D Robert Hagg (2013, 41st, PHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
IYO, is he the "by default" Dman getting the call up? or could the Flyers give Sanheim a look?

Hagg probably has the least to gain in the AHL of all their D prospects right now, but who knows? Hakstol also said earlier in the year that he thought Sam Morin was close to NHL-ready, so if they wanted to go big and nasty, there's also that option.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
IYO, is he the "by default" Dman getting the call up? or could the Flyers give Sanheim a look?

Hagg's first full AHL season was as a 19 year old. So this is his 3rd full season in LV. He'd probably get called up over Sanheim, not because he's better, but he's got the least to gain by being there.

Hextall is big on developing defensemen in the AHL. Sanheim is just a rookie there, and beginning to show big confidence. Morin would also be a contender, but Hagg seems polished and management has been talking him up lately.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Curu posted this in a Flyers thread for anyone who is interested to read up on him. More in the article.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/st...ving-up-lehigh-valley-phantoms-hype/98007818/

“I figured that I had to do something, otherwise I wasn’t going to last long in this organization,” said Hagg, a native of Uppsala, Sweden. “Then we talked about just simplifying the game, play hard, play physical, take care of the D zone and I think I did that the last two and a half months last year and this year as well.”

“It seems like the less you do, the better it goes for you over here,” said the 6-foot-2, 212-pound Hagg. “You don’t have to look for that home-run play every single time. Sometimes it’s just putting it off the glass and out, getting it out of the D zone and that’s making a good play. Back home it’s like you have to find a good tape-to-tape pass from blueline to blueline to make something happen.”

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller

Hagg has shown more confidence in his offensive game and physical game this season. Just as mentioned above, he has little left to prove at the AHL level and will likely get a look before Morin or Sanheim. That being said, both Morin and Sanheim are very close to NHL ready too.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If they move MDZ & Streit, Hagg might get the call, leaving Morin-Sanheim to keep playing together on the Phantoms.

Provorov-MacDonald
Manning-Gudas
Hagg-Ghost
Schultz

Sanheim is clearly the most talented, but he has played 56 AHL games and Hagg has played 190.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Geeze it seems like Hagg has been around for so long!! im curious if/when he will turn into a solid NHLer

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Geeze it seems like Hagg has been around for so long!! im curious if/when he will turn into a solid NHLer

I don't get to see the Phantoms, but if Hagg really has been their most consistent Dman this year, per that article, then he's close. I can see him playing for the Flyers next year. I can also see Sanheim and Morin up with the big club too.

Provorov-Gudas
Morin-Sanheim
Hagg-Ghost
Manning-Macdonald

I don't care about 'too many rookies,' these kids are players with enough seasoning to be ready.

Then it'll take another year or two for Myers to replace Gudas and the long-term top 6 is set.

If any other prospects push their way into the conversation in a couple years, Hexy will know enough by then which of the above he can deal for help at F.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't get to see the Phantoms, but if Hagg really has been their most consistent Dman this year, per that article, then he's close. I can see him playing for the Flyers next year. I can also see Sanheim and Morin up with the big club too.

Provorov-Gudas
Morin-Sanheim
Hagg-Ghost
Manning-Macdonald

I don't care about 'too many rookies,' these kids are players with enough seasoning to be ready.

Then it'll take another year or two for Myers to replace Gudas and the long-term top 6 is set.

If any other prospects push their way into the conversation in a couple years, Hexy will know enough by then which of the above he can deal for help at F.

Mark Friedman says hi.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Good to see that Hägge is taking some steps. I think he has the chance to to be that solid 4-5 th guy, who does his job and you dont notice him..

I think he should study Strålman and Ekholm and see what they did to get to NHL. Both guys was highly tuted offensive D-men who transformed themself to excellent shutdown men. I think Philly would be thrilled if Hagg could do the same transformation, he has the puckskills and size to do it.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
And he'll be lucky to get even 2nd unit PP time with Provorov and Ghost already on the Flyers, and Sanheim and Myers on the way. So 5 on 5 play will have to be his ticket to the NHL.

daa5250

May 3, 2016
Philly
With the overflow of top defense prospects and his initial poor development Hagg became an afterthought to many Flyer fans. His solid development and all around praise from everybody this year is a nice bonus. Has 4 goals in last 7 games and has apparently been great defensively and most consistent guy all year.

I say definitely move 1-2 of Streit and MDZ and call him up.

Last edited:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Hagg was slowly turning into a throw in part of a trade, but his play has improved signifigantly in the last ~4 months. He is probably the first guy to see an NHL call up.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
That would make sense, but A: Ghost got injured tonight, and B: trying to predict Hextall/Hakstol roster decisions is like trying to thumbtack Jello to a wall.

Damn, didn't know Ghost got hurt. Would explain why I didn't see him out there late in the game. Hagg/Ghost seemed to be paired together tonight, if I'm not incorrect, and looked pretty good. Both their games compliment one another well.

Brayden Fattison

Mar 4, 2013
Damn, didn't know Ghost got hurt. Would explain why I didn't see him out there late in the game. Hagg/Ghost seemed to be paired together tonight, if I'm not incorrect, and looked pretty good. Both their games compliment one another well.
You're correct, and they were good together. If Hagg looks a little less solid, they can always shield him with Provorov. That would have the side benefit of getting Amac's sorry ass off of the top pairing.

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
Hagg has exceeded my expectations of him so far this season. I know it’s still early, but I am impressed with his decision making and the physicality he has brought each night. I know one of his biggest knocks was consistency but he seems to be steady so far. Can’t wait to see how he grows as a player throughout the year

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Im pleasently impressed with him... Honestly, with the abundance of unreal Flyers youth thats been coming up, i kinda wrote him off a bit but its cool to see him make the team and play well

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
He provides a lot for them with so many good offensive Dmen in the system. He allows them to do their thing while he does the heavy lifting.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
With MacDonald out 4-6 weeks, Hagg is now being moved up to play with Ivan Provorov on the Flyers 1st D pair. Provorov finally has a competent partner. Hagg's development curve was a rollercoaster but he looks very good so far in his rookie season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad