D Jared McIsaac - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 36th, DET)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'm not sure hes an offensive player at the next level but this season has got my hopes up a bit for sure. Hes definitely exceeding expectations in that regard, his team is really good though

This could be part of the development and coaching instruction that was given to him by the guys with the Red Wings though. Pushing him to take a more active role in the offense, picking up small things regarding play in his own end. I know he was more highly regarded in his D-1 year, so it sounds like the talent was always there, this could just be starting to turn potential into realized talent.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
For those that watched him this shouldn't come as a surprise. For the doubters this is probably quite shocking. Last year when I told people there isn't much difference between his game and Dobson it fell on deaf ears. So I'll say it again this year. There's not a huge gap between these two prospects. Detroit rocks

Reactions: newfy

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This could be part of the development and coaching instruction that was given to him by the guys with the Red Wings though. Pushing him to take a more active role in the offense, picking up small things regarding play in his own end. I know he was more highly regarded in his D-1 year, so it sounds like the talent was always there, this could just be starting to turn potential into realized talent.

Yep, if he got drafted in the top 10 like he was projected going into his draft year, then had a season like hes having right now, people would be very happy with it. The fact that hes doing it as a second rounder is just icing on the cake

Kakko the bust

Hughes > Kakko ALL DAY, everyday
Nov 6, 2017
I'm not sure hes an offensive player at the next level but this season has got my hopes up a bit for sure. Hes definitely exceeding expectations in that regard, his team is really good though

He might not be a 50 pt dman but he can definitely be a 25-35 pt dman yearly. Kind of like a Matthias Ekholm type.

With that being said though, his rookie year in the Q, he had 32 points, then the 47 last year and now already 52 points in 42 games.

He’s always produced, which is good.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Is there are a reason there is not more hype for this kid? I don't follow junior leagues a ton but his season seems pretty great?

McIsaac leading the Q in Pts/G among D, Veleno leading the entire league in Pts/G. What a draft.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Is there are a reason there is not more hype for this kid? I don't follow junior leagues a ton but his season seems pretty great?

McIsaac leading the Q in Pts/G among D, Veleno leading the entire league in Pts/G. What a draft.
There was a good amount of hype for him going into his draft year last season and when he started off the first 2-3 months really slow all the hype just kinda seemed to fizzle out and people checked out it seems like. The good thing is hype doesn't matter....and he is really really good.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
It all went to Zadina last year. A lot of people on this board didn't want to see McIsaac succeed. If it's all just very positive then people just don't want to hear it. I write about players I watch live a lot and when I want to find something out about a player I ask for information from people that watch live. Hype by stats watchers is ignored. I've had very little negative to say about McIsaac over the last three years. There's been growing pains yes. He's been rock solid for the Mooseheads again this year. I could always see he had offence in him. I'm not surprised at his point production at all. Runs a good PP with four forwards. Good penalty killer. Nice skater. He'll get some hype from the Memorial Cup games and you'll see a lot of feedback I think from next years Detroit camp. Be patient he'll be a good 3 4 or 5 dman down the road.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Wasn't offensive ability what he was criticized for? Or was that somebody else?
Those that didn't watch him criticized his whole game. Lack of points. Gives up the puck. Slow. Low IQ. Carried by team. I heard it all. I've seen him make bad plays and bonehead decisions but I've never seen him play a bad game. This kid is the best dman that the Mooseheads have ever had but the next one is already here and he wears #20.

JT3

May 27, 2013
Have seen a handful of Moose games throughout the year but got to catch game 1 and 2 vs Quebec the last couple nights. McIsaac was the best player on the ice in both games. Just so steady defensively and makes great decisions. Good outlet pass. Impressed me with his ability to get shots through traffic. I think Detroit got an absolute steal in the second round.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Pretty quiet playoffs for him so far but still contributing a lot. I think he's been playing more cautiously though which is a good thing and definitely working harder at his defense game other then his really good offensive side. He's been staying out of the box too which is a good thing!

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Pretty quiet playoffs for him so far but still contributing a lot. I think he's been playing more cautiously though which is a good thing and definitely working harder at his defense game other then his really good offensive side. He's been staying out of the box too which is a good thing!
Hey Cool I think you're in the wrong thread. He's got the most penalty minutes in the playoffs. Took a suspension. He also had back to back high sticking calls last night on back to back shifts killing the teams momentum in a game they could have come out on top of.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
I think he may not be showing up on the scoresheet but he's doing a great job of shutting down their top guys. Comtois and Veleno were silent last series, Kurashev the one before and huge part of that was McIsaac's pairing; that's the stuff that often goes unnoticed but it's so important.

I agree with the penalties though, he hasn't been perfect so far and they've been a problem.

Reactions: Coolmcneil

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
He had 2 assists last night.

Serious question, does McIssac have a shot at making the wings out of camp this year?

He’s played 3 full seasons in the QMJHL, His offense has increased every single year and is playing great this year for Halifax.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Serious question, does McIssac have a shot at making the wings out of camp this year?

He’s played 3 full seasons in the QMJHL, His offense has increased every single year and is playing great this year for Halifax.
He’ll Back in Halifax

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016

Yes he could but he's still not big enough for the type of game he plays. The way he hits you might think he's a big guy but he's not and he ends up on the wrong side of a hit. Right now he's just not strong enough in my eyes but the last two years I was wrong about Zadina and Hischier so that's there to. He's always had a good offensive side since he entered the league. Points weren't there the first two years but when goals were scored often times he was the catalyst in starting a scoring drive. Nothing has changed there. This year the offence flows through all of the defence. As a whole they are a pleasure to watch.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Hey Cool I think you're in the wrong thread. He's got the most penalty minutes in the playoffs. Took a suspension. He also had back to back high sticking calls last night on back to back shifts killing the teams momentum in a game they could have come out on top of.
In the games I’ve seen he was clean but no you’re right about that. I wouldn’t say anything else I said was wrong though. Def has to work on staying out of the box.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015

Could play some games at the start of the season at most but I think he still has 1 more year. Great player though! Still has that potential we’ll see.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Awesome. That’s a little ahead of schedule, no? It would be great for him to get up to speed and be 100% for the WJC.
Well, last I heard there was just speculation that he would be returning November 30th, this just confirms it

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Awesome. That’s a little ahead of schedule, no? It would be great for him to get up to speed and be 100% for the WJC.

Apparently hes been skating all year, just the shoulder wasnt good for shooting and contact for a while. He'll be up to speed for the WJC conditioning wise, just needs to get some games in. He should have 3 and a half weeks of games before the tournament which should be more than enough for him to get firing on all cylinders

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad