Dahlin is generational.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
A thread about a d-man being generational is going to include comparison to other defensive talents. Not sure why that's such a concern to Dahlin fans.
"Dahlin sucks!"
Finns/Stars fans: "Heiskanen sucks even more! He's got Dahlin beat in every way!"

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Since Ovechkin and Crosby entered the league, the term "generational" has been en vogue. Consider that, prior to those two, there have been 4 players considered generational over the last 100 years: Howe, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux. That's it.

Suddenly, Ovechkin and Sid enter the league and we've more than doubled the amount of "generational" players: Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Matthews, Dahlin.

4 over the course of history, then suddenly 6 more since 2005. Next Hughes will be, followed by Lafrenierre.

Personally, I think there has only been ONE generational defenseman ever, and that's Orr. Bourque, Potvin, Lidstrom, Harvey, etc. are not generational in my eyes, although they are elite, megastars.
It's the ultra-powerful nutrition and traing from future-space that constantly breeds uber-mutants.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
In Sweden we don't use the term generational, but Dahlin is the best player I've seen at such a young age in Sweden. The things he did at 16 and 17 against grown men in the arguably third best league in the world were simply amazing. He was able to control the pace of the game in a way Erik Karlsson wasn't close to do at the same age, so of course there will be hype. He has never been mistake free but then again he's a teenager playing against men and always looking to create something when he's got the puck, sometimes it won't work. He already got the IQ, the skating, the skill, imagine when he's got a bit more muscle and experience. The sky is the limit.

Drop the need to label him, he's an amazing talent and I don't think you can find a Swedish d-man what was as good at the same age, just enjoy the ride.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He might be

Based on hype and projections id say hes the best prospect since Crosby after McDavid.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Cmon now, no one has said Dahlin sucks, just that there might be a player better than him.
There are plenty of players better than Dahlin. You think that is some revelation? People are rightfully excited about what Dahlin can become. Not what he is currently.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
And like it has been brought up numerous times in this thread alone if you want to eliminate comparison then don't call Dahlin generational. That will bring in comparable player to dispute the generational question. I mean it is not rocket science but some seem to think it is.

In my post which you quoted in your own reply, I literally said he is not generational. In fact, the only person who seems to think he is is the OP, who is a leaf fan. So I don't know why you keep telling me to eliminate comparisons by not calling him generational. Keep making quips about rocket science all you'd like, but perhaps you should read the comments you are replying to before you start insulting others.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Meh, we'll disagree about McDavid for now. No player is a generational lock after 3 years. Even Mario wasn't considered generational until he won a couple of Cups and dominated in the mid-90s. I will say that McDavid has the highest potential to end up a generational player if he plays a full career.
fair enough
I would give McDavid generational since he clearly is the greatest talent of this generation. The issue is that hockey is a team sport, and even the best player in the NHL can only plays about a third of the game. It isn't like basketball where a superstar can just LeBron their way to victory dragging a bunch of scrubs. McDavid has had some pretty awful Oilers teams dragging him down, and he has still but up amazing numbers.

For Dahlin, it is definitely way way to early to declare him generational. There are literally only a very few players per generation that really earn that title (for the last generation I would say Crosby, Malkin and OV), and only one sometimes. So far it is just McDavid, maybe Dahlin or another superstar like Matthews (seeing what he can do over a full season of health would help) gets there eventually but it is too early.

Of note, having a "generational" talent is sometimes a bit overrated on HFBoards. You do need franchise super-stars that can carry a team, but you don't need the single best player of the generation in order to win a Cup; look at teams like Chicago and LA. They had some true franchise caliber players (Doughty, Kopitar and Quick v Toews, Kane and Keith). There is no reason a team like Toronto with Franchise caliber stars like Matthews, Tavares and Marner couldn't win it all, or the Jets with multiple franchise talents (Scheifele, Laine, Wheeler and Byfuglien) couldn't do something similar. Depth of high end talent usually trumps a single player in a seven game series.

Last edited:

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
There are plenty of players better than Dahlin. You think that is some revelation? People are rightfully excited about what Dahlin can become. Not what he is currently.
The thread started on the premise that he's generational. He's not even the best rookie d-man now.

Reactions: snowkiddin

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
As much as it pains me to say, Dahlin is a generational defensemen. 18 and already a #1 D in the league, perhaps already a top 10 D. In 2 or 3 years he is going to be a monster and as a fan of a team in the Atlantic he terrifies me.

Easily the Calder will be his and he will win many more trophies and sadly.. probably a cup or two.

OP has horrible takes and is just a Leafs homer. Stick to watching dragon ball in the parents basement

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Depends what world you're living in.. I went to the 2016 draft it was hyped to a tee..

I mean im sure live in the moment at the draft the hype seemed unreal lol

But from the outside and judging by how hyped the player was throughout the year id easily put Dahlin above both.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I don't think anything other than people should stop playing the victim card and act like Dahlin has been getting some kind of unfair criticism when most of it has been fair and hardly anyone has actually said he sucks like the poster I replied implied.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I watch dahlin highlights all the time and have never seen Heiskanen in any of them. Should tell you something right there.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Dahlin is a good hockey player, who's skillset and ability gives him potential to be a great player. Labeling a player is ridiculous and has no bearing on how the guy plays the game. If we must label him, let his career carve out what kind of a player he really is.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad