Confirmed with Link: Dadanov to Vegas for Holden and a pick

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
All i took it as is White looks pretty generic and lots of people look like him lol.

Oh sure, lots of ways to take it I suppose, but he’s commenting on White’s looks basically saying the young man looks like a middle aged man.

It’s a diss based on looks, which is pretty petty.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This was such an awesome deal.

Many people thought it was awesome for Dorion to sign Dadonov as a UFA; now many think Dorion is awesome for trading him away for a 3rd round draft pick and an old vet D man who was on waivers last season and will likely be out of the league after this season. And we cannot forget the Hoffman - Boedker trade. And the Zibanejad - Brassard trade.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Many people thought it was awesome for Dorion to sign Dadonov as a UFA; now many think Dorion is awesome for trading him away for a 3rd round draft pick and an old vet D man who was on waivers last season and will likely be out of the league after this season. And we cannot forget the Hoffman - Boedker trade. And the Zibanejad - Brassard trade.

It’s really not that complicated.

It seemed like a good move at the time, the player didn’t end up working up, so the GM didn’t get bogged down on sentiment, or some need to double down on a trade. He simply turned around and recouped some assets for a guy who cost us nothing but money and moved on.

We got a player and a pick for essential the cheapest year of a contract that cost us zero player or pick assets.

No one anywhere is labelling Holden that way, and he had a pretty darn good playoffs according to Vegas fans. Maybe you should be a little more patient with your player assessments, as in let the guy play a game or two? I see him as the perfect player to flip to another playoff team at the deadline as well. It was an excellent deal.

It’s a net win across the board, and really, nothing like any of the other trades you mentioned.

It’s ok to give credit when it’s due as well ;)

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

To be fair I'd rather see us own the mistake and cut ties sooner rather than wait and keep him for no reason. To me it was clear this guy wasn't a fit on the team. That's on the pro scouting for not foreseeing this situation but at the same time the risk ended up being low and getting Holden and a 3rd isn't anything bad.

Reactions: bert

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Essentially we paid for one year of Dadonov in exchange for a 3rd rounder, Holden for 3/4 of the upcoming season, and whatever he’s able to return at the deadline as a productive playoff player last season.

In the end we will have bought one, perhaps two draft picks.

This was great #assetmanagement

Reactions: Sweatred and DJB

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Essentially we paid for one year of Dadonov in exchange for a 3rd rounder, Holden for 3/4 of the upcoming season, and whatever he’s able to return at the deadline as a productive playoff player last season.

Seems like a hefty price to pay to buy a third round pick...

Honestly, I liked the acquisition of Dadonov, it didn't work out so we moved on, I like the deal we made to move on, not sure Holden is who I'd have targetted but that's nitpicking.

I wouldn't frame it as great asset management per say, we just made lemonade out of lemons. Everybody likes lemonade!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Seems like a hefty price to pay to buy a third round pick...

Honestly, I liked the acquisition of Dadonov, it didn't work out so we moved on, I like the deal we made to move on, not sure Holden is who I'd have targetted but that's nitpicking.

I wouldn't frame it as great asset management per say, we just made lemonade out of lemons. Everybody likes lemonade!

Oh no doubt, it was a signing that didn’t work out.

Getting out of the situation by being given assets is a huge win. Holden will likely garner another pick at the deadline as well based on his last years performance in the playoffs.

In my opinion it was a great way to manage an asset that wasn’t working for us, but however we term it, I like lemonade as well!

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I LOVE when we buy picks :)

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Good points. I forgot to consider the whole history of the team when assessing this deal. Also Redden over Chara.

Really the only silver lining is that with the exponential rate of anthropogenic global warming we probably won't have to suffer through this much longer before society breaks down into a wild orgy of murder, bloodlust and anarchy.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

i liked the trade at the time and I respect that he had the nuts to cash in the chips and move on.
I guess we’ll see if he thrives elsewhere.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

every GM has bad signing and loses trades, Doug Wilson is league wide respected and look at his teams. Horrid trades and signings through the entire lineup and a bottom team. Also has the Thornton and Burns trades draft Marleau and Couture bring in a Pavelski and years of good goaltending. Dorion is closer now to the second scenario here and not the first.

a good sign of a good GM is not avoiding mistakes because they all make them, it’s fixing mistakes and Dorion’s done a ton of that with this team - traded Phaneuf which seemed impossible, traded Dadonov what wasnt a fit on this team, bought out Ryan not his fault and Alex Burrows his fault. He’s made some moves the last few years which have made a huge impact of the good culture we see now. Clearing the way for Brady Tkachuk to lead this team takes guts and a firm Belief and it looks like if he can be sly with his limited budget he could have a team.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like the trade ... still like it. Glad we had a chance to get Dadonov off the books.. He was not a good fit here. He cost us his salary for 1 year... no players exchanged , no picks exchanged not much... and we got a player I think will help back and a pick that no doubt will turn into the next Brayden Point only bigger. We're good.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Good points. I forgot to consider the whole history of the team when assessing this deal. Also Redden over Chara.

Really the only silver lining is that with the exponential rate of anthropogenic global warming we probably won't have to suffer through this much longer before society breaks down into a wild orgy of murder, bloodlust and anarchy.
You had me at orgy. Stopped ready after that and assume it's all good going forward

Reactions: Fenix Rises 2026

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like the trade ... still like it. Glad we had a chance to get Dadonov off the books.. He was not a good fit here. He cost us his salary for 1 year... no players exchanged , no picks exchanged not much... and we got a player I think will help back and a pick that no doubt will turn into the next Brayden Point only bigger. We're good.

i always saw this as Brayden Point AND Holden for Dadonov. When you look at it this way big win for the Sens long and short term

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Hunker in the bunker!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It appears that no they did not.

Holden probably looking at his situation right now and thinking if he can get some chemistry with Brann and they are NHL regulars for 82 games he can get himself a nice little extension with Ottawa and find a home

Reactions: Que

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad