D Jared McIsaac - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 36th, DET)

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Newsflash. Hockey is a tough sport.
Since when does tough mean dirty? It drives me crazy that fans can't tell the difference between physical play allowed within the rules and dirty stuff that hurts people and gets you kicked out of the game, possibly suspended. One is part of the game, the other is not.

And miss me with this blaming the victim shit.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Since when does tough mean dirty? It drives me crazy that fans can't tell the difference between physical play allowed within the rules and dirty stuff that hurts people and gets you kicked out of the game, possibly suspended. One is part of the game, the other is not.

while this is true the hand wringing over this stuff can be a bit much

prospects aren't fragile infants that need to be protected at all costs, if someone can't handle the kind of hit that while maybe a bit on the dangerous side honestly happens in the sport fairly often then there's probably a deeper issue at play beyond just "tournament bad! player get hurted!"

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

As a player you need to protect yourself, it's arguably one of the most important skills to teach young players.
Especially as a d-man when you're retrieving pucks from the corners, which is a standard play you're making shift in and shift out. Your head should be on a swivel making sure you're aware of forecheckers. Many times it's smart to iniate contact instead of waiting to get hit. If you're a smaller d-man likely to get outmuscled, use deception and skating to get out of trouble. At all times - be prepared to get hit.

Looking at this hit, if McIsaac is even a little bit prepared it would be a nothing play. It's possible Jared isn't feeling confident absorbing a hit shoulder to shoulder after his surgeries. But if that's what causes him to instead put himself in vulnerable positions it's obviously a massive issue.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
As a player you need to protect yourself, it's arguably one of the most important skills to teach young players.
Especially as a d-man when you're retrieving pucks from the corners, which is a standard play you're making shift in and shift out. Your head should be on a swivel making sure you're aware of forecheckers. Many times it's smart to iniate contact instead of waiting to get hit. If you're a smaller d-man likely to get outmuscled, use deception and skating to get out of trouble. At all times - be prepared to get hit.

Looking at this hit, if McIsaac is even a little bit prepared it would be a nothing play. It's possible Jared isn't feeling confident absorbing a hit shoulder to shoulder after his surgeries. But if that's what causes him to instead put himself in vulnerable positions it's obviously a massive issue.

I'm thinking along similar lines.

The way I'd explain it: freeze the video as the forechecker is crossing the goal line and study the situation there.

His job is to move quickly with McIsaac and try to cut him off, depending on which way McIsaac turns. The forechecker doesn't know which way McIsaac is going, and we all accept that defensemen are supposed to try and make quick turns and fake their way into some open ice.

Instead McIsaac doesn't turn, and we'd normally call the alternative option "choosing to take a hit". But instead of doing that, McIsaac just stops, facing the boards, and lowers himself down. Keep in mind, he's actually four inches taller than Malatesta here, but he makes himself look tiny. I can't get in his brain here, perhaps he's doing what many defensemen do these days and turning his numbers towards the attacker to ward off the hit (because it makes the hit illegal), or perhaps he's subconsciously protecting his repaired shoulders by not turning.

And I'm not sure what else we're seriously asking Malatesta to do there. Obviously we would want him to let up if at all possible, but we have to remember that he doesn't know where McIsaac is going until the second he runs into him. Malatesta doesn't extend through McIsaac. You can't ask a forechecker to pursue more slowly just in case the defender puts himself in a bad position.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

Pretending this is 100% on the forechecker sends a weird ass message to D-men and if anything you'll see more of these situations. You can't just blindly go into a corner and force a forechecker into a split second decision and expect him to guess which way to go to protect you when you seemingly don't know which way you want to go yourself.

McIsaac shoulder checked in the high slot before the puck even started going around the boards. He didn't take his eye off the puck after that. The entire time he chases it down, it looks like he's going to go right with the puck up the boards and Malatesta seems to be thinking the exact same thing (one hand on his stick to the right and it looks like he's going in on an angle to check McIsaac as he goes right)

At the last possible second McIsaac changes his mind and turns his legs left leaving himself no room to do anything except maybe pin the puck to the boards and leaving Malatesta directly on his back with no time to actually react. It's a literal split second reaction at a high speed. That's like criticizing someone for getting hit by a car because they didn't jump over it at the last second.

If McIsaac continues with his momentum and goes right, this is a normal hockey play we see 100 times and nobody thinks anything of it.

I wouldn't really call it victim blaming, it's just the nature of the sport. It's played fast and thousands of decisions are made every game and sometimes those decisions will have unfortunate consequences.

I don't really have a horse in this race, I'm not a DET or CBJ fan, idgaf about Malatesta. If anything I'm a little bias towards McIsaac, the guy I made a thread about when he was 14.

Janvonpobben

Sep 15, 2021

Did you even read my comment? I commented on the fact you said a rookie tournament is dangerous. Why would this tournament be more dangerous than NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad