyway).

But it was Joe McDonnell's pick, who is now our director of scouting.

ReliEnt

Apr 7, 2007
Michigan
Wings fan here. I see Backman is a boom or bust type prospect. Hes a very good skater and moves the puck incredibly well but size will be an issue if he doesn't add bulk. If i remember correct he was like 6-2 170 maybe. He played in the AHL for beginning part of season but was a healthy scratch a few times, got impatient and went back to Sweden. I think that will be an issue if he doesn't make your NHL roster. Janmark I don't know a whole lot about but from what I've heard he projects as a 2 way third line center. Hasn't played North American hockey so there will likely be an adjustment period. Both guys will probably need some seasoning in the AHL but are 22 and getting close to NHL ready.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Wings fan here. I see Backman is a boom or bust type prospect. Hes a very good skater and moves the puck incredibly well but size will be an issue if he doesn't add bulk. If i remember correct he was like 6-2 170 maybe. He played in the AHL for beginning part of season but was a healthy scratch a few times, got impatient and went back to Sweden. I think that will be an issue if he doesn't make your NHL roster. Janmark I don't know a whole lot about but from what I've heard he projects as a 2 way third line center. Hasn't played North American hockey so there will likely be an adjustment period. Both guys will probably need some seasoning in the AHL but are 22 and getting close to NHL ready.

Backman should have a chance, we have a logjam of prospects at or around his caliber that'll be fighting for probably two spots next season (Demers, Goligoski, Daley, and Klingberg should have spots locked up - the other two are open to be filled internally). Nemeth will likely be the frontrunner for one, but the other should be wide open between Jokipakka, Oleksiak, now Backman, and maybe even Lindell, Honka, and Bystrom.

uff got really excited for a second thinking Jurco might be Dallas-bound

I wish :laugh:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Both these prospects have pretty good ceilings, it's just a matter of getting them over here and if they meet it. Backman could be a 3/4 defenseman, Babcock was very high on him last spring/over the summer, and Janmark-Nylen has second line upside. Very clear Nill is high on these two, so let's see what you guys can do with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad