Confirmed with Link: Dadanov to Vegas for Holden and a pick

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If Holden is our top 4 D target this is anL

Now if we use the salary we cleared up to get a better talent then this is a win

Lol guess I wasn't too far off when I said we'd get a MDZ type and call it a day.

I'll celebrate getting rid of Dadonov if we manage to replace him with a better RW. Otherwise we were better off with him around.

Exactly. The true efficiency and judgement of this trade is based on how we utilize the cap space we just freed up.

The trade is great for us, acquiring Holden as a solution is not. But depending what else we can do could be huge string of moves or just lateral progression.

We needed top 4 insulation and we got another bottom pair guy. Ergo, we have not improved the roster.

And getting Holden, does that mean Brannstrom gets traded too?

Chabot
Holden
Brannstrom
Mete
(Sanderson)

Absolutely not. Holden is bottom pair guy. He has spurts of top 4 showings but he’s in no our our 2nd best LD.

Reactions: Emrasie

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Good return for a player that just didn’t fit on our team. I wish Dadonov all the best in VGK!

Now do Tierney..

Reactions: STUDtzle

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
How do you know the time isn't now for Sanderson they wanted him to leave school at the end of last yr. Brannstrom hasn't shown anything to show he will be one of the higher scoring defencemen in the league? That's a pipe dream IMO, but good luck with it.

2021 d-men playing 50% of GP or more
Brannstrom 0.43 PPG = 51st out of 195 d-men... in effectively his rookie season, playing behind Chabot. That's a very promising start.

Also, his career AHL line of 81-10-50-60 is very impressive.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
2021 d-men playing 50% of GP or more
Brannstrom 0.43 PPG = 51st out of 195 d-men... in effectively his rookie season, playing behind Chabot. That's a very promising start.

Also, his career AHL line of 81-10-50-60 is very impressive.
Yea, I'm not buying it, he looked weak defensively & got overpowered numerous times. He's a transition piece to me until Sanderson gets here, you can throw out all the stats you want, but they didn't spend a 5th OA to not play him over a guy the coach doesn't want. We'll see, but I don't see Sanderson spending anytime in the AHL.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Holden was the whipping boy in Colorado. He gained back some solid play with NYR and was just bottom pair guy on Vegas.

Point of this trade is not Holden and none of us should have any top 4 expectations for this guy. Good depth but we needed top 4. The 3rd round pick plus huge cap relief on a guy who doesn’t fit this team is what makes this a solid win for us. Our next move could make it even better.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I have no problem replacing mete. I have a problem with us not replacing Josh Brown with an upgrade
This.

Josh Brown as a 7th defenseman? Good
Mete as a 7 defenseman? Good
Holden as a 6th defenseman? Good.

Our problem is that we need Joshn Brown to be a quality 5th defenseman who can play with Mete or Holden.

Reactions: TheNewEra

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Holden just finished with 7 points in 15 games in the playoffs for Vegas. He has some offence in his game, would be interesting to see how DJ uses him. Big body, but isn't really a physical defender.

Solid win for the Ottawa Pierres on this move, dumping Daddy's contract while also gaining a 3rd pick!

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
This.

Josh Brown as a 7th defenseman? Good
Mete as a 7 defenseman? Good
Holden as a 6th defenseman? Good.

Our problem is that we need Joshn Brown to be a quality 5th defenseman who can play with Mete or Holden.

Agreed. Or preferably a #4 dman so we can reduce some minutes from Zaistev. Zaistev always plays better when he plays less minutes.

With Winnipeg getting 2 dmen, Demelo might actually be on the block. That is the type of pickup we should be going for imo

Reactions: IranCondraAffair

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Formenton can play RW.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stützle - TBD - Brown
Paul - White - Formenton
TBD - TBD - Watson

In contention for 2C: Pinto, L.Brown, acquisition
In contention for 4th line: Kelly, Crookshank, Tierney (if he's still here), Bishop

If Sokolov breaks in, Formenton goes back to LW.

Yes we have two gaping holes at C that might be filled by Tierney, L. Brown, Pinto, Bishop, or Paul. Eichel would look good at the #1 spot but our youth and future draft picks would be gutted. Too soon to go the trade route, but awfully tempting.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Yea, I'm not buying it, he looked weak defensively & got overpowered numerous times. He's a transition piece to me until Sanderson gets here, you can throw out all the stats you want, but they didn't spend a 5th OA to not play him over a guy the coach doesn't want. We'll see, but I don't see Sanderson spending anytime in the AHL.

We understand that your obsession with size colours every opinion that you have.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Agreed. Or preferably a #4 dman so we can reduce some minutes from Zaistev. Zaistev always plays better when he plays less minutes.

With Winnipeg getting 2 dmen, Demelo might actually be on the block. That is the type of pickup we should be going for imo
I mean if we want to get greedy, someone like him (maybe a pinch better) who could play with Chabot/Brannstrom would be the REAL ideal.

Chabot - Zub
Brannstrom - X
Holden - Zaitsev.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I mean if we want to get greedy, someone like him (maybe a pinch better) who could play with Chabot/Brannstrom would be the REAL ideal.

Chabot - Zub
Brannstrom - X
Holden - Zaitsev.

Thats true. I suggested Demelo since he has shown he can take a regular shift with Chabot so we wouldnt have to stack the top pairing. That being said if Bran and Demelo works as a pairing then that idea is good too

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I suppose Dadonov @ 5M for 2 more years isn't terrible given some of the ridiculous contracts given out this off-season, and I still don't understand this at all from a Vegas perspective, but god bless them for bailing Dorion out of a bad contract and paying a 3rd for the pleasure.

Dadonov was not good for us last year and makes an average salary of 5.75M in his last two years. Huge win getting out of that deal. 3rd and a solid depth D in Holden is just a bonus.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad