Confirmed with Link: D Matt Niskanen signed (seven years, $5.75M per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Did they make a splash? I am not sure what to think. Half the forum is already in doomsville.

where are you? good moves? are you going to follow calling me out with taking a stand or are you just looking for cheap thrills?

I'm ok with the caps being a player in free agency yes. Takes bold moves to grab the brass ring. They addressed a need that was more than a decade old.

kmdoom

Sep 19, 2013
alexandria va
Mixed emotions. I'm glad their focus was to address the team needs on defense, but Orpik's contract just doesn't look good right now. As a fan I'm going to miss Green, at the same time I realize trading him a year before he hits FA is the right move. I can't imagine anyone's going to be happy with the return but GMBM has tried to correct some of the recurring mistakes McPhee made and I can appreciate that.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I may be the only one but until we get a heavy to replace Erskine, I hold him. Cap relief from moving him is minimal. Many consider Wilson to be untouchable. I bet those same people do not want to risk wasting his career being our only thing close to a heavy in our org. I like fights as much as anyone else but I do not want him being forced into that roll plugging away on 4 for 7 minutes again.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I may be the only one but until we get a heavy to replace Erskine, I hold him. Cap relief from moving him is minimal. Many consider Wilson to be untouchable. I bet those same people do not want to risk wasting his career being our only thing close to a heavy in our org. I like fights as much as anyone else but I do not want him being forced into that roll plugging away on 4 for 7 minutes again.

When does Erskine fight anymore anyway?

Looks to me like Wilson took the heavy tag by himself already.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Erskine is no better than the #7, if not #8 or 9 on this defense right now. He's not going to see enough games to be useful as an enforcer. Not like he's engaged in many fights over the past few seasons anyway.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Remember my post if Wilson is our only heavy this year.

Just my personal opine to not want to go sans a vet heavy. Every since we let Brashear go, our team has tanked. Random? Maybe. I think Ovi and the boys do better with an every day goon.

I do not think Wilson is ready to be a heavy nor do I want him to be. Lucky for us he has picked his spots wisely thus far.

If you think ditching Erskine is the key to the cup, so be it. I laugh. A 7 is a 7. He has had more good playoff series than bad in his time here. You don't remember any backbreaking playoff goals with him on the ice, do you.

About the number of fights, we all know a heavy on the ice mitigates the nonsense without the gloves dropped.

Again, its just my opine to prefer a vet heavy. Old school. I don't want Wilson to carry the load.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Remember my post if Wilson is our only heavy this year.

Just my personal opine to not want to go sans a vet heavy. Every since we let Brashear go, our team has tanked. Random? Maybe. I think Ovi and the boys do better with an every day goon.

I do not think Wilson is ready to be a heavy nor do I want him to be. Lucky for us he has picked his spots wisely thus far.

If you think ditching Erskine is the key to the cup, so be it. I laugh. A 7 is a 7. He has had more good playoff series than bad in his time here. You don't remember any backbreaking playoff goals with him on the ice, do you.

About the number of fights, we all know a heavy on the ice mitigates the nonsense without the gloves dropped.

Again, its just my opine to prefer a vet heavy. Old school. I don't want Wilson to carry the load.

You make a good point. Erskine still has value. With Orlov out on injured reserve we have his $2 mil at least for the time being. Some breathing room to figure it out.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I like it. I'm still amazed the Caps were aggressive in FA, and the Orpik deal is still awful, but I like this one.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Man, we should have bought out Erskine. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't we have another compliance buy out to use? Should have used it on him in my opinion. Maybe they can trade him for next to nothing

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Man, we should have bought out Erskine. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't we have another compliance buy out to use? Should have used it on him in my opinion. Maybe they can trade him for next to nothing

His deal was signed after the new CBA. He wasn't eligible for a compliance buyout. A regular buyout doesnt save much cash.

CapsJunkie

Beaglchuck scores
May 3, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
he seems like he's still getting better...I think this was a very good signing we hd to over pay but our d was hugely upgraded.. any word on Grabs?

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Erskine isn't a 7 on the current Caps D. He might not be in single digits. That's a lot to give up for a part of the game with questionable importance.

CapNMac

Jun 30, 2014
he seems like he's still getting better...I think this was a very good signing we hd to over pay but our d was hugely upgraded.. any word on Grabs?

In his press conference today GMMAC said that Grabs agent has lowered the price. GMMAC said that it would have been nice if they had done that 3 days ago so he could have signed him.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Term is way longer than I would like and it's a pretty significant overpayment but next to the Orpik deal and considering it is free agency Niskanen is a peach.

Now we just need a 2C and a 3C. I wouldn't mind nabbing Derek Roy for 3C if that would be possible.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Ken Daneyko @KenDaneykoMSG
As we put our heads on our pillows, let's think about this a 2nd, Matt Niskanen 42 million, u heard me right! God Bless America,and the NHL!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Erskine isn't a 7 on the current Caps D. He might not be in single digits. That's a lot to give up for a part of the game with questionable importance.

Do you think its wise to have Schmidt or Carrick be our 7 and 8 not playing every day?

Who knows, maybe we have a coach now that puts an emphasis on developing these prospects, not letting them collect dust. Or, not rushing them like we did Carrick last year. I got news, Car 58 ain't done developing and he needs to add weight.

Where players slot, is not always related to their skill level. Of course you know this. He and Hillen are our 'collect rust and we don't care' guys. Hillen gets injured more than Erskine does, amazingly. I see little competition from Hillen because of that. Orlov is out.

Who is your 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad