D Jared McIsaac - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2018, 36th, DET)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Jared McIsaac - Truro, NS, CAN - 2000-03-27 - 6'0" - 181lbs - L - Cole Harbour Wolfpack

B97405423Z.120141217202838000GAT7RCFG.11.jpg

He's playing his rookie season in NSMMHL as an underage and doing extremely well. He'll be a fixture on Team Nova Scotia at the Canada Winter Games next month and will be a name to watch for in the 2016 QMJHL draft.

I figure if we're talking about Veleno, we should probably talk about McIsaac.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
He's doing what Luke Green did in midget last year, except Green had a year on him. Very impressive.

gumby and pokey

Nov 20, 2013
PEI/PQ
Agile on his feet and aware defensively. Good competitiveness. Gap control across blue line? Nice promo video. D are always in short supply.
Like all kids this age, long term development will come from developing good practice and off ice habits and dedication - all from within.
In general, I'm not convinced moving up into a higher age group makes anyone a better player long term. Just my opinion. The argument "he wouldn't be challenged" doesn't fly, as the drive, determination and grit required to get to the next level has to be developed within yourself, not driven by your opponent. Not to mention the need to develop leadership skills.
I'm not sure at that age I would pay to have a promo video done. Just adds to pressure a top athlete would already put on himself??
Long term I hope he reaches all of his hockey and educational goals.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
Agile on his feet and aware defensively. Good competitiveness. Gap control across blue line? Nice promo video. D are always in short supply.
Like all kids this age, long term development will come from developing good practice and off ice habits and dedication - all from within.
In general, I'm not convinced moving up into a higher age group makes anyone a better player long term. Just my opinion. The argument "he wouldn't be challenged" doesn't fly, as the drive, determination and grit required to get to the next level has to be developed within yourself, not driven by your opponent. Not to mention the need to develop leadership skills.
I'm not sure at that age I would pay to have a promo video done. Just adds to pressure a top athlete would already put on himself??

I don't think McIsaac's family payed Moore for that video.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
I would compare this major midget league in terms of talent to top 5 teams in GTHL Bantam major AAA Ontario

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
I don't think McIsaac's family payed Moore for that video.

Thats part of what 'Sports and Moore' the company does. They sell team packages and individual packages and you can choose of you want video / interview / youtube or all 3 .

McIssac is a special player. He is not generational talent, but he is quite arguably going to be the Top defenceman on the CGT for NS as an underage. He will have lots of options in 12 months so its good for him to pursue them all, I don't blame them one bit to get some footage together and a profile for schools / teams etc ... but really its his play that does the talking. Someone questioned the fact he wouldnt learn leadership skills if he played up in midget at 14 but if you watch the games you can see this guy is a natural leader on the ice and everything flows from there. He had nothing to prove in Bantam.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

ya Moore did not get paid for that video he is radio for mooseheads and always does a video/report on some top prospects in midget.

Also i would say he is the best defender his age i have watched in the maritimes play in all my years of scouting, and that includes guys like Luc Bourdon, Luke Green, Alex Grant, etc etc

Have to also say there is one more 2000 born defender who got special exception for midget in the maritimes and that is Chris McQuaid, this guy is super good too, IMO not MacIsaac great but just a notch bellow, I can see Chris potentially being a top 5 pick too in next years draft, he is another name to keep on the watch list.

Last edited:

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
2nd in NSMMHL scoring as a 15yo Dman, which is a very impressive feat.

Huge potential in him, will no doubt be a very high pick in the QMJHL draft.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Finally got to watch him play, his game was televised the other night. He ended up scoring a hat-trick in the second period, and it was so obvious that this kid is too good for midget AAA. There's going to be some serious hype around this kid when he hits the Q next season.

Thanks to PorkChopSandwiches for posting these links in another thread:

https://twitter.com/eastlinkkris/status/674790601792077825

https://twitter.com/EastlinkKris/status/674790728862683136

Take a look at those clips now, you're going to be hearing his name a lot over the next few years.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
There was 4 defensemen ranked in the top 10 if I remember in ScoutMan's early 2018 NHL rankings.

It seems 3 of these players could be first overall picks in their respective junior (Q,OHL,WHL) drafts.

But these 4 seem to be one hell of a group with early promise. I can't recall a single birth year where only dmen were so highly touted so early. Let's see if they live up to the billing.

Wilde
Merkley
Smith
McIsaac

2018 draft could potentially be really really good.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
What kind of defenseman does he project as? How far off from Dahlin or other defenseman in his draft class, and amongst the top D of 2016 and 17?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
What kind of defenseman does he project as? How far off from Dahlin or other defenseman in his draft class, and amongst the top D of 2016 and 17?

I would say he is a tier below Dahlin. But there is a ton of potential with him, he is big, skates well can make a good first pass out of the zone and has a good shot from the point. The biggest thing he has to work on is probably his consistence in his own end, which is pretty normal for a 16 year old D-Men in his first year of junior. I think he is a top 10 talent but next years draft looks to be loaded with top 10 talent so it's kind of hard to say where he projects.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Fearless Workhorse. Great control from the back end. Holds the puck a lot. Doesn't hang his forwards out to dry. Not afraid to handle the puck. Can carry it straight up the middle with speed and control. Strong slap shot and wrist shot. Good on the power play. Hard on the puck behind the net and in the corners. Massive compete level. Took a pounding early in the season but now is dishing it out. Taking a lot of penalties lately. Defends well. Has really progressed since the early games. When he started this year he was to aggressive offensively but now picks his spots better. At draft time he may not be the highest rated defence man but he's gonna be really good shortly after. Don't be surprised if he's wearing a cage next New Year for Canada

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad