Dahlin is generational.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Cool, you should definitely go make a thread about it.
No point in making a thread asking if a non generational dman is generational... that is the point people are making with the Heiskanen comparatives. You can't be a generational dman if there is a dman in the same generation as you playing just as good as you.

Things might change if someone breaks through in some monster way but for the time being Dahlin being labeled as generational is laughable because you could reasonably argue that a d man only 9 months apart from him is just as good

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
So now your argument is literally semantics. Heiskanen is relevant because of the choice of your personal interpretation of the adjective used by someone to describe Dahlin? Do you realize how silly this is? It's like saying Dahlin is tall is fine but if you say Dahlin is very tall then the thread should be be filled with people saying "but what about chara?!?!?!"

Your argument makes no sense and again, just like the other replies, ignores half my post about how we can't have a single Dahlin thread without it being invaded by Heiskanen's PR team. Heiskanen is great, go make a thread about him.

LOL... did you just compare being generational to being tall? You realize that the tag generational is supposed to mean best player from his generation or a type of player that comes along once in a generation. It's a specific term used to put a single player above the rest. So if you can argue that someone else is on their level at a very similar age then you straight up disprove that they are a cut above their generation.

On the other hand you can have a lot of talk people because calling someone tall in no way implies he is taller than just about everyone. The comparable would be if you claimed Dahlin was the tallest player in the league. That is a description that is intended to put him above all else and that is a descriptor that could and should get met with "chara is in the league"

Reactions: snowkiddin

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
As someone who played hockey at a competitive level during the ages of 18 and 19 i can tell you there is not much of a difference if any at all. The fact that both Dahlin and Heiskanen are rookies within a year of each other in terms of age, size and experience kind of eliminates that as a non factor. Dahlin is a great young rookie and nobody is saying otherwise but to eliminate Heiskanen because he is 19 is ridiculous. Now if Dahlin was 18 and Heiskanen was 21 while both being rookies then i can see an argument.

Yet that pesky data seems to disagree with you because the ratio of 19yo D to play in the NHL to 18yo ones is dozens to 1. If that year is irrelevant, why is it so much rarer for an 18yo to stick?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Lot of crazy on this thread.

Love Heiskanen. Thought he looked great as a prospect and only continues to impress. I suspect he will be a regular Norris contender during his prime.

But put me in the camp of 9 months matters a ton at that age, both head to head for elite prospects and in general when you jump to the best men’s league in the world.

Dahlin has an awareness and view of the game at both ends that is incredible.

Where Miro will be an all star stud like Josi or Hedman or Doughty, Dahlin will be the standard.

This is not a dig on Heiskanen because he looks like he could comfortably put on a few pounds/Kg, but Dahlin’s maturity is clear, he looks like a skinny tall kid out there. I mean next year he will come back at 195-200 lbs and a whole nother set of options will open up to him that currently either fail or don’t go off as smooth as possible just due to a lack of strength and mass.

Don’t get sucked into generational players only show up one at a time every 25 years.

Gretz and Mario were both generational only 5 or so years apart.

Crosby and Ovechkin two years.

With a much larger American and world wide pool of players, you will have guys that in previous generations would have been solo mega stars, joined by 1 or 2 other monster players.

Reactions: Slimmy and 1972

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If someone mentions generational you can bet the player is going to get compared to others.

It's just asking for trouble with this little CV.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Plus, after all is said and done, it's still way too early to tell. There have been guys in the league who've had great starts to their careers, and after a few years there was a drastic downturn from what was a Hall of Fame trajectory. Jimmy Carson (one of the youngest to score 100 pts in a season), Jim Carey (one of the youngest to win a Vezina), Dion Phaneuf (Calder & Norris finalist in his early years) to name a few.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Each game I watch on center ice where the broadcasters elude to “needing 4-5 years” of nhl experience before you can come into your own and start making more great plays then bad ones (at the nhl level against superstars seldom does this happen early on) my respect grows for dahlin each and every game.

Apart of me wants him to contain his wild side with his no-look, wild back passes, that flamboyant style and scream “Keep it more simple” but that’s not really his game. Too be honest “his overall game” is something hard to describe, he is unorthodox. He can make hard plays look fast easy, then he can make easy things look hard, he really likes the puck on his stick and to be a dman at 18 in this league doing that....well, That’s where the hype/praise comes from.

I’m not one to love this generational word since mcdavid is the only guy right now coming up who looks to be a sure thing generational but there’s something special with this guy. Im finding some fans of other teams who don’t really know how to evaluate a player at this age,position,level will see him turn the puck over once or twice (then check simple things like plus minus ,points ) and then say “he had such a brutal game” ....I’ve heard this from quite a few opposing fan, with the praise there is that...I guess it just depends on how credible the person is. I am well aware he may have been brutal once or twice in those games but there’s far too much to like outweighing all that.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
He made one of the worst defensive plays I've ever seen on Luff's goal tonight. It was generationally bad ;)

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Good that will keep him on the down low even though he skated circles around the Kings and got so many chances for the team tonight. Though Eichel was definitely the most dominant player by far.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Seriously, go look at Dahlin's prospect thread and tell me the Finnish fans who went in there and ruined it are not the bad guys. You guys like Heiskanen? Start a thread about him. There is literally zero reason to invade every thread remotely connected to Dahlin and try to make it all about how good Heiskanen is.
Just thread ban the people doing it and you will still have many solid Finnish posters left. It's not every Finn doing that after all, so people shouldn't generalize things like that.

It's just annoying that thinking Heiskanen might be better than Dahlin is immediately thought as downplaying other players/Finns being biased and there wouldn't be any actual evidence backing that claim.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Just thread ban the people doing it and you will still have many solid Finnish posters left. It's not every Finn doing that after all, so people shouldn't generalize things like that.

It's just annoying that thinking Heiskanen might be better than Dahlin is immediately thought as downplaying other players/Finns being biased and there wouldn't be any actual evidence backing that claim.

Think Heiskanen is better all you want. I don't care. Just thunk and discuss in threads about Heiskanen maybe?

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
If you don't care, ignore it? This thread is about calder too. I think it's quite fitting Heiskanen gets discusssed aswell

No it is about whether Dahlin is generation as per the title of the thread (he's not). If you want to discuss Heiskanen instead then you are free to ignore this whole thread.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Think Heiskanen is better all you want. I don't care. Just thunk and discuss in threads about Heiskanen maybe?
I'd understand if this was Dahlin's thread in prospects board but this is a main board thread that is titled "Dahlin is generational". Good luck with keeping things civil here. After all, it's hard to discuss a player being generational without comparing him to other players, generational or not.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I'd understand if this was Dahlin's thread in prospects board but this is a main board thread that is titled "Dahlin is generational". Good luck with keeping things civil here. After all, it's hard to discuss a player being generational without comparing him to other players, generational or not.

Well I apologize. Perhaps I would be more agreeable to your point of view if the Heiskanen fans hadn't already ruined the Dahlin prospect thread.

EichelsJockStrap

Oct 4, 2007
Hate this thread hate the term generational. The kid is 18 and amazing that kings play is a complete fluke and could of happened to anybody lol

Reactions: Slimmy

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
That had to be the best offensive game he’s ever played and I don’t think he even
Got a point.

Chris pronger said tonight that a dman doesent mature in the NHL until his 300th game.

Not sure this is going to apply here.

Reactions: Slimmy

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
That had to be the best offensive game he’s ever played and I don’t think he even
Got a point.

Chris pronger said tonight that a dman doesent mature in the NHL until his 300th game.

Not sure this is going to apply here.

Maybe regular NHL dmen.
Generational talents should be mature much faster.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Now my argument?? My argument never changed and in fact that was my first post in the thread (well, second, my first was laughing at how every young player seems to be “generational” these days).

Anyway, this thread (and my argument) isn’t “Dahlin is good ... but what about Heiskanen?!” as you seem to think it is.

It’s “Dahlin is the best in his generation ... but what about Heiskanen?!” Heiskanen is a comparable player to Dahlin. I would argue that generational players should not have comparables in their generation. They should be in a class of their own.

FWIW (not much) I think Dahlin is better than Heiskanen but I don’t think Dahlin is generational. Bringing up Heiskanen is completely relevant in the context of this thread and I’ve never invaded Dahlin’s prospect thread to proclaim Heiskanen is better. I’m not arguing that Dahlin isn’t a superstar, I’m arguing that he isn’t generational. Isn’t the point of a discussion board to discuss?

On a bit of a side note, why are so many players given the generational tag?

Gretzky, Lemieux, Lindros, Crosby and McDavid were all called generational. Made sense as there was more or less a 10 year gap between those players.

But now we have the media and HFBoards hyping every second first overall as “generational.” Matthews, Dahlin, Lafreniere, Matthew Savoie, Connor Bedard ... 5 “generational” players in 8 years. How is that even possible?

Dahlin is damn good.
It's very easy to be generational by that logic. Just call Dahlin generational and don't call Heiskanen generational. Wait ten years and then pick someone new. There. Fixed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad