D Lian Bichsel - EHC Biel-Bienne, NL (2022, 18th, DAL)

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
It's not hard to imagine him experiencing culture shock as a teenager from Switzerland heading to Texas, and wanting to be closer to home. The assumption that he did it to take part in the WJC was just that- an assumption.

No reason this can't be a good development path for him to stay playing pro hockey, while working on what will aid him when he comes back to NA hockey.

I never thought the WJC was the reason he was going back to Sweden. But the tournament is being played in his backyard figuratively speaking. So its definitely notable that he is not partaking in it. The opportunity costs to report would therefore have been relatively low. As far as the question goes wether the SHL is the better development option for him after already getting acclimated in the AHL, only time can tell. It very well could be. But it could also be an unnecessary detour that might kill the momentum he already had in the AHL. It could also not really matter either way. We will see.

Last edited:

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I never thought the WJC was the reason he was going back to Sweden. But the tournament is being played in his backyard figuratively speaking. So its definitely notable that he is not partaking in it. The opportunity cost to report would therefore have been relatively low. As far as the question goes wether the SHL is the better development option for him after already getting acclimated in the AHL, only time can tell. It very well could be. But it could also be an unnecessary detour that might kill the momentum he already had in the AHL. It could also not really matter either way. We will see.
For the record, I wasn’t coming at you specifically. It was an easy assumption to make that he would want to take part in the WJC, but I can also see this move pointing to a maturity that shows his self-awareness with how he is adjusting to life in NA as a 19 year old.

As you say: we will see. My guess is just that.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
For the record, I wasn’t coming at you specifically. It was an easy assumption to make that he would want to take part in the WJC, but I can also see this move pointing to a maturity that shows his self-awareness with how he is adjusting to life in NA as a 19 year old.

As you say: we will see. My guess is just that.
Yeah, I totally expected him to play the WJC20. Still don't think timing of the out clause and the fact that he picked Rögle of all teams is a coincidence though. In hindsight it's probably a sweet revenge to troll the SIHF that has treated him unfairly in the past.

Can't be just that though and I'm sure he also wants to use the opportunity to be closer to his Swedish girlfriend.

Doesn't have to be a bad move though. Seider developed quite well playing for Rögle and Bichsel probably also felt like he had unfinished business in Sweden after missing so much time due to injuries during his time with Leksands. The move is also not much of a big deal anyway since he's gonna be back in Texas soon and finish the season there.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Yeah, I totally expected him to play the WJC20. Still don't think timing of the out clause and the fact that he picked Rögle of all teams is a coincidence though. In hindsight it's probably a sweet revenge to troll the SIHF that has treated him unfairly in the past.

Can't be just that though and I'm sure he also wants to use the opportunity to be closer to his Swedish girlfriend.

Doesn't have to be a bad move though. Seider developed quite well playing for Rögle and Bichsel probably also felt like he had unfinished business in Sweden after missing so much time due to injuries during his time with Leksands. The move is also not much of a big deal anyway since he's gonna be back in Texas soon and finish the season there.

Its just the breaks in continuity that don't make much sense to me. Why not staying in Rögle for the whole season then? The Girlfriend as a reason makes sense but should he really plan his career around his private life? Granted we don't know what persuaded him to chose this path so speculating about it is probably unfair. And in the end its his and Dallas' choice to make and non of any fans business. But its certainly notable and worth pointing out that his career plans are very unusual compared to almost any other prospect.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Its just the breaks in continuity that don't make much sense to me. Why not staying in Rögle for the whole season then? The Girlfriend as a reason makes sense but should he really plan his career around his private life? Granted we don't know what persuaded him to chose this path so speculating about it is probably unfair. And in the end its his and Dallas' choice to make and non of any fans business. But its certainly notable and worth pointing out that his career plans are very unusual compared to almost any other prospect.
Yes. I was surprised he agreed to play AHL in the first place. I know he didn't want to. Not sure why he changed his mind. Anyway. I think both AHL and SHL are fine for his development this season.

His girlfriend, at least for now, is very much Sweden bound. Bichsel could be a full time NHLer as early as some time next season. Surely will be in 2025. I don't know if and when his girlfriend will be able and willing to move but Bichsel may not get to spend a lot of time with her for quite a while if he stays in Texas now.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I hate this prospect, hopefully traded soon.

Denies Dallas development camp after getting drafted.

f***s around with Swiss National Team

Denies playing an entire year for Texas Stars (Tells Nill, Scott White, and Janko to go f*** themselves.)

Denies going to World Juniors Tournament

This player is a moron. Two years of idiotic decision making.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Denies playing an entire year for Texas Stars (Tells Nill, Scott White, and Janko to go f*** themselves.)

The exact opposite is the case. And Bichsel isn't the only one that is getting treated like this. The same goes for Fiala, Malgin and many others. The SIHF clowns are the morons, not Lian Bichsel. This is just Lian's little revenge...which I actually find hilarious:laugh::popcorn:

Reactions: Kipper 17 and LT

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

What a little bitch!

You should absolutely trade him as a punishment, and I can think of no worse punishment than sending him to Columbus.

• Haha
Reactions: thefutures and LT

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
The wisdom of leaving Texas for Rogle when he did can be questioned, but not going to the WJC as a D+2 is not exactly uncommon if a player already thrived there as a D+1 (and has little chance of competing for a medal). Seider did the exact same thing, sticking with Rogle instead, for example.

Reactions: Blueston

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The wisdom of leaving Texas for Rogle when he did can be questioned, but not going to the WJC as a D+2 is not exactly uncommon if a player already thrived there as a D+1 (and has little chance of competing for a medal). Seider did the exact same thing, sticking with Rogle instead, for example.
Yeah. I don't think the irritation is because of him not going...it's the timing and the way he declined. It's important to understand though that there's history between player and SIHF. He didn't do this because he's a bad person, he did it because he felt like he was treated unfairly...and many people in Switzerland, including me, were and are still very much in his camp there. He's also not the only Swiss "star" player to have these issues with the SIHF. That list is long unfortunately. That's what you get it if you hire people who didn't achieve anything in their own careers but still feel like they know better than actual or future NHL players.

Last edited:
Reactions: LT and majormajor

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Yeah. I don't think the irritation is because of him not going...it's the timing and the way he declined. It's important to understand though that there's history between player and SIHF. He didn't do this because he's a bad person, he did it because he felt like he was treated unfairly...and many people in Switzerland, including me, were and are still very much in his camp there. He's also not the only Swiss "star" player to have these issues with the SIHF. That list is long unfortunately. That's what you get it if you hire people who didn't achieve anything in their own careers but still feel like they know better than actual or future NHL players.

Agree, and beyond the national team drama, Bichsel's been public about the reasons he went to Sweden in the first place, which - given the overall context is his progress in the last few years - certainly seems like the right decision.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Another funny aspect of this saga is that as it turns out, the SIHF was begging Bichsel to do exactly for what they excluded him from the covid WJC back then. Over the last days they were begging him to join the team in Ängelholm Sweden for the 2nd half of preparation camp...which is pretty much the equivalent of Bichsel's offer for the Canada WJC. He offered to join the team in Edmonton a week ahead of the tournament because he needed time off and time to work on his conditioning between flying back and forth between Europe and NA and due to not having an offseason. That was a summer WJC of course and for a player as injury prone as Bichsel that seemed like a more than reasonable request. The first half of camp is of course to determine which players to cut but Bichsel was already to good to get cut.

The SIHF however didn't just decline the offer, they also opted to call out the player pubicly via media as they do with all players not following their directions. To decline a reasonable request is dumb enough but to bash your own top players with statements like "nobody is bigger than the team" and use every interview to call them out for their "wrong" decisions is just childish and inappropriate behaviour. And again...according to the SIHF Bichsel is perfectly allowed to skip the 1st half of camp ahead of a regular WJC but not ahead of a covid WJC that's gonna cost him is offseason:help:

I thought for sure Bichsel was gonna play but the SIHF better not be complaining about the fact that he's not.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Another funny aspect of this saga is that as it turns out, the SIHF was begging Bichsel to do exactly for what they excluded him from the covid WJC back then. Over the last days they were begging him to join the team in Ängelholm Sweden for the 2nd half of preparation camp...which is pretty much the equivalent of Bichsel's offer for the Canada WJC. He offered to join the team in Edmonton a week ahead of the tournament because he needed time off and time to work on his conditioning between flying back and forth between Europe and NA and due to not having an offseason. That was a summer WJC of course and for a player as injury prone as Bichsel that seemed like a more than reasonable request. The first half of camp is of course to determine which players to cut but Bichsel was already to good to get cut.

The SIHF however didn't just decline the offer, they also opted to call out the player pubicly via media as they do with all players not following their directions. To decline a reasonable request is dumb enough but to bash your own top players with statements like "nobody is bigger than the team" and use every interview to call them out for their "wrong" decisions is just childish and inappropriate behaviour. And again...according to the SIHF Bichsel is perfectly allowed to skip the 1st half of camp ahead of a regular WJC but not ahead of a covid WJC that's gonna cost him is offseason:help:

I thought for sure Bichsel was gonna play but the SIHF better not be complaining about the fact that he's not.

If its really meant as a big F you to the SIHF Bichsels decline for the WJC is justified. Everyone knows he and not the federation was in the right regarding this whole Saga. If the long term fallout this is going to bring, puts some more pressure on Weibel/Fischer all the better. Every argument to get the two fired might be helpful in the future. Even though I am not sure if that day will ever come before Fischer decides to retire. This dude is like a cockroach; indestructible. All those failures and he still has the press and a big part of the fanbase behind him. Its stunning really.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If its really meant as a big F you to the SIHF Bichsels decline for the WJC is justified. Everyone knows he and not the federation was in the right regarding this whole Saga. If the long term fallout this is going to bring, puts some more pressure on Weibel/Fischer all the better. Every argument to get the two fired might be helpful in the future. Even though I am not sure if that day will ever come before Fischer decides to retire. This dude is like a cockroach; indestructible. All those failures and he still has the press and a big part of the fanbase behind him. Its stunning really.
Press yes because he's entertaining, lots of good content guaranteed.

Fanbase though? I don't know anybody who's actually a supporter of his. Most hockey fans I know want him fired and many of them, much like me, even stopped watching the national team because of him. Not many Swiss posters here on hfboards but I have yet to spot a Fischer fan:laugh:

No need to know much about hockey to tell that he doesn't have a clue. It's totally enough to just watch how him and his clowns treat people. His coaching is poor as well. With his track record (or lack there of) he should have never gotten that job anyway. For example, that Lugano team was dog shit under his watch.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Press yes because he's entertaining, lots of good content guaranteed.
Yeah the content he delivers is not bad. But actually contending for medals would be even better for traffic. So I just don't get why no major newspaper save the NZZ (to some degree) even dares to criticize him. I feel he is probably also well connected with some of the chief editors.

Fanbase though? I don't know anybody who's actually a supporter of his. Most hockey fans I know want him fired and many of them, much like me, even stopped watching the national team because of him.
I don't know any avid supporters of him but a lot of people who are just "fine" with him. The major arguments made by those people in his favor are:

That he made Switzerland dominant in the group stage and to demand more is an arrogant outlook for a small hockey nation like us.

That he made the team play an attractive brand of hockey that is fun to watch.

That he is popular among the NHL players and makes them join the roster for the WC regularly.

That there is just no better alternative on the coaches market.

Now of course all of those arguments are wrong but there is still a surprising amount of people who eat them up. Granted I feel especially after the last quarters loss the public opinion on him has soured quite a bit. But I there are still a surprising amount of fans who defend him as a coach because of those reasons.

Not many Swiss posters here on hfboards but I have yet to spot a Fischer fan:laugh:
Yeah small sample size. Swiss posters who are posting regularly on here are probably in the single digits. Some of them have defended Fischer for years though. But he lost a lot of credit with the last loss vs. Germany on this board as well.

No need to know much about hockey to tell that he doesn't have a clue. It's totally enough to just watch how him and his clowns treat people. His coaching is poor as well. With his track record (or lack there of) he should have never gotten that job anyway. For example, that Lugano team was dog shit under his watch.
All he has to his name is one freak silver medal run on the back of the NHL players. Every other tournament or NLA season was a failure. The biggest joke was his short stint as U20 coach. He should really follow his true calling and become a PR coach. I have never seen a guy with so little competence sell himself so well. I mean I never ate up his act but a lot of people do apparently. So he has at least one talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hinterland

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
One assist in 12 games for Bichsel in Rögle. Now i havent seen him play in any of those games so, I can't say if his defensive game has been on point or not. But he seems to have been shifted from the first pairing to the third pairing as of late. So that can't be a good sign. Going back to Europe was always a head scratcher for me especially since he integrated himself so well in the AHL. While I have always defended him in his quarrels against the federation, I think this guy needs a better agent/manager to advise him on his career decisions. I hope the quality time with his GF was at least worth it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
One assist in 12 games for Bichsel in Rögle. Now i havent seen him play in any of those games so, I can't say if his defensive game has been on point or not. But he seems to have been shifted from the first pairing to the third pairing as of late. So that can't be a good sign. Going back to Europe was always a head scratcher for me especially since he integrated himself so well in the AHL. While I have always defended him in his quarrels against the federation, I think this guy needs a better agent/manager to advise him on his career decisions. I hope the quality time with his GF was at least worth it.
His girlfriend is the one thing but European ice is also a challenge for Bichsel. He may be a good skater for his size but still, skating is an area he will always have to work on. Playing AHL suits him well, he doesn't really get exposed by AHLers on the smaller ice. Playing at the highest level on European ice is a different challenge and forces Bichsel to work on his skating. Requires a different kind of mobility to play against the puck on the wider European ice.

I'm not surprised he's struggling in the SHL even after dominating the AHL but I'm not sure it's a bad thing either if it's done with the right mindset and in order to work on the stuff he has to work. NHL may be played on the same ice as AHL but players are on a different level. Gotta prepare for that. And if he feels like splitting the season between Europe and NA is a good way to do that then we shouldn't question that before seeing the results. Sometimes you have to leave your comfort zone. I also think Lian felt like he had unfinished business in Sweden after missing so much time due to injury. Whether the result of the current stint is gonna satisfy him much more is a different question.

I also think it's a bit overblown. He's gonna be back in Texas soon.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

The funny part is if he stayed in the AHL and played well he could potentially be playing NHL games right now because Joel Hanley has been playing so poorly. But I guess SHL is more important to him than the NHL.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The funny part is if he stayed in the AHL and played well he could potentially be playing NHL games right now because Joel Hanley has been playing so poorly. But I guess SHL is more important to him than the NHL.

The question is if he should be playing NHL right now? I guess a couple of games couldn't have hurt to get a sense of what it's like but I actually think that after all his injuries, Lian needs at least another offseason before being NHL ready.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
His girlfriend is the one thing but European ice is also a challenge for Bichsel. He may be a good skater for his size but still, skating is an area he will always have to work on. Playing AHL suits him well, he doesn't really get exposed by AHLers on the smaller ice. Playing at the highest level on European ice is a different challenge and forces Bichsel to work on his skating. Requires a different kind of mobility to play against the puck on the wider European ice.

I'm not surprised he's struggling in the SHL even after dominating the AHL but I'm not sure it's a bad thing either if it's done with the right mindset and in order to work on the stuff he has to work. NHL may be played on the same ice as AHL but players are on a different level. Gotta prepare for that. And if he feels like splitting the season between Europe and NA is a good way to do that then we shouldn't question that before seeing the results. Sometimes you have to leave your comfort zone.

I am not convinced by the supposed benefit of that. He could work on his skating in Texas all the same. Most of the progress young prospects make in that area happens in the offseason anyway. And you have said it yourself. He is going back to NA eventually and a lot of the defensive habbits that work on the larger ice will have to be "unlearned" again. I just see it as a break in continuity mostly. I might sound like a broken record but if he was that adamant to play in Sweden he should have just stayed the whole year there.

I also think Lian felt like he had unfinished business in Sweden after missing so much time due to injury. Whether the result of the current stint is gonna satisfy him much more is a different question.
Why though? He is not even playing for the same team anymore. So does he want to win a title? Shouldn't have chosen to play for Rögle then. A first rounders only priority should be to make the NHL and establish a career there. If he doesn't want that thats fine too but then he could also just play in Biel for the next 15+ years.

Last edited:
Reactions: piqued

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I am not convinced by the supposed benefit of that. He could work on his skating in Texas all the same. Most of the progress young prospects make in that area happens in the offseason anyway. And you have said it yourself. He is going back to NA eventually and a lot of the defensive habbits that work on the larger ice will have to be "unlearned" again. I just see it as a break in continuity mostly. I might sound like a broken record but if he was that adamant to play in Sweden he should have just stayed the whole year there.

Why though? He is not even playing for the same team anymore. So does he want to win a title? Shouldn't have chosen to play for Rögle then. A first rounders only priority should be to make the NHL and establish a career there. If he doesn't want that thats fine too but then he could also just play in Biel for the next 15+ years.

He could have stayed in Sweden and I probably would have recommended doing that but I think playing AHL can help to get used to those long road trips and the tougher schedule as well.

We'll find out over the next two years whether his career choices were smart or dumb. I'm not gonna judge him for now.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad