D Robert Hagg (2013, 41st, PHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I've watched Hagg play several times and I am unbelievably high on this kid. I think when it's all said and done he can be the 2nd best defender from this draft. His skating is so smooth and his poise is remarkable for his age. I think he is the best skater in this draft. One thing I've noticed about Hagg is he seems to hold his stick higher up like Semin plays. Sometimes it limits his puck-handling ability, imo.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Not too much chatter in here for a guy whom I thought played very well in the WJC and is in the 1st round chatter. I'm convinced he does not own a heartbeat and can make a first pass under any kind of pressure.

Anyways, here's my video for his WJC highlights

Yeah, I too thought he was very impressive in the WJCs, at least in the games of his that I caught. Would not be surprised at all to see him push for a top 10 spot. The forwards are getting all the hype in this draft, but the dmen are pretty awesome too (Jones, Pulock, Hagg, Nurse, Zadorov, Morrissey, Ristolainen, etc.). Most years people would be very psyched about a d crop like that, but the forwards are so good this year that guys like Hagg are getting less attention.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Seen a couple people say rumors are Håkan Andersson is very high on Robert Hägg. Think he will go sooner than hopefully Detroit picks, but if he is around whenever they pick I am guessing that will be the choice.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Seen a couple people say rumors are Håkan Andersson is very high on Robert Hägg. Think he will go sooner than hopefully Detroit picks, but if he is around whenever they pick I am guessing that will be the choice.

HÃ¥kan did say that on live TV, but he also said a lot of times are going to be because he such an interesting prospect so imo it doesn't really mean anything.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Tbh I expected Hägg to struggle somewhat in the WJC, him having not getting much icetime in mens games. He was very solid though, a lot of similar qualities to Adam Larsson. Really calm and made good decisions with the puck. How much offensive potential do people see in Hägg? 1st line dman? 2nd line defensive d with some offensive upside? Somewhere in between?

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Tbh I expected Hägg to struggle somewhat in the WJC, him having not getting much icetime in mens games. He was very solid though, a lot of similar qualities to Adam Larsson. Really calm and made good decisions with the puck. How much offensive potential do people see in Hägg? 1st line dman? 2nd line defensive d with some offensive upside? Somewhere in between?

He has always produced lots of points on all levels he have played (well except SEL yet), and I think he have the tools to be a 2-way d-man rather than a defensive d.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think he's an offensive minded D that plays both ways, rather than defensive D chipping in with some offense. If you know what I mean. He's got the OEL type of balance defense/offense as the OP also suggests.

He played with MoDo last night, logged 10 minutes on the 3rd pair.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I am really, really high on this kid. I think he could be the Hampus Lindholm of this year If not, someone's getting a huge steal.

I'm a little confused on which side defense he plays. He's a lefty, but I've seen him listed as a RD, but it looked like he was playing with left side at the WJC. Can anyone clear this up?

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
Robert's been playing fantastically well recently, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the Lindholm of this upcoming draft.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Robert's been playing fantastically well recently, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the Lindholm of this upcoming draft.

Nice to hear. I saw him play right after the WJC and I thought he looked terrible at times, his potential was evident though.

Canuck71*

Havent seen all that much of Hagg this year but today I sure noticed him; in a bad way playing against Canada. He does have that nice puck rusher ability from the back end and has some nice wheels to go along with his vision. But my oh my he made some brutal defensive plays and just looked lost out there in the defensive zone. He was on for at least 4 of the goals maybe more, looked pretty noticeable on most of them. Wasn't impressed at all, was this just a bad game?

Here's the highlights for Sweden against Canada. Hagg is #4 Yellow.
http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=421494#

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Havent seen all that much of Hagg this year but today I sure noticed him; in a bad way playing against Canada. He does have that nice puck rusher ability from the back end and has some nice wheels to go along with his vision. But my oh my he made some brutal defensive plays and just looked lost out there in the defensive zone. He was on for at least 4 of the goals maybe more, looked pretty noticeable on most of them. Wasn't impressed at all, was this just a bad game?

Just watched the highlights so my judgement in on a small sample size, but does he ever look bad in this game. Looks like he plays very laid back, no urgency at all. If he gets beat, he gets beat. I think it was the 6th goal he watches the guy walk around him.

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik

Ouch, that was a brutal set of clips...

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Seems like most of his issues (consistency, perceived laziness/lackadaisical play at times, and confidence) can all be dealt with just by the natural maturation process that everyone takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad