D Ville Heinola - Manitoba Moose, AHL (2019, 20th, WPG)

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
I would have never predicted that Heinola would start in the NHL this season, but here we are. He looked really good today, just so calm. That being said, I still think he needs more time to gain strength and improve his speed, so I hope he gets sent down if it looks like he can't handle it yet.

Reactions: slumpy43

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Heinola can play in the AHL, they don't HAVE to send him back to the Liiga even if he doesn't crack the NHL roster or if he's getting sent down after 9 games.

They do per IIHF rules. They went over it on air the other day. He has no choice he has to play out his contract if he doesnt play NHL.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Why wouldnt he be able to ? opt-out clause? The season in Liiga is already two weeks old, if they plan on sendin ghim back, its a bad plan IMO. Means hes missed the whole camp and now he has to come in cold to play ? On top of jet lag ? Yeesh, thats bad management if it is. Keeping him up could be even worse though, as weve seen with Kotkaniemi.

No as per IIHF rules if he doesnt play with the Jets in the NHL he has to play out the remaining year of his contract. So its NHL or Liiga for Heinola.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Yes the transfer agreement dictates that he has to play in Finland if not NHL. I suppose theoretically his Finnish club might have the right to waive their entitlement to have him back but they wouldn't do that I'm sure.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Why is his case different than other Finns? Kotkaniemi was eligible for AHL last year.

Was he still under contract with his Liiga team? If he was then he was not eligible for AHL. You could maybe convince the team to terminate the contract but most teams wouldnt and they would likely prefer to have a player of that calibre with them.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yes the transfer agreement dictates that he has to play in Finland if not NHL. I suppose theoretically his Finnish club might have the right to waive their entitlement to have him back but they wouldn't do that I'm sure.

Yeah I cant see any team doing that. Doesnt help them in any way.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Was he still under contract with his Liiga team? If he was then he was not eligible for AHL. You could maybe convince the team to terminate the contract but most teams wouldnt and they would likely prefer to have a player of that calibre with them.
Thats how every team does it, lol. He still had a 2 years contract.

They need to terminate his contract for him to play NHL, pretty sure, all three options are open.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Every contract is like that, its not actually a hard line.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Someone should tell the Jets broadcast team. Because they've been telling us for the last two weeks that he cant play in the AHL.

Proof is in the pudding....Mikko Rantanen, Rasmus Ristolainen, Kasperi Kapanen and Jesse Puljujarvi are recent examples of players who had Liiga contracts and spent some or all of their D+1 seasons in the AHL.

Sounds like the Jets broadcasters confused the international agreement with the CHL transfer agreement.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Proof is in the pudding....Mikko Rantanen, Rasmus Ristolainen, Kasperi Kapanen and Jesse Puljujarvi are recent examples of players who had Liiga contracts and spent some or all of their D+1 seasons in the AHL.

Sounds like the Jets broadcasters confused the international agreement with the CHL transfer agreement.

Only other thing I can think of is the Liiga team is refusing to terminate. Has that ever happened?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Only other thing I can think of is the Liiga team is refusing to terminate. Has that ever happened?

Per that WPG insider who claims to have spoke to team sources

"...his Finnish contract doesn't stop Winnipeg from sending him to the Moose..."

I don't know, I'm not a CBA expert but that sounds like Lukko has no say this and WPG can send him to Manitoba without their consent or termination of his Liiga contract. I could be wrong but going off that Tweet and the numerous examples of Fins playing in the AHL after their draft year, I want to believe that is the case.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

"...his Finnish contract doesn't stop Winnipeg from sending him to the Moose..."

I don't know, I'm not a CBA expert but that sounds like Lukko has no say this and WPG can send him to Manitoba without their consent or termination of his Liiga contract. I could be wrong but going off that Tweet and the numerous examples of Fins playing in the AHL after their draft year, I want to believe that is the case.

I'd have to read the transfer agreement. Cant find it through google.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Lol... when you cant admit you were wrong....
He wasn’t really wrong at all. In those mentioned other cases the player and their previous Liiga team were willing to agree for the player to stay in North America even though they officially had a contract with the Liiga team. If Lukko (and Heinola himself for that matter) holds on to their right, the Jets will not be keeping Heinola in the AHL. Of course it is still possible that they can come together with an agreement. But NHL teams don’t have any subjective rights to send a player to the AHL if they still have a valid contract with a Liiga team.

Of course there might be something agreed in advance between the player and the teams that even allows the Jets to send Heinola to AHL instead of Lukko. I doubt this is really the case though, as there has been that much talks about him having to honor the contract with Lukko, if he will not make it to the NHL team for the full season. It has been discussed also in some Finnish hockey magazines that if Heinola doesn't make it in the NHL, then Lukko gets him back. Those magazines tend to know their stuff when they write about these kind of things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fire Chevy

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Someone should tell the Jets broadcast team. Because they've been telling us for the last two weeks that he cant play in the AHL.
Listening to the Jets broadcasting team is a good way to receive a lot of incorrect information.

Reactions: Koira666

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Listening to the Jets broadcasting team is a good way to receive a lot of incorrect information.

It is and I argued the opposite to but it looks like it's entirely up to the Liiga team if he plays AHL. I'd imagine many likely just take the compensation and move on but maybe the Jets made an agreement with them. Otherwise it seems weird that everyone on the broadcast team keeps saying that if he doesnt play for the Jets he will go back to Liiga. Youd think they would get their info directly from the Jets staff.

Reactions: Ippenator

ijuka

May 14, 2016

I couldn't find it anywhere even though I tried searching. But from memory I'm pretty sure that first-round picks can be sent to AHL. And players drafted after the first must be sent back to Liiga. Unless things have changed in the past few years.

However, the Lukko GM this summer said that "barring miracles, Heinola will be in a very big role with us" - implying that Heinola would need to make NHL otherwise - and I think a Finnish newspaper also said that Heinola can either be in NHL or return to Liiga. Ilta-sanomat, perhaps?

That's why I tried searching for confirmation about the differences of 1st round picks and non-1st round picks because I do recall there being some sort of a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Heinola's, being 1st round pick, destiny (this year) is dictated by WPG. NHL, AHL or sending him back to Finland, all depend solely on Jets. Another Lukko prospect also having signed already with Lukko for this season, Reunanen (NYR), on the other hand has only Liiga/NHL options as he wasn't 1st round pick.

Here's an article in Finnish where Lukko's sporting director Sahlstedt explicitly describes the situation for both of their young stars:
Liigaseura vaarassa menettää timanttinsa, 18-vuotias suomalaislupaus vakuutti NHL-leirillä välittömästi – ”Hänestä tulee ratkaisupelaaja”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad