Confirmed with Link: Dadanov to Vegas for Holden and a pick

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He’s old but another year tacked on to insulate Sanderson would be ideal. The type of D Sanderson needs as a partner to allow him to play his game. The last thing we want is a Del Zotto playing with Sandy next season as it would stifle his offensive play.

Reactions: bert

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Holden was a late bloomer, he did have a good rookie season but he was already 26 y/o then he struggled bit until he got in New York where he had his career season. He was a ~20 mins guy in his prime (Colorado/NYR) and even in Vegas as a support player he was playing ~18 mins when he played

Dadonov didn't fit in Ottawa but Dorion really did well here, traded Dadonov when he was going to become more expensive (Vegas care about AAV, not salary) and got back Holden and a nice pick (we drafted Oliver Johansson with a 3rd this year)

I wouldn't mind having Holden another year if we still need a stop gap. Good veteran, not expensive, not risky. Which also made me wonder why we signed MDZ exactly? Maybe to play safe and have more depth in case of injury or trade (Brannstrom?)

This is in Dorion's "good moves" file. We need that file to get bigger

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
This is one of the worst moves a GM has made in years. There are lots of examples of terrible trades driven by dumping salary but Vegas added salary just so dumb.

Reactions: SquidNasty

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Almost makes up for the Zibanejad trade
Not defending Dorion but the Zibby trade had Murray’s fingerprints all over it. Murray absolutely loved Brassard and tried to acquire him from Columbus for 2 straight years.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He’s old but another year tacked on to insulate Sanderson would be ideal. The type of D Sanderson needs as a partner to allow him to play his game. The last thing we want is a Del Zotto playing with Sandy next season as it would stifle his offensive play.

Sanderson & Holden are both left shots although Holden could play the right side, it's much more likely that it will be one of Zub or Zaitsev play with Sanderson & my guess would be Zaitsev. They also need to find a partner for Chabot.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Agreed. Acquiring Stepan last season really showed his growth as GM.

Stepan has shown himself to be useful - if you want to use his few games here as evidence Dorion is an idiot - than have at it. Gud and Stepan look like nice pieces in the right environment.

There are deals like Skinner and Lucic out there … I’m not remotely worried about Dorion trying to bring in the best option he though the could at Center for a second.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What a pickup he's been. I was completely off in my evaluation of the role Holden would play here. I was absolutely ecstatic with the move because I presumed it free'd up cap space for us to acquire a legit top 4 defender.

Didn't realize Holden would be the one to do it! 2 birds one stone. I don't know if Dorion got extremely lucky, is a mastermind, or a bit of both.

It was very clear we needed at minimum 1 top 4 defender last off-season. Holden has become that guy.

Reactions: SquidNasty

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Even if Holden did nothing this year this trade was a win from day 1. Dadonov was horrible here, wasn't able to drive offense and got the odd point here and there just by all the opportunities he was given (Ice time, teammates, PP time). Getting that contract off the books, even if we had nothing in return was a no brainer.

Getting Holden is just the cherry on top, and it turned out way better than anyone anticipated. Holden is the type of vet you want on your team.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not defending Dorion but the Zibby trade had Murray’s fingerprints all over it. Murray absolutely loved Brassard and tried to acquire him from Columbus for 2 straight years.
This can't be real. All timer for you.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Even if Holden did nothing this year this trade was a win from day 1. Dadonov was horrible here, wasn't able to drive offense and got the odd point here and there just by all the opportunities he was given (Ice time, teammates, PP time). Getting that contract off the books, even if we had nothing in return was a no brainer.

Getting Holden is just the cherry on top, and it turned out way better than anyone anticipated. Holden is the type of vet you want on your team.
I anticipated it. Proof in this thread. Literally had posters tell me I was wrong and that Del Zotto was better because of what Columbus posters had to say about him. Then again I actually watch other teams.

What a pickup he's been. I was completely off in my evaluation of the role Holden would play here. I was absolutely ecstatic with the move because I presumed it free'd up cap space for us to acquire a legit top 4 defender.

Didn't realize Holden would be the one to do it! 2 birds one stone. I don't know if Dorion got extremely lucky, is a mastermind, or a bit of both.

It was very clear we needed at minimum 1 top 4 defender last off-season. Holden has become that guy.

Big fan of this guy. Loved his game in the playoffs.

Did anyone here commenting on how they think Holden is useless etc watch Vegas in the playoffs?

He probably just watched Vegas play in the playoffs. Or maybe just fell into it, hard to say. I really don't trust his pro scouting. Vegas did need to dump salary.

It was also blatantly obvious he should have been paired with Zub in a shut down role early. That took too long to happen. That's when the season started to turn around. Solidifying a second pair changed everything for this team.

Hate this. But if this means they free up money for the RFAs I will grudgingly accept it. But don't like it
Bridge Formenton too right.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Well, I guess Murray's unsuccessful attempts were probably because he wouldn't include a player like Zbad in the deal. Dorion knew how to get it done.
But zibanejad would have been a 30 pt player here. He needed that trade to light a fire under his….bs, bs, bs, etc., bla, bla, excuses.

This Holden trade just cleaned up a f up by Dorion. Make a terrible move, then reverse it, yay!
20 other terrible moves irreversible

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I agree - I don’t think Murray liked the character and we heard Melynk wasn’t interested in giving him $50 million or whatever.

In retrospect perhaps a hardline negotiation for a 2 year deal would have let Zibby reach his peak and let the Sens get more value out of a trade.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I agree - I don’t think Murray liked the character and we heard Melynk wasn’t interested in giving him $50 million or whatever.

In retrospect perhaps a hardline negotiation for a 2 year deal would have let Zibby reach his peak and let the Sens get more value out of a trade.
The Zibby trade was horrific because of the targeted return.

Reactions: Cosmix

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Holden is a gem.

He doesn't wipe out the Zibby trade, nowhere close. And honestly, I don't get why people would try to sour a nice trade by Dorion by dragging a shit trade back into the limelight.
Does the Holden trade wipe out the Mark Stone trade???

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Another yr for Holden LD gives Kleven LD another yr to get NHL ready at UND or Belleville.

Reactions: Cosmix

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Holden is a gem.

He doesn't wipe out the Zibby trade, nowhere close. And honestly, I don't get why people would try to sour a nice trade by Dorion by dragging a shit trade back into the limelight.

It's people's coping mechanism for being wrong about Dorion.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
We could have 3 good D pairings next year

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Brannstrom
Holden-Thomson
(Hopefully we can find a way to trade Zaitsev)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad