D Ryan Johnson - (2019, 31st, BUF)

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Hawks got 1 when Hayes bolted
They are saying “no it doesn’t… look like he will bolt”. Which, from what I’ve heard, is where things are leaning.

Nothing set in stone but I suspect you take Buffalo over the field in this instance

He would give Buffalo a compensatory pick since he was selected in the first round.

It would be the 65th? overall pick in 2024 I believe.
63 I believe… 31 (original selection) + 32 (picks in a round).

Most recent example I can think of is Filip Johansson, drafted 24th by MIN in 2018, going unsigned and yielding Minnesota the 56th overall in 2022 (4 years since he was in a Euro league).

Last edited:
Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
It hasn’t sounded like it for two months now. All speculation has changed to expecting him to sign from local beat guys to national guys.
All speculation though. All that is known is that they will talk after season is over. I haven't seen anything that says he will or he won't.

There is a chance, but all indications are he signs in Buffalo

No it doesn't
They do actually get a pick if Johnson goes unsigned since he was a 1st rounder. Pick #63 in 2024, I believe.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yep, figure he's gone.
Sucks.

Buffalo has all sorts of forward prospects, but sure could use a solid young D with top 4 potential.

I was sort of meh on him, but was also meh on Faber, and the latter has looked great in the NHL so far. Johnson isn't that much different, IMO. Might even be a better skater and puck handler than Faber, though a tad less good defensively.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Didn't see much with Johnson, to be honest. Faber was notably better all year. But I also didn't see much of anything in Lindgren either, so who knows.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sucks.

Buffalo has all sorts of forward prospects, but sure could use a solid young D with top 4 potential.

I was sort of meh on him, but was also meh on Faber, and the latter has looked great in the NHL so far. Johnson isn't that much different, IMO. Might even be a better skater and puck handler than Faber, though a tad less good defensively.

I wonder if the sticking point was that they didn't offer to start him a game or two at the end of the year and he decided not burning a year was enough for him to not sign. There have been some rumbles that they think of him as a small defenseman who plays small which they already have, but they don't exactly have much in the non-waiver recallable vein either. *shrug* Maybe he thinks he's better than they do. Maybe this was the plan for him all along. I doubt he can look at a lot of teams and see an easier path to almost immediate playing time though.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder if the sticking point was that they didn't offer to start him a game or two at the end of the year and he decided not burning a year was enough for him to not sign. There have been some rumbles that they think of him as a small defenseman who plays small which they already have, but they don't exactly have much in the non-waiver recallable vein either. *shrug* Maybe he thinks he's better than they do. Maybe this was the plan for him all along. I doubt he can look at a lot of teams and see an easier path to almost immediate playing time though.
Oh, absolutely that's it. I mean, if I'm in his spot then why wouldn't I wait a few months so i can see what all 32 teams offer me rather than just one? Kind of surprised that they didn't do that- i mean, if he doesn't work out, what have they lost, if he's signed to a two way... hell, even to a short(two year, which would really be a one year + a couple of games)one way contract.

Maybe he just isn't considered to be ready to play in the NHL? He certainly has the wheels, and some skill. He's not a monster, but he's not tiny, either. Average size, with decent strength. Decent or better hockey IQ, I'd say, but nothing special, though occasionally he looks really good with the puck on his stick.

Water under the bridge, at this point. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Still don't understand why you were ever meh on Faber.

Johnson is nowhere near as steady and smart as Faber. Faber can be a top 4 D for 15 years.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If he doesn't sign, the Sabres would get a 2024 2nd round compensatory pick, which isn't too far from his value, so both sides may be considering options.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If he doesn't sign, the Sabres would get a 2024 2nd round compensatory pick, which isn't too far from his value, so both sides may be considering options.
Adams said they wanted him to sign, think he‘s a good prospect and made their offer. Put the ball in his court…which means one side is done considering and said yeah…we want the other side.

it’s all on him now.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The problem that exists for him is, there’s probably not a team who would be willing to give Buffalo something higher than the 30th pick in the 2nd round. That will be their compensation if he’s not signed.

So in all likelihood, he either signs with the Sabres, or he goes to UFA. Doubt very seriously anyone would value him higher than a late 2nd. Never say never though. Maybe a team picking 27th in the 2nd round this year, who’s struggling with D prospects, thinks they get a player closer to the NHL than prospects available to pick.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The problem that exists for him is, there’s probably not a team who would be willing to give Buffalo something higher than the 30th pick in the 2nd round. That will be their compensation if he’s not signed.

So in all likelihood, he either signs with the Sabres, or he goes to UFA. Doubt very seriously anyone would value him higher than a late 2nd. Never say never though. Maybe a team picking 27th in the 2nd round this year, who’s struggling with D prospects, thinks they get a player closer to the NHL than prospects available to pick.
Possibly, there seems to be an informal compensation system around the league for these cases.

Not sure how they handle players who are already compensation eligible.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
this doesn't make sense to me. not sure why he'd balk at getting a deal done w/ buf unless he has a particular destination he will only go. for a young dman not sure there's a better team to be joining....contention window opening, young group that seems to have chemistry, at least 1 or 2 d spots available to be claimed. i mean if he goes ufa i'm sure he'd have at least a couple other options, but buf seems to have had as good a setup as a prospect could hope to walk into day 1.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
this doesn't make sense to me. not sure why he'd balk at getting a deal done w/ buf unless he has a particular destination he will only go. for a young dman not sure there's a better team to be joining....contention window opening, young group that seems to have chemistry, at least 1 or 2 d spots available to be claimed. i mean if he goes ufa i'm sure he'd have at least a couple other options, but buf seems to have had as good a setup as a prospect could hope to walk into day 1.

I mean you also got to live in Buffalo ….

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I mean you also got to live in Buffalo ….
Well, the area around Buffalo can be nice, and your dollar goes a along way. To someone who is making the minimum, LA, NY, and the like can get pretty spendy. Also, some players prefer smaller places, and feel uncomfortable in large metro areas.

I take your point in general, though. Why limit your choice to only one team, when you can see what 32 of them have to offer?

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Hey! Buffalo is a shockingly nice place to visit May through September

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Comn...I like talking hockey with you...

That's not necessary at all.

He grew up in Irvine, as someone that’s lived in upstate New York and Southern California it’s much different in weather and style of living. If he has a say in the matter, a place like Buffalo might not be on the top of his list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad