Daily draft position watch

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
We've now clinched at least the 15th pick. Any Washington result that's anything other than a non-regulation win and we pick 16th.

There's still hope, everyone!

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
We've now clinched at least the 15th pick. Any Washington result that's anything other than a non-regulation win and we pick 16th.

There's still hope, everyone!

Washington is a playoff team right now. They are already picking above us as things stand now. There are 15 teams below us in addition to Washington. The only way we pick 15th is if Ottawa forfeits their pick. We are stuck with the highest pick of any non-playoff team.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Washington is a playoff team right now. They are already picking above us as things stand now. There are 15 teams below us in addition to Washington. The only way we pick 15th is if Ottawa forfeits their pick. We are stuck with the highest pick of any non-playoff team.
i don't view that as huge catastrophe. i have spent countless hours in evaluating draft prospects this year, and i don't believe there is a significant difference in the guys from about 13-19. and honestly, i don't think the 9-12 guys are that far ahead either. so while i would rather have higher than lower choice, if we aren't in top 8 we are looking at guys of similar level regardless of where we pick.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
i don't view that as huge catastrophe. i have spent countless hours in evaluating draft prospects this year, and i don't believe there is a significant difference in the guys from about 13-19. and honestly, i don't think the 9-12 guys are that far ahead either. so while i would rather have higher than lower choice, if we aren't in top 8 we are looking at guys of similar level regardless of where we pick.

We've been over this. Regardless of the draft tiers, picking higher is always better. If a team offered us the 13th OA pick straight up for the 16th, you aren't going to say "Well it doesn't REALLY matter since the guys there..." f*** no, you take the pick and run. It may not end up being a huge deal if the guy we like falls to us anyway, or we end up picking a guy we like less who develops better, etc etc. But all else being equal, picking higher is better.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I think there should still be a couple of quality choices at 16. Yakemchuck may fall, Hage or Iginla may still be on the board. I'd be happy with any of those three. Maybe someone goes crazy and picks that Connolly kid super high, or gets scared by someone's skating, etc. Also, there's a bunch of evidence that draftees with size start to creep up and those without start to fall a little after the season is over, meaning a guy we all like may fall and a guy we're not interested in may jump. You never know how the draft is going to work out, even sometimes at #1.

I'm glad we had meaningful games down the stretch and gave our young guys like Hofer, Neighbors, Bolduc, and Kessel bigger roles and minutes, so we could see what they have. We were never getting a top 8 pick, and frankly from about 10-18 there are a lot of good players available. I trust our scouting and development pipeline.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I see it as an advantage. If someone really wants to trade up for one of the wingers sitting there you can take the extra pick or you can take Hage or Freij and be in a good spot for your second round.

I would be bold in drafting some D early. You can get top 4 guys in the first 2 rounds.
Freij will be like Willander last year. Boldest ranking I have seen by Scouch is #5. His body of work 72 games 23 goals and 46 assists (counting regular season, playoffs and international play)plays the right side and is known as one of the best closers and skaters in the draft. Sound familiar? I think they are sleeping on him dismissing Swedens draft class. U18s are coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drubilly

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
I see it as an advantage. If someone really wants to trade up for one of the wingers sitting there you can take the extra pick or you can take Hage or Freij and be in a good spot for your second round.

I would be bold in drafting some D early. You can get top 4 guys in the first 2 rounds.
Freij will be like Willander last year. Boldest ranking I have seen by Scouch is #5. His body of work 72 games 23 goals and 46 assists (counting regular season, playoffs and international play)plays the right side and is known as one of the best closers and skaters in the draft. Sound familiar? I think they are sleeping on him dismissing Swedens draft class. U18s are coming.
I really really like Freij and I would be reshocked, redismayed, or rebewildered if he was still available for our first 2nd rounder.

Reactions: Blueston

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I really really like Freij and I would be reshocked, redismayed, or rebewildered if he was still available for our first 2nd rounder.
Figuring the average rankings from last year, the average Swedish pick was undervalued by 3 spots over where they were picked. Guys like Edstrom, Lindstein, and Wahlberg were huge misses for the most part

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
Figuring the average rankings from last year, the average Swedish pick was undervalued by 3 spots over where they were picked. Guys like Edstrom, Lindstein, and Wahlberg were huge misses for the most part
My masculine intuition keeps telling me Army will get another 1st this offseason. It also tells me Snuggy will never don the Note. Anyway, I’d be thrilled if the Blues came out of this draft with any two of Freij, Hage, Basha, and Boisvert.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
My masculine intuition keeps telling me Army will get another 1st this offseason. It also tells me Snuggy will never don the Note. Anyway, I’d be thrilled if the Blues came out of this draft with any two of Freij, Hage, Basha, and Boisvert.
If they draft Hutson or Aron the injured Finn with their first, then I will be burn one of my Blues jerseys.

• Haha

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I’d absolutely have Dvorsky on the table, maybe even WITH our 16th OA, if that would land us the pick or drafted stud we see as our future #1D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad