D Ryan Johnson - (2019, 31st, BUF)

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He grew up in Irvine, as someone that’s lived in upstate New York and Southern California it’s much different in weather and style of living. If he has a say in the matter, a place like Buffalo might not be on the top of his list.
That's a different post entirely than your first. Saying he'd prefer one (reasonably) isn't the same as insinuating Buffalo is a bad place to live.

Anyone wanting to crap on our team can go wild, it's a hockey forum. I'll remain cagey when people speak ill of the city I live in though. It's an extremely nice place for some people (like me).

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He grew up in Irvine, as someone that’s lived in upstate New York and Southern California it’s much different in weather and style of living. If he has a say in the matter, a place like Buffalo might not be on the top of his list.
This is his pro hockey future we’re talking about here. I doubt the weather is factoring in his decision. Likely has more to do with making a roster and potential ice time.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

So then why did he go to Sioux Falls, South Dakota for a year? Or Minnesota for four years? This weather stuff loses a lot under just basic scrutiny.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's a different post entirely than your first. Saying he'd prefer one (reasonably) isn't the same as insinuating Buffalo is a bad place to live.

Anyone wanting to crap on our team can go wild, it's a hockey forum. I'll remain cagey when people speak ill of the city I live in though. It's an extremely nice place for some people (like me).

I would say it's a walk-back on shit talk because the reasoning doesn't hold water based on five years of where the guy has played.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Didn't see much with Johnson, to be honest. Faber was notably better all year. But I also didn't see much of anything in Lindgren either, so who knows.
Lindgren was like Faber. I saw within a month on campus he'd be a long time NHLer. Did not see that with Johnson.

So then why did he go to Sioux Falls, South Dakota for a year? Or Minnesota for four years? This weather stuff loses a lot under just basic scrutiny.
Take a look at a USHL team map, and a NCAA team map of legit teams. ASU is still not a top team. Also his dad was a Gopher.

The idea of picking a nice place to live is very different in the NHL.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lindgren was like Faber. I saw within a month on campus he'd be a long time NHLer. Did not see that with Johnson.

Take a look at a USHL team map, and a NCAA team map of legit teams. ASU is still not a top team. Also his dad was a Gopher.

The idea of picking a nice place to live is very different in the NHL.

That's fine, but throwing shade on a location that doesn't match what the person has just done is straight up lazy commentary.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
I mean you also got to live in Buffalo ….
200w.webp

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
That's fine, but throwing shade on a location that doesn't match what the person has just done is straight up lazy commentary.
Twin Cities are cold but a lot more interesting place to be than Buffalo. Sorry. It's all relative.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
And the weather in Sioux Falls is colder still. And yes, it is relative.
Comparing to his choice of where to play in the USHL for his draft year make no sense. I'm sure he would have been bored to death spending another year there.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014

ha i know the jokes about it and everything, and obviously everyone has their own preferences for living situation, but personally i've been up to buffalo and i loved the place - and i think a majority of nhl players would. it's obviously not a big city and winters can be tough but the people were awesome and speaking for myself i wouldn't mind being somewhere a little quieter. you have everything you need around you, montreal and toronto are both pretty close and nyc is a couple hours further. there's a lot of nice towns around the area so idno...to me i'm all for joking about the stigmas of any city, including my own, but realistically i think it's a place most people wouldn't have any issue living.

really the only nhl city i think can really be tough for more than a handful of players is probably winnipeg just because it is sooo freakin cold for quite a bit of the season and there's not a whole lot there. calgary and edmonton have that to some extent as well but they're more active.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Dude, I’ve lived all over the world, born in California, raised Buffalo and Florida. There are many worse places to live than Buffalo including most of California outside of weather.

This is such lazy rhetoric from uncultured swine.

I’m not saying it’s on my top 10 list to retire to, mostly based on politics, but let’s not act like hockey players aren’t from cold climates and don’t have 6 months off out of the year to live somewhere else.

You’d be shocked how many professional athletes make Buffalo their permanent home.

Last edited:
Reactions: cg98 and Mrfenn92

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Usually this sort of douche bag comment from some sort of "expert" who hasn't lived in a place is reserved for the NHL forum or maybe the international forum. I'm surprised to see it in the prospect forum, but here we are.
You have high expectations of people who have likely never traveled outside of their home state.

Which based on their fan base affiliation is throwing stones from a glass house.

Now back to Johnson and I won’t be shocked to see some tampering allegations here when the smoke clears.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I’ve lived in the WNY area my entire life and I wouldn’t blame somebody for one second if they decided Buffalo wasn’t for them.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
LA/Anaheim wasn’t exactly all rainbows even with the sunshine when I went there in 2019 and it still isn’t. Endless concrete jungle with a dystopian feeling. Expensive af too. Disneyland was fun tho (and expensive, did I mention that?)

Dulind

A unique encounter, with an emphasis on safety
Aug 12, 2021
GB
It's not for everybody, but it is for some.

I personally love upstate NY. There are so many beautiful places to visit. I
Buffalo is not part of Upstate NY - essentially, everything that isn't part of the 5 Boroughs is called "Upstate NY". As far as I'm concerned, it's Western NY.

Everywhere else it's: Finger Lakes, Central NY, Southern Tier, Mohawk Valley/ Catskills, Hudson Valley, Adirondacks, Capital District, NYC, Long Island.

Those regions are so vastly different from each other and it's a shame to just lump them all in the same uninspired "Upstate" label.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Buffalo is not part of Upstate NY - essentially, everything that isn't part of the 5 Boroughs is called "Upstate NY". As far as I'm concerned, it's Western NY.

Everywhere else it's: Finger Lakes, Central NY, Southern Tier, Mohawk Valley/ Catskills, Hudson Valley, Adirondacks, Capital District, NYC, Long Island.

Those regions are so vastly different from each other and it's a shame to just lump them all in the same uninspired "Upstate" label.
True. I always slip up there. Don't shoot!

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I talked to his dad about this a year ago. He definitely hinted he was considering his options. As a ducks fan, I was hopeful he would follow his dad and come back home but I got the sense he is going to look for his easiest path to the nhl.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Turns out Buffalo residents are very sensitive about people not wanting to live there lol.

Why so sensitive? I’m born a raised in CA but I left because I didn’t want to live there. Everyone has a preference. I don’t want to live where I have to shovel snow, but I don’t want to live where I’m in traffic 3 hours a day.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Turns out Buffalo residents are very sensitive about people not wanting to live there lol.

Why so sensitive? I’m born a raised in CA but I left because I didn’t want to live there. Everyone has a preference. I don’t want to live where I have to shovel snow, but I don’t want to live where I’m in traffic 3 hours a day.
Amazing that people don't like it when you shit all over the place that they live in? IN many cases where their parents, and grandparents, were born and brought up?

I would consider living in Buffalo in a flash. Nice skiing area to the SW in easy reach, and even closer are not one, but two of the Great Lakes. The Niagara escarpment is striking, and the Niagara peninsula just to the north is really nice.
Buffalo has seen better days, but it has more than it's fair share of Frank Lloyd Wright houses, and good areas where you can buy houses for a relative song. Also some nice burbs, and commuting is a breeze.

Lot of snow(good for skiing), but the winter is mild compared to EDM, CAL, WPG, MTL, MPLS, and TOR. I mean, BOS has some pretty viscous Nor'easters.

If you want a Metro area so you can experience being stuck in traffic and paying outrageous prices for housing, TOR is a 90 minute drive away.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Amazing that people don't like it when you shit all over the place that they live in? IN many cases where their parents, and grandparents, were born and brought up?
I genuinely don't see why people would get upset about this.

There are people that don't like cities. There are people that don't like snow. There are people that like cities. There are people that like snow.
How does that have anything to do with their parents or grandparents? It isn't like he said everyone who lives there are scumbags. Which leads me back to my question, why so sensitive?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I genuinely don't see why people would get upset about this.

There are people that don't like cities. There are people that don't like snow. There are people that like cities. There are people that like snow.
How does that have anything to do with their parents or grandparents? It isn't like he said everyone who lives there are scumbags. Which leads me back to my question, why so sensitive?
I guess you the type of guy who is fine if I criticize your wife, GF or mother. Most people are not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad