D Hudson Thornton - Prince George Cougars,WHL (2022 undrafted)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It still keeps baffling me, how he went 2022 and 2023 drafts undrafted, if he goes
undrafted even this year...

in his last 180 games or so, 50 goals, 125 assists, 175 points, +12,
115 penalty minutes, almost 500 shots on goal.

its not like he is some small o-minded d-man
5 foot 11 (181 cm), 195 lbs (88 kg)

in todays game, that's a decent size, bigger what both Makar and Hughes
sure those two are on a complete different level, but still, also
its not like he is a bad skater or his shot is weak

Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
It still keeps baffling me, how he went 2022 and 2023 drafts undrafted, if he goes

I believe he's no longer draft eligible. He should get a pro contract when the year is over

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
why? i have never heard of that kind of rule before. when did they implement that one?
You haven't been able to be drafted as an overaged NA player for a long, long time. The only way you can be eligible is if you were drafted your 1st go around and not signed, like Ben Roger was recently.

It's why you see overaged CHL and NCAA players sign as free agents every year

"Eligibility: Any North American player who turns 18 by September 15 and does not turn 20 by Decemeber 31 is eligible for the draft."

His teammate funk is in the exact same situation as him

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I mean, that’s literally exactly what he is. The average NHL defender is 6’2 210. Just because you can find some guy that’s tinier doesn’t mean he isn’t small.

He’s a nice PP QB at this level but there are always a handful of this sort of player in the WHL doing this who just don’t really have much pro potential. Ben Zloty was ‘that guy’ last year.

When a small defender actually has real pro potential it just pops totally different, like with Zellweger the last couple years.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Other than Jansen Harkins (somewhat of an AHL\NHL tweener) few players have been drafted from Prince George.

Someone more familiar with the WHL could explain why.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Other than Jansen Harkins (somewhat of an AHL\NHL tweener) few players have been drafted from Prince George.

Someone more familiar with the WHL could explain why.

1) They've been a really bad team for a really long time.

2) I do find that players from the two teams hardest to get to (Victoria and PG) tend to be underrated a bit by scouts relative to guys playing in more central areas where more scouts are based. The amount of visibility and the amount of scouts in your home rink you get playing in PG vs. (as an example) Calgary isn't the same.

jetsfan1224

Apr 4, 2013
I mean, that’s literally exactly what he is. The average NHL defender is 6’2 210. Just because you can find some guy that’s tinier doesn’t mean he isn’t small.

He’s a nice PP QB at this level but there are always a handful of this sort of player in the WHL doing this who just don’t really have much pro potential. Ben Zloty was ‘that guy’ last year.

When a small defender actually has real pro potential it just pops totally different, like with Zellweger the last couple years.
Comparing him to Zloty? Not even close. Zloty only got assists and hardly scored. Thornton had more career goals in one season than he had in two years. Thornton is more physical and has better vision and an NHL shot! Thornton also defends so much better. Zloty just benefited from a stacked team while Thornton has put up numbers even when PG was weak. You may also want to compare his even-strength goals and assists before you just say he plays powerplay. Thornton penalty kills as well(zloty) NEVER... Thornton has pro potential and someone will take a gamble on him. Especially if he leads PG far in the playoffs

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I didn't realize this but..

Hudson has played in the CSSHL, NAPHL, BCHL, USHL and in the WHL
+ Brick Invitational, John Reid Bantam, WSI and Common Wealth Games

---------------

Will end up with (about) 60 goals and 200 career points in the WHL/CHL

6 foot 1, 200 lbs, skates well, has a good shot, defends well

But wasn't drafted...
scouting is strange

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Hey George - minor edit here if you don't mind. Replace the word 'what' with 'than' in these sorts of grammatical situations (comparisons) :)
thank you,

both are fine thou :)
btw, both translates to same word in Finnish
:)

Hey George - minor edit here if you don't mind. Replace the word 'what' with 'than' in these sorts of grammatical situations (comparisons) :)
btw. always liked your avatar pic, one of the best around here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad