Injury Report: D Travis Dermott undergoes shoulder surgery, out 6 months

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The fact that Dermott will not be available to late November, miss all of training camp, preseason and the start of the year will put a real strain on the Leafs defense for 2019-20 that already has many questions surrounding its composition for next year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With UFAs Gardiner and Hainsey potentially cap casualties and Dermott missing the first couple months the Leafs defense is going to look a lot different to start the year.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
6 months is worst case scenario, same as the Hyman prognosis. I see them both being ready for the start of the season if not shortly after, they will both be taking part in training camp meaning they can both still go through the drills and conditioning. They may miss a week or two of game action but I would be very surprised.

But it does say a lot about both players and what they had to play through in the Boston series. Both needing surgery. Same with Gardiner, we have no news as to what is troubling him. But I wouldn't be surprised if he too has some sort of surgery. Probably holding out on it so it doesn't impact his next contract. But when you have 3 key players like we did, playing on will alone because of bad injuries. There is no doubt now that we would have been better had they not been injured. We are not talking 4th line players here. These 3 players were very important players for the Leafs to succeed this past season.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Toughness and grit, Toughness and grit

Hurrah for Patrick O'Thuggo, Hyman and Dermott,

Stupid Ivan Svensky and that magical European set would not dare put their team at risk due to their inability to play the way good and tough girder would, and now we see were we sit

And now we have stupid Dubas with his Age of Reason analytics and spreadsheets and building the Leafs from some stupid Hockey Lab when we at Leafs Nation know we need more players like Hyman and Dermott, hindering our chances, putting us in a spot

Need to fire Dubas so we can get someone in here that would have us swept in 4, and get rid of analytics and have the new GM do as he sees fit.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
So, in regards to Dermott, are we all now abandoning the (false) narrative that missing camp/preseason/start of the year results in a “write off year” for the player?

Dermott is now allowed to be flat out crap all season, right? And it won’t be his fault in the slightest, right?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
So, in regards to Dermott, are we all now abandoning the (false) narrative that missing camp/preseason/start of the year results in a “write off year” for the player?

Dermott is now allowed to be flat out crap all season, right? And it won’t be his fault in the slightest, right?
No, but he's allowed an adjustment period to get back up to speed. Hopefully it's less than the 20 games for Nylander

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018

Are you really still that hurt and miserable about Willie's season? Do you also find ways to push his narrative into your real life? "Honey since I couldn't mow the lawn those first 2 weeks because of my back, I'm just going to take the whole summer off now and you're just have to deal with it like us Leafs fans had to with Willie"

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
What if he hasn't bottomed out yet?

While it's possible, I think the betting line on his PPG next year would be comfortably above 0.5 and I doubt many of you would be willing to put money on him regressing further next year. If so PM me and we can set something up.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
While it's possible, I think the betting line on his PPG next year would be comfortably above 0.5 and I doubt many of you would be willing to put money on him regressing further next year. If so PM me and we can set something up.
I certainly don't expect him to be worse.
The bar is set pretty low right now, no doubt he can clear it.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Toughness and grit, Toughness and grit

Hurrah for Patrick O'Thuggo, Hyman and Dermott,

Stupid Ivan Svensky and that magical European set would not dare put their team at risk due to their inability to play the way good and tough girder would, and now we see were we sit

And now we have stupid Dubas with his Age of Reason analytics and spreadsheets and building the Leafs from some stupid Hockey Lab when we at Leafs Nation know we need more players like Hyman and Dermott, hindering our chances, putting us in a spot

Need to fire Dubas so we can get someone in here that would have us swept in 4, and get rid of analytics and have the new GM do as he sees fit.

Analytics have completely wrecked the the game of baseball and its viewing pleasure, its intrenching itself in the game of hockey as well and the sports eye test also says so....

Leafs are in a tough spot...Analytics or Egocock hockey?....Theres no winning answer here sorry

Reactions: AreBe

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
With UFAs Gardiner and Hainsey potentially cap casualties and Dermott missing the first couple months the Leafs defense is going to look a lot different to start the year.

Reilly - XXX
Muzzin - Zaitsev*
Rosen - XXX

That is what we have right now, even Zaitsev is a question mark if he becomes a cap casualty. I thought Dermott was going to get promoted to top RHD to start the year but that seems like a pipe dream now.

I'd wager Liljegren gets that bottom pairing RHD if Zaitsev stays, paired with Muzzin if Zaitsev goes.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
As much as this sucks for Travis I wonder if we offer him an extension this summer now. Give him a guaranteed $2-$3M on a 3 year deal and protects him against a bad contract year coming off the injury. The reward is obviously a cheap top 4 D for the next 3 seasons.

They need to start locking kids up the year before their final year. I extend him 4-5 years for 2.5 to 3 per. Now will his agent go for it who knows but we can’t afford to mess up like we did last year with Nylander, Matthews and what will now be a very expensive Marner.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
They need to start locking kids up the year before their final year. I extend him 4-5 years for 3 per. Now will his agent go for it who knows but we can’t afford to mess up like we did last year with Nylander, Matthews and what will now be a very expensive Marner.
Like I said the guaranteed money going into a contract year where he'll start with an injury should be enough to convince him.

The good thing is that we have 4 years until a Liljegren extension would kick in and possibly 5 with Sandin.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
D core to start the year might look this way.

Rielly - Trade
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Sandin - Liljegren

Dermott *starts on IR.
Rosen

Where does Dermott fit, if and possibly Sandin is incredibly impressive? For me, Id play him with Muzzin if I could somehow get rid of the Zaitsev contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad