D Logan Mailloux - Laval, AHL (2021, 31st, MTL)

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
I'm not saying they are comparable overall but Malakhov had that kind of wrist shot. A formidable weapon on the power play.
Good eye. I agree. Very similar to Malakhov in some respects. But a better skater. I've seen some really nice rushes from Logan, especially in the CHL. But yeah, that heavy wrister is a lot like Vlad's was.

Reactions: kyne

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
How has this guys been doing? His stats are impressive for a rookie in the AHL.

In the couple games I've seen you could see the impressive toolbox. Can skate with the puck pretty effortlessly for a big guy, big shot. Moved the puck crisply. Looks taller than his listed 6'3.

But I also found that he seemed to be standing around a lot defensively and his engagement and positioning in the defensive end left something to be desired.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
In the couple games I've seen you could see the impressive toolbox. Can skate with the puck pretty effortlessly for a big guy, big shot. Moved the puck crisply. Looks taller than his listed 6'3.

But I also found that he seemed to be standing around a lot defensively and his engagement and positioning in the defensive end left something to be desired.
That’s exactly the profile on the Habs board. Great tools including excellent skating and an elite shot - but still has lapses in the defensive zone and will likely never be more than average defensively.

Reactions: MS

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Excellent season for him. Savard will probably leave in the coming weeks. This will give him room. In my opinion, he will play for Montreal by the end of the season.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
When does Montreal call him up?
With the logjam on D they can afford to be patient with him and let him cook another season.

He still has some refining to do with his decision-making defensively. But i could see them give him a taste next season.

Reactions: montreal

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
With the logjam on D they can afford to be patient with him and let him cook another season.

He still has some refining to do with his decision-making defensively. But i could see them give him a taste next season.
Hope so. He has paid his dues. :)

Reactions: G0bias

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal

I disagree. He should start next year in Montreal. I don't care about Harris, Kovacevic or even Struble. If he makes errors be it at NHL level. It's not like we will compete or anything.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I disagree. He should start next year in Montreal. I don't care about Harris, Kovacevic or even Struble. If he makes errors be it at NHL level. It's not like we will compete or anything.
Yep, I've seen Struble and Guhle make plenty of bad decisions defensively lately and it doesn't make me think any less of their potential as players

Reactions: Nicko999

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Given just how much development time he has lost, never able to grain a sense of consistency as he experiences the rigours of a full season until his first stint in the AHL, I submit that he is much better served by having another year without the additional pressure of adapting to yet another new environment at a completely different level of play. He's still catching up. There's nothing shameful about making the jump at 22/23.

That said, if he forces his way onto the team next year, he forces his way onto the team.

Reactions: montreal

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
When does Montreal call him up?

Laval is trying to make the playoffs, if not he would have been called up already. If DR can take a lot of minutes and Laval is safely in the playoffs or clearly outside of them, I could see him getting a few games as a reward.

He's in the NHL next season 99% sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ORRFForever

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
First off, has Bettman cleared him to play in the NHL? I can't remember.

Offensively, I don't think that he has much more development to do. However, in his zone it is still quite an adventure. IMHO, it won't hurt him to start next season in Laval, No one has ever been hurt by spending too much time in the minors.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
There is the age old argument.............tough call.
So many Dman, and what to do.....................and should the kids be put in the NHL early, or do we season them down in the A.
So hard to know.....................he could have a great camp and force his way on, or could end up going down, and being good again for Laval, and get called up after Xmas....

It's been years, since the Habs have had a pleasant problem, like this...........years.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Given just how much development time he has lost, never able to grain a sense of consistency as he experiences the rigours of a full season until his first stint in the AHL, I submit that he is much better served by having another year without the additional pressure of adapting to yet another new environment at a completely different level of play. He's still catching up. There's nothing shameful about making the jump at 22/23.

That said, if he forces his way onto the team next year, he forces his way onto the team.
He had an awesome season in the AHL. If he was struggling, I would understand but he hasn't. He's ready to take the next level I believe. 41 pts in 61 games. Good for 3rd among AHL D-man. Ahead of him are a 35 years old dude and a 26 years old matured player.
What more do you want him to achieve before giving him a chance with the big club?

Reactions: HabsAddict

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad