Prospect Info: D Ty Smith

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Point of caution here, and what did Brian Sakic accomplish thereafter in the NHL despite his 10 points in a single game league record ?
Eh, Sakic was a C and his 10 points came in a 19-3 drubbing of the Seattle Thunderbirds, in an era when his team averaged around 5.5 GF and GA per game.

Not really comparable.

But a great night for Ty in any case. Hope his game translates because we really need to hit on a couple of blueliners.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Any chance he can finish in the AHL if Binghamton makes the playoffs? He’s on an over 100 point pace in the WHL post WJC I think. He would seem to be done with junior hickey at this point.
Spokane has already clinched a WHL playoff spot and have the 5th best record in the WHL. But their division includes the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the WHL, so they will have very challenging 1st and potential 2nd round matchups. If they get eliminated 1st round its possible we'd see Smith in game 82

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Any chance he can finish in the AHL if Binghamton makes the playoffs? He’s on an over 100 point pace in the WHL post WJC I think. He would seem to be done with junior hickey at this point.
Does that use up a year on his ELC though? Duh, no, what am I thinking, but if it was for the NHL club would it?

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Cale Makar played 10 playoff games last year and it did take a year off his ELC. I'd assume AHL playoffs may work the same

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

“What is an Entry Level Slide?

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count),”

Assuming capfriendly is correct, the AHL games won’t count against his contract sliding.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

“What is an Entry Level Slide?

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count),”

Assuming capfriendly is correct, the AHL games won’t count against his contract sliding.
Ah thank you. Good news for us potentially

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Apart from his poor camp (which wasn't catastrophically bad), it's hard to ask more from one of your mid-to-late first round picks than what Smith has done.

I'm going to be that guy and say Hynes is the reason Smith struggled this year's camp. I think last year they just let him do his thing but this year they wanted him to play the Hynes defensive mindset (which sucks). I could be crazy but I thought there was stuff about how Hynes wanted him to play with more intensity or w/e...when that's not his game at all.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He follows up the 8 point game with a two goal performance.

5 goals, 5 assists (4 primary) in the last 48 hours
On the season he has 17 goals in 42 games. Last year he had 7 in 57, the year prior 14 in 69.

Conversely his assists are down, 35 in 42 this year, 62 in 57 last year.

Is this due to a change in his game? Or just standard statistical fluctuation?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
On the season he has 17 goals in 42 games. Last year he had 7 in 57, the year prior 14 in 69.

Conversely his assists are down, 35 in 42 this year, 62 in 57 last year.

Is this due to a change in his game? Or just standard statistical fluctuation?
I think that team is scoring less this season, but someone correct me if I am wrong.

So, he’s trending down you say? :sarcasm:
You’re sick :rolleyes:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm going to be that guy and say Hynes is the reason Smith struggled this year's camp. I think last year they just let him do his thing but this year they wanted him to play the Hynes defensive mindset (which sucks). I could be crazy but I thought there was stuff about how Hynes wanted him to play with more intensity or w/e...when that's not his game at all.
I don't know if it was wanting Smith to play with more intensity which was the problem, it may have been the same problem we saw with many of our D in that Hynes seemed to put more of an emphasis on puck control then just making the traditional hockey play of moving the puck up ice.

And the puck control philosophy does seem to contradict the idea of playing with more intensity. At least in some ways.

So I do agree Hynes may have been the problem, but don't think I agree on the particulars.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think that team is scoring less this season, but someone correct me if I am wrong.
Looks like they are scoring a little more this year as a team.

But just some poking around I see that while Smith has 35 assists this year, there are also 2 other d-men with 32 or more assists, and 5 D-men total with double digit assists. And the season is not yet finished, . Where as last year Smith had 62 assists in 57 games, while only one other d-man had over 30 assists, and only 3 guys total had double digit assists, and and that was over a full season. So I'd guess they are spreading the offensive opportunities around more.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Looks like they are scoring a little more this year as a team.

But just some poking around I see that while Smith has 35 assists this year, there are also 2 other d-men with 32 or more assists, and 5 D-men total with double digit assists. And the season is not yet finished, . Where as last year Smith had 62 assists in 57 games, while only one other d-man had over 30 assists, and only 3 guys total had double digit assists, and and that was over a full season. So I'd guess they are spreading the offensive opportunities around more.
Hmm interesting, makes sense.

I think someone in this thread or another said it's like a 100 point pace or something.
:naughty::nod:

Reactions: Blackjack

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Last year Spokane’s leading scorer had 75 points in 65 games. So far this year, the leading scorer has 99 points in 59 games.

Team averaged 3.9 goals per game last year and 4.0 last year. They’re really only different due to rounding.

So team scoring isn’t much different but it’s more heavily concentrated on the top scorers, so that’s helpful for the defenseman getting to play with those top guys.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Spokane has already clinched a WHL playoff spot and have the 5th best record in the WHL. But their division includes the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the WHL, so they will have very challenging 1st and potential 2nd round matchups. If they get eliminated 1st round its possible we'd see Smith in game 82

I hope the Chiefs can a lot least play more than one round in the playoffs this year and Smith can really tear it up since he’s gotten so hot. Unfortunately you’re right, all our hopes and dreams may be dead after the first round because both potential matchups are brutal. I’m guessing facing Dustin Wolf in the first round is the worst case scenario but it’s tough either way.

Smith did struggle in the pre-season but it wasn’t that much of a setback and people don’t need to blame Hynes for it. Outside of the top two studs, only four defensemen drafted in 2018 played in the NHL this year. Three of them played part time in the AHL and only Boqvist and Sandin are still up. Dobson was the only defenseman not sent back to juniors and Lou admitted he only kept him due to the NYI’s lack of defensive depth. Dobson was healthy scratched a bunch until Pelech had a season ending injury and he’s been replaced by Greene since the trade.

Smith turns 20 in March, I’m glad they didn’t rush him and just sent him back without putting him in regular season games. People still need to be patient about his development rather than cast him as next year’s defensive savior.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00