Daily draft position watch

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
At this point we need to hope for wins from: Pittsburgh, Calgary, Washington, Buffalo, New Jersey, Minnesota and Seattle. Any other teams are either comfortably ahead of us or so far behind us they’re not likely to catch us.

So far today:
Buffalo wins in OT.:thumbu:
Pens are getting run over by Boston.:thumbd:
Calgary not looking good vs. Florida.:thumbd:
Devils lose to the Canes.:thumbd:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
stand 3-9.PNG

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I could see us falling all the way to 8th with how we are playing recently plus our tough schedule rest of the way.

My hope is that happens so we can be in on Sam Dickinson who is projected to go anywhere from 5-10. Even though most rankings have Silayev or Levshunov as the top 2 defenseman in this draft I feel like Dickinson is the most well rounded. It would give us him and Lindstein down the left side for the next decade.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I could see us falling all the way to 8th with how we are playing recently plus our tough schedule rest of the way.

My hope is that happens so we can be in on Sam Dickinson who is projected to go anywhere from 5-10. Even though most rankings have Silayev or Levshunov as the top 2 defenseman in this draft I feel like Dickinson is the most well rounded. It would give us him and Lindstein down the left side for the next decade.

I like Berkley Catton too. Very skilled center

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015

Dickinson is also my #1 target. Getting him and one of Elick, Emery, or Badinka in round 2 would be a dream draft.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I like Berkley Catton too. Very skilled center

I like Catton as well but I think he is going in top5. I also would rather see us target one of the defenseman in that range. My ranking would be

1.Dickinson
2.Buium
3.Jiricek
4.Yakemchuk
5.Parekh

Honestly, even though I definitely prefer a defenseman I would consider a forward over the bottom 3 depending on who is available.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Looking at the remaining schedule, I feel like 10-8 is best case scenario. More likely, though, we lose more games that we should win than win games we should lose. I’m guessing we finish 8-10 for 83 points. I feel like that puts us drafting somewhere between 8-10 as there are currently 8 teams at or below NHL 500. At that point, hopefully we find a way to move up a couple of slots if “our guy” on D is still on the board and make sure we get him.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
There's no chance we break into the top 7 at this point, so 8th is the best we can hope for. With the way this team has played over the last two weeks, I could see us securing a top 10 pick. The only x-factor is just how well Binner is going to play - I'd start Hofer a bunch down the stretch here and maybe even call up Zherenko for a game or two.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Dickinson is also my #1 target. Getting him and one of Elick, Emery, or Badinka in round 2 would be a dream draft.
Dickinson will be the first left defenseman taken. What may help us is the Canadiens don’t need any defense on the left side nor does Ottawa. So they will be looking at one of the right hand D if they are going to take one. I think we will all be surprised that both Parekh and YakemChuck may well be off the board.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
The Blues best hopes are what, 8th overall, but most likely somewhere around 10-12?

Good going Minnesota, 3-2 lead

Reactions: Mike Liut

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The Blues best hopes are what, 8th overall, but most likely somewhere around 10-12?

Good going Minnesota, 3-2 lead

Assuming every team below us plays at a 10% better point capture rate than they have all season (already wishful thinking). Here is where we will finish with various point capture for us.

Current Point capture (.523) - Tied for 9th
-10% (.423) - 8th
-20% (.323) - 8th
-30% (.223) - Tied 5th
-40 (.123) - Tied for 3rd
.000 - tied for 3rd

So I think this shows that top 3 is almost impossible. Top 7 is highly unlikely. 8th is about the best we could hope for but a lot would have to break right. Calgary got rid of a lot of assets, so they should play worse. I'd add them to the pile of teams we are unlikely to pass. So we are looking at 9th for the best. Pittsburgh lost a big piece as did NJ. We stayed put. So its possible they pass us, but not guaranteed.

On the flip side, it would be tough to make the playoffs being 8 points out, though not impossible. We could fairly easily be the best non-playoff team, being 3 points out. That would put the worst case scenario at picking 16th.

I'd say we are picking 12-15ish. Sure does show that when people were saying, "man that come back is going to hurt us", they weren't wrong. Would be nice to have 6-10 less points right now.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Minnesota won today. I think realistically we end up right where we were last year at 10. I could see the Devils and maybe the Sabres passing us but no way does Pittsburg. They have packed it in.
Everyone lower than that is out of reach unless someone goes on a heater or we go damn near winless the rest of the way.

Let's say we end up at 10. Would you add both of our 2nds this year to our 1st to move up a few spots and grab Dickinson? I think I would, we have a lot of potential depth guys now we need to target some high end.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Minnesota won today. I think realistically we end up right where we were last year at 10. I could see the Devils and maybe the Sabres passing us but no way does Pittsburg. They have packed it in.
Everyone lower than that is out of reach unless someone goes on a heater or we go damn near winless the rest of the way.

Let's say we end up at 10. Would you add both of our 2nds this year to our 1st to move up a few spots and grab Dickinson? I think I would, we have a lot of potential depth guys now we need to target some high end.
Ottawa screws up their draft choices every year and goes on a run. I think you have some guys playing for their life in hockey so I don’t think we get in to the ten spot personally.

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
The Flames get hammered by the Canes.:thumbd: Thanks for nothing.
The Wild pull out the two points in ot!:thumbu:

Devils, Caps and Blues all go tomorrow.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Assuming every team below us plays at a 10% better point capture rate than they have all season (already wishful thinking). Here is where we will finish with various point capture for us.

Current Point capture (.523) - Tied for 9th
-10% (.423) - 8th
-20% (.323) - 8th
-30% (.223) - Tied 5th
-40 (.123) - Tied for 3rd
.000 - tied for 3rd

So I think this shows that top 3 is almost impossible. Top 7 is highly unlikely. 8th is about the best we could hope for but a lot would have to break right. Calgary got rid of a lot of assets, so they should play worse. I'd add them to the pile of teams we are unlikely to pass. So we are looking at 9th for the best. Pittsburgh lost a big piece as did NJ. We stayed put. So its possible they pass us, but not guaranteed.

On the flip side, it would be tough to make the playoffs being 8 points out, though not impossible. We could fairly easily be the best non-playoff team, being 3 points out. That would put the worst case scenario at picking 16th.

I'd say we are picking 12-15ish. Sure does show that when people were saying, "man that come back is going to hurt us", they weren't wrong. Would be nice to have 6-10 less points right now.
Don't worry, we'll win the lottery!

And not move up to #1...

Few things more Bluesy than that.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad