D Thomas Harley - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2019, 18th, DAL)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah but he is just on the team because he’s massive. Not that he’s a bad defenseman but Thomas Harley is definitely better. I really thought he had earned a roster spot on Dallas. But, Canada is absolutely stacked at D though with Addison, Smith, Byram, Drysdale, Bernard-Docker, McIssac, and Bahl.
He's there because he plays for the 67's and Tourginay is coaching the D, who also happens to coach the 67s. Size may be a factor, but he's not just there because he's huge.

Reactions: d rake

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's there because he plays for the 67's and Tourginay is coaching the D, who also happens to coach the 67s. Size may be a factor, but he's not just there because he's huge.

I still think it's the wrong choice. Bahl might be adequate defensively and its not necessarily always a bad idea to include a defensemen or two that is more of a defensive type, but isn't that what McIsaac and JBD are known for? It seems as if Bahl is viewed as a needed presence because he's the biggest defenseman Canada could find to include on the team, and that must then make him a tremendous defensive presence. I've never seen anyone talk about Bahl as a great defensive presence, and the little I've seen, I haven't been that impressed. This isn't to say he's not an adequate defensive defensemen, but the bar to make the defense on Canada is high. Players of Bahl's caliber aren't good enough to make it, in my opinion.

I think this was an error that we will see manifest itself in not winning gold, along with playing Foote in a big role, playing Lavoie in a big role, having Dudas on the third line, and the goaltending situation. I think Harley should've made it over Bahl, and if Bahl's going to be on the team, at least have him as 7th defensemen with Drysdale in the top 6. But I could be wrong. Thats only my opinion.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If Harley progresses the way quite a few people expect him beeing cut means we won't get to play in any WJC because he makes the Stars next year. Spot should be availabe to take on the Stars blueline. Two guys are UFA in Sekera and Polak .

Oh well Canadas loss i guess.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
I think it's because they want Bahl and McIsaac to be a shut down pair or to have them be stay at homes with the more agressive offensively defensemen.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I still think it's the wrong choice. Bahl might be adequate defensively and its not necessarily always a bad idea to include a defensemen or two that is more of a defensive type, but isn't that what McIsaac and JBD are known for? It seems as if Bahl is viewed as a needed presence because he's the biggest defenseman Canada could find to include on the team, and that must then make him a tremendous defensive presence. I've never seen anyone talk about Bahl as a great defensive presence, and the little I've seen, I haven't been that impressed. This isn't to say he's not an adequate defensive defensemen, but the bar to make the defense on Canada is high. Players of Bahl's caliber aren't good enough to make it, in my opinion.

I think this was an error that we will see manifest itself in not winning gold, along with playing Foote in a big role, playing Lavoie in a big role, having Dudas on the third line, and the goaltending situation. I think Harley should've made it over Bahl, and if Bahl's going to be on the team, at least have him as 7th defensemen with Drysdale in the top 6. But I could be wrong. Thats only my opinion.
I was very excited in November. Now, not quite as much. We’re running (while Dobson rots in the press box):

Lafreniere-Veleno-Foote
Byfield-Hayton-Cozens
Foudy-Dellandrea-Dudas
McMichael-Thomas-Lavoie
Mercer

McIsaac-Smith
Bahl-JBD
Byram-Addison
Drysdale

Instead of something along the lines of:

Lafreniere-Veleno-Mercer
Byfield-Hayton-Pelletier
McMichael-Newhook-Cozens
Foudy-Dellandrea-Poulin
Rees

Smith-Dobson
Byram-JBD
McIsaac-Harley
Addison

Especially considering it is on the big ice this year, this team would be far superior. Oh well.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Byram over The Dry Guy? Byram’s skating will have him glued to the bench by game 2 against the Russians.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
He had a good camp in Dallas and a killer start to his OHL season. Statistically, he has cooled down signiificantly since (25 pts last 34 games). For those who view him regularly, have you seen growth in his game this season? How has he looked defensively?

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Any post season summaries on Harley? Seems like an exciting prospect. Great skater with good size who moves the puck well. Think he makes the Stars next season?

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Any post season summaries on Harley? Seems like an exciting prospect. Great skater with good size who moves the puck well. Think he makes the Stars next season?

He was pretty close to making it this season, and with Polak and Sekera likely not coming back I think there is a pretty strong likelihood he makes the squad next season.

Reactions: Dominance

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I agree that he's a very good talent but it goes very much against the grain of the Stars' organization to put kids directly into the league from juniors, I don't believe it has happened since Nill took over as GM. I would expect at least one year and probably two plus years in the AHL before we see Harley in a Dallas Stars jersey.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I agree that he's a very good talent but it goes very much against the grain of the Stars' organization to put kids directly into the league from juniors, I don't believe it has happened since Nill took over as GM. I would expect at least one year and probably two plus years in the AHL before we see Harley in a Dallas Stars jersey.

Two years in the AHL? Not a chance. There is no one coming up the pipeline and not much cap room to sign defenders that are going to be better.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
Two years in the AHL? Not a chance. There is no one coming up the pipeline and not much cap room to sign defenders that are going to be better.

Oh, the blowhards on HFBoards.

Right now they have Klingberg, Lindell, Heiskanen, Johns & Oleksiak as the core of the future at D. They are also high on Gleason, who will make the NHL before Harley. Given their development philosophy, depth chart and assuming they so no free agents or don't trade for any defensemen for the next couple of years, there is a very real possibility that he spends a whole year in the AHL and then starts to get called up during his 2nd year. You don't want Harley playing bottom line minutes, that's why they let them "get overripe" in the AHL, the same philosophy that Nill learned from his old boss in Detroit. In other words, I wouldn't be so sure of yourself.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Right now they have Klingberg, Lindell, Heiskanen, Johns & Oleksiak as the core of the future at D. They are also high on Gleason, who will make the NHL before Harley. Given their development philosophy, depth chart and assuming they so no free agents or don't trade for any defensemen for the next couple of years, there is a very real possibility that he spends a whole year in the AHL and then starts to get called up during his 2nd year. You don't want Harley playing bottom line minutes, that's why they let them "get overripe" in the AHL, the same philosophy that Nill learned from his old boss in Detroit. In other words, I wouldn't be so sure of yourself.

You completely lost me at Gleason. He’s been heavily struggling in the AHL this year and got passed up on the depth chart by Harley in the preseason.

Harley will absolutely be given a chance to earn an NHL spot. He very nearly did this past season. Chances are he starts in the AHL but it’s not impossible he plays a full NHL season. Nill has given exceptional players NHL spots immediately before.

Take your own advice - don’t be so sure of yourself.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
You completely lost me at Gleason. He’s been heavily struggling in the AHL this year and got passed up on the depth chart by Harley in the preseason.

Harley will absolutely be given a chance to earn an NHL spot. He very nearly did this past season. Chances are he starts in the AHL but it’s not impossible he plays a full NHL season. Nill has given exceptional players NHL spots immediately before.

Take your own advice - don’t be so sure of yourself.

It's NHL or OHL again next season.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

Ah yes, so high on Gleason that he isn't at the training camp starting Monday but Harley is. Hmmm. Gleason is ranked #12 or lower in the organizational depth chart at this point.

Defensemen (11):

Gavin Bayreuther
Taylor Fedun
Joel Hanley
Thomas Harley
Dillon Heatherington
Miro Heiskanen
Stephen Johns
John Klingberg
Esa Lindell
Jamie Oleksiak
Andrej Sekera