D Evan Bouchard - London Knights, OHL (2018, 10th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Seth Jones and Morgan Rielly didn't win CHL D-man of the year and the guys who won it aren't anywhere close to the D-men those 2 are.

Okay but I’m not saying that he’s gonna be the best dman out of this draft. I’m just saying he is the best dman in the OHL TODAY.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He's still stiffer than cardboard... Curious yo see him in NHL

Probably the stiffest prospect I've ever seen

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He was worse by every measure compared to last year, and yet won defenseman of the year this year and lost last year.

Pretty logical.

He and the Knights started out gangbusters and then tailed off after the WJC's, why do you think that was?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Winning top Defensemen award at age 19 in his 4th ohl season doesn't really mean much. It's like that for any award like the chl player of the year or leading scorer. Also the Hoby Baker award in College if you win the award in your 20s. A lot of those players don't become high end players in the nhl. Most players that have high end nhl potential made the nhl already at that age. Also the award doesn't really mean much because you are playing against a lot of younger competition as well.

I don't see Bouchard being a top pairing D. His skating will make him struggle in keeping pace with the tempo in the nhl. He will struggle to make quick decision with the puck. Also he is not that great defensively as well. At worst he will be a 3rd pairing D. At best he will be second pairing number 3 D.

Last edited:

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Boqvist is better lmao, that award means nothing, look at the names on that list. Seth Jones, Morgan Rielly among others haven't won that award, the guys who won that award over them are barely NHL players now.

because they played in the WHL not the OHL... man you're stupid

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Winning top Defensemen award at age 19 in his 4th ohl season doesn't really mean much. It's like that for any award like the chl player of the year or leading scorer. Also the Hoby Baker award in College if you win the award in your 20s. A lot of those players don't become high end players in the nhl. Most players that have high end nhl potential made the nhl already at that age. Also the award doesn't really mean much because you are playing against a lot of younger competition as well.

I don't see Bouchard being a top pairing D. His skating will make him struggle in keeping pace with the tempo in the nhl. He will struggle to make quick decision with the puck. Also he is not that great defensively as well. At worst he will be a 3rd pairing D. At best he will be second pairing number 3 D.

Yes being named best defenceman doesn't mean much. He should give the award back.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
He and the Knights started out gangbusters and then tailed off after the WJC's, why do you think that was?

Honestly, it just felt like Bouchard and Boqvist (and Formenton) had little interest playing OHL hockey after the WJCs.

Bouchard didn't make the same impact on the ice that he did last year. It could have been due to Dale Hunter's coaching, but Bouchard very rarely made end-to-end rushes this year, which was a big part of his dynamic season last year. And defensively, he was letting his coverage slip too often or getting routinely outworked in the corners where he was dominating last year.

I really don't have an agenda I'm trying to push. I have been a big supporter of Bouchard since his 17yo season (check post #3 in this very thread). I'm just stating my opinion as someone who has watched the vast majority of his games as an OHL player.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017

He will struggle to make a quick decision with the puck? Have you seen this player? He’s elite in that aspect. People correctly question his skating and defensive play, which have the potential to be an Achilles heel for this player, but in regards to moving the puck he’s already the best Oilers D except for Sekera when he’s healthy

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He will struggle to make a quick decision with the puck? Have you seen this player? He’s elite in that aspect. People correctly question his skating and defensive play, which have the potential to be an Achilles heel for this player, but in regards to moving the puck he’s already the best Oilers D except for Sekera when he’s healthy
I disagree that his skating will hold him back and I think it is an unfair criticism of him. He's not an elite skater, but his skating is fine especially when he's walking the line or joining in the rush. Laughable that someone would question Bouchard's ability to make decisions with the puck. He's as calm and poised as any 19 year old dman you will see with the puck. If people watch him and mistake his calmness with the puck as him not making decisions quick enough then that's on him. He makes plenty of quick decisions with the puck before he even has it, but it's his ability to not panic when he knows he has time that sets him apart from other players who would rush plays in that same position.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Honestly, it just felt like Bouchard and Boqvist (and Formenton) had little interest playing OHL hockey after the WJCs.

Bouchard didn't make the same impact on the ice that he did last year. It could have been due to Dale Hunter's coaching, but Bouchard very rarely made end-to-end rushes this year, which was a big part of his dynamic season last year. And defensively, he was letting his coverage slip too often or getting routinely outworked in the corners where he was dominating last year.

I really don't have an agenda I'm trying to push. I have been a big supporter of Bouchard since his 17yo season (check post #3 in this very thread). I'm just stating my opinion as someone who has watched the vast majority of his games as an OHL player.

If I felt that you were pushing an agenda I wouldn't have asked. I watched the stats dip and I was curious, I'd rather ask you than have to watch the entire 30+ games since the WJC's myself! The bottom line is that even at the AHL level he will need to give an honest effort to grow his all around game. In a perfect world he would've been in the AHL this season but that wasn't an option.

Reactions: LDN

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
If I felt that you were pushing an agenda I wouldn't have asked. I watched the stats dip and I was curious, I'd rather ask you than have to watch the entire 30+ games since the WJC's myself! The bottom line is that even at the AHL level he will need to give an honest effort to grow his all around game. In a perfect world he would've been in the AHL this season but that wasn't an option.

I think he will pick it up in the pros. It's not that he lacks the skills or IQ, because the only thing he's truly average to below-average at is agility.

Lackluster effort is also the same criticism I had of Max Domi when he played for the Knights and he turned out great. I also think in some aspects, it's more of an issue of Dale Hunter not holding his superstars accountable and is usually corrected when players make the jump to the pros.

Reactions: LDN and Bryanbryoil

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
I disagree that his skating will hold him back and I think it is an unfair criticism of him. He's not an elite skater, but his skating is fine especially when he's walking the line or joining in the rush. Laughable that someone would question Bouchard's ability to make decisions with the puck. He's as calm and poised as any 19 year old dman you will see with the puck. If people watch him and mistake his calmness with the puck as him not making decisions quick enough then that's on him. He makes plenty of quick decisions with the puck before he even has it, but it's his ability to not panic when he knows he has time that sets him apart from other players who would rush plays in that same position.
He’s not a burner so if someone questions his skating that’s fine. He’s a d man in junior so you don’t know how good he will be defensively in NHL so that’s a legitimate question. But people questioning his ability with the puck don’t know much about this player

Also +\- is not a perfect stat but is not bad evaluating players on the same team so when he was + 28 and Boqvist was +12 maybe everyone is questioning the wrong players defensive abilities

Reactions: McFlyingV

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think he will pick it up in the pros. It's not that he lacks the skills or IQ, because the only thing he's truly average to below-average at is agility.

Lackluster effort is also the same criticism I had of Max Domi when he played for the Knights and he turned out great. I also think in some aspects, it's more of an issue of Dale Hunter not holding his superstars accountable and is usually corrected when players make the jump to the pros.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

I seem Bouchard played. Have you seen him play or you are only looking at numbers only? When you watching prospects. You need to ask yourself how would this player translate to the nhl? If people just look at numbers. Teams don't need to hire scouting staff.

Sure he is good at moving in the puck in the chl. If you have some skill. Even a horrible skater can still move the puck and put a lot numbers in the chl Nhl is a different animal. When a player is an average skater and also doesn't have elite hockey IQ. It is more that fair to think they will struggle to move the puck in the nhl.

Craig Button on tsn didn't even have him as a top 50 prospect.

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Ah the uninformed bringing up a video other people already tried to use to discredit the player as if it validates his own opinion when in reality you didn't watch jack and did exactly what you accuse other people who actually appreciate him of doing by watching a bias video of his play from over a season ago and forming an opinion. Congratz.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

I seem Bouchard played. Have you seen him play or you are only looking at numbers only? When you watching prospects. You need to ask yourself how would this player translate to the nhl? If people just look at numbers. Teams don't need to hire scouting staff.

Sure he is good at moving in the puck in the chl. If you have some skill. Even a horrible skater can still move the puck and put a lot numbers in the chl Nhl is a different animal. When a player is an average skater and also doesn't have elite hockey IQ. It is more that fair to think they will struggle to move the puck in the nhl.

Craig Button on tsn didn't even have him as a top 50 prospect.

I'm sorry but this guy is a worse source for information than wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad