D Ryan Johnson - (2019, 31st, BUF)

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I've lived in Buffalo all my life, it's a good place to settle down but if you're a young, wealthy kid (which Johnson will soon be), places like Buffalo have no attraction. If he wants to join another team because of things outside the team, that's his prerogative, the Sabres are on the up and up and if he doesn't want to be part of the team, his loss. People shouldn't be upset if other people don't like your city lol

Reactions: Gliff

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I guess you the type of guy who is fine if I criticize your wife, GF or mother. Most people are not.
Are you comparing the city of Buffalo to your wife or mother? Seriously?
These statements give you the same emotional response?
"Buffalo is shit place to live"
"You wife is a whore"

I'm sure the people of Buffalo are amazing, including your mom/wife/GF/grandma/whatever, but I would never want to live there.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

jarboy

Dec 27, 2007
So then why did he go to Sioux Falls, South Dakota for a year? Or Minnesota for four years? This weather stuff loses a lot under just basic scrutiny.
It got him picked as a first round draft pick. There is no USHL or NCAA hockey in California.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Turns out Buffalo residents are very sensitive about people not wanting to live there lol.

Why so sensitive? I’m born a raised in CA but I left because I didn’t want to live there. Everyone has a preference. I don’t want to live where I have to shovel snow, but I don’t want to live where I’m in traffic 3 hours a day.

Weirdly as someone who doesn't live in Buffalo, pointing out that people talking about weather as weak/lazy commentary now makes me a resident of Buffalo. I didn't know it was that easy to move, I must've missed people packing my stuff.

It got him picked as a first round draft pick. There is no USHL or NCAA hockey in California.

Yet there is a perfectly good program at ASU where he could have transferred at any point in time for weather related D1 program since he'd already been drafted. And it's not like he wouldn't have easily been the most talented defenseman on an ASU team, getting prime PP time that he never got with the Gophers (which has been a lazy take of some Buffalo sports writers on the situation for seemingly forever and a day, despite him not being the PP option for Minny, that he wanted that sort of role when turning pro). He'd already been drafted, if weather is such a concern, why stay in Minnesota?

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Weirdly as someone who doesn't live in Buffalo, pointing out that people talking about weather as weak/lazy commentary now makes me a resident of Buffalo. I didn't know it was that easy to move, I must've missed people packing my stuff.

Yet there is a perfectly good program at ASU where he could have transferred at any point in time for weather related D1 program since he'd already been drafted. And it's not like he wouldn't have easily been the most talented defenseman on an ASU team, getting prime PP time that he never got with the Gophers (which has been a lazy take of some Buffalo sports writers on the situation for seemingly forever and a day, despite him not being the PP option for Minny, that he wanted that sort of role when turning pro). He'd already been drafted, if weather is such a concern, why stay in Minnesota?
As a Californian, I’d rather live in Minnesota than Arizona. If you think Arizona is remotely comparable to CA, I might be tempted to think you’ve never been to Arizona.

Reactions: dire wolf and Gliff

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
In terms of weather, that's the conversation brought up.
Exactly. Arizona has 105 F degree weather in March and November. California rarely gets above 90 even in the depths of summer. Strictly weather-wise, I’d prefer Minnesota to Arizona, speaking as a Californian. Arizona has 9 months of the year where you literally can’t be outside for more than a couple minutes without wanting to keel over. I’ll take however many months of snow over that without question.

Reactions: Gliff

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
In terms of weather, that's the conversation brought up.
Please tell me where I am lying or being offensive:

1. It snows in Buffalo
2. Buffalo is a big city
3. Some people do not want to live where it snows
4. Some people do not want to live in big cities

Also, if youre saying someone saying it snows in Buffalo is the same as comparing the weather in Phoenix to Anaheim/San Jose then let me educate you:

3 highest average months for heat:
Phoenix: 104, 106, 105
Anaheim: 84, 86, 85
San Jose: 82, 82, 81

Reactions: Blueston

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Exactly. Arizona has 105 F degree weather in March and November. California rarely gets above 90 even in the depths of summer. Strictly weather-wise, I’d prefer Minnesota to Arizona, speaking as a Californian. Arizona has 9 months of the year where you literally can’t be outside for more than a couple minutes without wanting to keel over. I’ll take however many months of snow over that without question.

And yet average temperatures for Anaheim for most of the year are closer in weather to Tempe than either are to Minneapolis so if the consideration was weather related, as someone asserted above staying at UM would not have been in his best interest. I will stand by the comment that thinking it is weather related is commentary that lacks depth, in essence being lazy.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Please tell me where I am lying or being offensive:

1. It snows in Buffalo
2. Buffalo is a big city
3. Some people do not want to live where it snows
4. Some people do not want to live in big cities

Also, if youre saying someone saying it snows in Buffalo is the same as comparing the weather in Phoenix to Anaheim/San Jose then let me educate you:

3 highest average months for heat:
Phoenix: 104, 106, 105
Anaheim: 84, 86, 85
San Jose: 82, 82, 81

Compare Sioux Falls and Minneapolis with those locations.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Compare Sioux Falls and Minneapolis with those locations.
It's like I'm talking to a wall.
I'M NOT SAYING HE WILL LEAVE BUFFALO FOR THE WEATHER. Do you understand that. I never said he would.

I'm saying your assertion that it is weak/lazy to say someone MAY not want to live in Buffalo for the next 15 years because of MANY reasons (weather just being one of them) is bullshit. People have a lot of reason they do or don't want to live places and they are, like their opinion man.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Are you serious? Going from UMN to ASU would be so stupid. Competitive people want to win titles and he have killed his chances of doing that by going to ASU.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
And yet average temperatures for Anaheim for most of the year are closer in weather to Tempe than either are to Minneapolis so if the consideration was weather related, as someone asserted above staying at UM would not have been in his best interest. I will stand by the comment that thinking it is weather related is commentary that lacks depth, in essence being lazy.
Gee whiz man, I’m not arguing that Minnesota is closer to California in weather than Arizona is, I’m arguing that Minnesota weather is less offensive to the average Californian than Arizona.

To wrap up this weather discussion, because it’s truly played out:

1. Californians don’t like Arizona
2. There are many positives to living in snow/Buffalo/Minnesota but also many negatives
3. Anaheim/LA traffic is truly evil
4. Every talented free agent should sign with the San Jose Sharks

I think that wraps up this discussion quite nicely. :)

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Turns out Buffalo residents are very sensitive about people not wanting to live there lol.

Why so sensitive? I’m born a raised in CA but I left because I didn’t want to live there. Everyone has a preference. I don’t want to live where I have to shovel snow, but I don’t want to live where I’m in traffic 3 hours a day.

The post kicking this off implied living in Buffalo as a negative thing. I live here. I didn't like it. Probably because...

Everyone has a preference.

Good point.

Can this go back to hockey? We can discuss the hockey without the need to shit on cities.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
The post kicking this off implied living in Buffalo as a negative thing. I live here. I didn't like it. Probably because...

Good point.

Can this go back to hockey? We can discuss the hockey without the need to shit on cities.

This thread is now a city pride showdown. what makes your city great?

(I'm kidding, we should move on)

I'm sure he signs in Buffalo but it would be nice if he came to Anaheim to kind of lessen the Thrun blow. Anaheim might be literally the worst destination in terms of opportunity long-term though.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Also how is it at all relevant to that argument how hot Arizona is in July? Unless I missed something, that's not a school month.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I went to read the news about Johnson and found out about the weather in Arizona. :confused:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A modest debut in Toronto tonight:

He finished the night with only 8:20 in TOI (6th for the 7 defensemen they dressed tonight), though over 3 minutes of that was in the third period when the game was in the balance.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
A modest debut in Toronto tonight:

He finished the night with only 8:20 in TOI (6th for the 7 defensemen they dressed tonight), though over 3 minutes of that was in the third period when the game was in the balance.

Bummer to call him up only to give him 8 minutes. Cool though that he got his first point. 4 blocked shots in 8 minutes is impressive.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad