Confirmed with Link: D Matt Niskanen signed (seven years, $5.75M per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Just because you have cap space doesn't mean a player wants to come play here. It was obvious Ehrhoff wanted to go to Pitt. Likely that niskanen had desired location because he turned places like Detroit down right away.

So both Fayne and Stralman both badly wanted to go to the 2nd and 3rd worst teams in the NHL?

MurphyDump

Dec 22, 2010
Orpik and Niskanen. I like it.

For 11 million dollars???

Listen, Niskanen is a fine player. He's not going to blow anyone's doors off, but he'll leave you relatively satisfied at the end of the day. He doesn't have great speed, but makes up for it with decent positioning. He's got a cannon of a shot and can play the PP. He's not overly physical, but isn't afraid to lay the body in the corner. He can't really clear the crease, but is pretty solid in his own end. He makes a great first pass out of the zone and has decent offensive instincts, but doesn't join the rush too often.

He had a great season and earned his payday after resurrecting his career. He got really lucky that it happened when it did and with the names that were out there in FA. Is he worth this much money? Probably not, but with the money that's going around out there, he's gonna get it. All in all he's a pretty good signing, however I'm not fond of the term because of his penchant for disappearing for stretches at times. I'm happy for Matt and I'm sure you'll be happy too.

However, Orpik is a different story. I'm not sure what the heck anyone was thinking here. This was a total sell job by Reirden. I've watched Orpik since he was drafted and to say he is on the downward spiral of his career is being polite. He's struggled with injuries, he's struggled with his game, and he's not getting any younger. I would have welcomed Orpik back in a third pairing role for a couple million max, so my mind is blown that he got this term and money.

If you're looking for a first pass out of the zone, don't look to Orpik. It's either iced, or thrown right to the opposing team. If you're looking for someone that plays sound D position-wise, don't look to him. He's constantly caught out of position, runs around at times chasing hits, and blows his coverage. He's a black hole for offence for sure. He still plays physical at times, but for Reirden to say he was the Pens best penalty killer is a joke. If there's a stat out there of who was on the ice for the most PK goals, Orpik and Scuderi would lead by far. He still skates relatively well though, but not even close to his former speed, but this is understandable with age and injuries.

The upside to this trade is this: He's away from the horrible coach that was Bylsma. It's completely possible that in a more defensive structure that Trotz will bring, that Orpik will be much more effective. Bylsma's system left his D out to dry with the puck a TON, and with Orpik's lack of offensive skills, he was a turnover machine. This could change in Washington. Do I think he'll rebound and be worth 5.25 over the next 5 years? Not even close. But he is a warrior and gave it his all every night he played for Pittsburgh and I'll miss him for that reason.

I hope both work out well for you. I have no questions that Niskanen will, but Orpik might leave a lot to be desired, especially for his price tag.

washlion

Aug 22, 2010
For the love of G-d, will you people stop b******g, and just let the coming year unfold.
Then with 6 months under your belts (assuming the caps are C**P, you can really let go.
Also, all of you I am sure have run hockey clubs in the past and/or know EXACTLY why each deal was made, e.g , maybe some of the ones you wanted, DIDN'T WANT YOU!

Let's calm down and see what happens with the new coaching staff. Remember, the caps were in the playoffs a year ago--with a lesser team in my opinion.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Atleast hes somewhat good, still not a great deal

Fayne and Stralman would have been much better and cheaper

No doubt, but doesn't look like they were interested in coming to D.C. Give it a few days or weeks and I'm sure there will be media talk.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
TXPD still adament that they'll not make a splash?

I'm happy they're making waves.

Did they make a splash? I am not sure what to think. Half the forum is already in doomsville.

where are you? good moves? are you going to follow calling me out with taking a stand or are you just looking for cheap thrills?

n3ss

Nov 29, 2011
I'll take a questionable splash over picking up strays from the bottom of the barrell.

Now, Grabovski?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@AdamVingan: Matt Niskanen said that there was one offer that was slightly more than Washington's. #Caps

@AnsarKhanMLive: Wings felt they made competitive offer for Niskanen and one team source said they would have given 7 years at $42 million.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
A'ight. Can't win if you don't play.

mikegreen_medium.gif

Lataz.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Love the emphasis on the defense, though the term and money of the contracts are a bit much.

Let's see where Green goes.

And they really need to trade Erskine. Any team still need to reach the Cap floor?

Monty

Aug 31, 2004
Wouldn't it be nice at this point if the Caps had bought out Laich and had that extra salary cap space. They could trade Green for a second line center or simply for a prospect and more cap space and then use that overall cap space to get a second line center and another 3-4 defenseman

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Horrific deal guys but not as bad as the Orpik one. At least Nisk is a good player. It's more the term that's the issue here because if he doesn't pan out that's an awful long time to be stuck with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad