Confirmed with Link: D Matt Niskanen signed (seven years, $5.75M per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
FWIW:

@HeleneStJames: #RedWings offered D Matt Niskanen 7 years, $38.5 M but were told before free agency began Detroit not a destination for him.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Bringing in 2 dmen? attaboy BM

Add a center somehow and be done for 3 months

Adding a center with the <$1M cap space we have? Ha.

Green's gone. Niskanen isn't an upgrade over him. So essentially we now have a lesser player than Green locked up forever, Brooks Orpik being paid a fortune, and a defense only marginally better than last year.

On the off chance we keep Green, then the center depth is TERRIBLE.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Niskanen under Trotz's coaching is very encouraging, though 7 years is a long time. Orpik deal sucks. Trade some deadwood for space and Majo/Laich/Green for a C, and I'll be ok to at least wait and see what Barry can do.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Im still new to hockey and really dont know much outside of the Caps honestly. My question is what does guy bring to the D and what type of a player is he? Any info is more then I know about him honestly. Thanks!

In my opinion there are two types of defense, stay at home and offensive minded and they should be paired together. A stay at home defenseman is better in his own defensive zone, bigger body, blocks shots, and is just a smart asset there. Offensive minded can act as a 4th forward in the offensive zone, better shots, better hands, good vision. Orpik and Alzner embody a more stay at home defenseman whereas Green Niskanen and Orlov are offensive minded, Carlson is aliitle more balanced

Liberati0n*

Well, hopefully Orlov really steps up over the next couple of years. Green has issues, but he's way more talented than Niskanen...switching them rids the team of a few headaches with Green, but doesn't really make the team better.

I like that they're going for it here, but *******, that Orpik contract is ****ing horrible, and I'm really skeptical of Niskanen. At least I believe the coaching staff will be adept at coaching defensemen, but...I'm pretty skeptical overall. They signed these guys for a really long time, and I don't see this unit being contender-level unless Carlzner really grows under Trotz and Orlov develops ideally.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
It's a testament to the incredibadness of the Orpik contract that this one looks decent in comparison.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
That's still an overpayment, just not as laughably bad. Orpik is a 3.5 kind of player now.

Even if he is a 3.5 player now, players get overpaid in free agency when the cap rises like it did. It happens and will continue to happen.

Even at 5.5, he'll be extremely useful for us for at least a few years. He may never be worth 5.5, but I'd argue if he makes me forget about John Erskine and Connor Carrick, he's worth about 10 mil.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Even if he is a 3.5 player now, players get overpaid in free agency when the cap rises like it did. It happens and will continue to happen.

Even at 5.5, he'll be extremely useful for us for at least a few years. He may never be worth 5.5, but I'd argue if he makes me forget about John Erskine and Connor Carrick, he's worth about 10 mil.

He'd barely be worth 5 to us this year, and he's only getting older.

This is a terrible contract no matter how you spin it.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
What could of happened...

Fayne-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Stralman

Instead 11.25m on Niskanen and Orpik.

Just because you have cap space doesn't mean a player wants to come play here. It was obvious Ehrhoff wanted to go to Pitt. Likely that niskanen had desired location because he turned places like Detroit down right away.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Josh Rimer ‏@JoshRimerHockey
Niskanen also gets a NTC in Washington.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
Niskanen received a partial NTC for the full term

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad