D Evan Bouchard - London Knights, OHL (2018, 10th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
The Edmonton Oilers have a terrific history of teenagers jumping straight into the NHL.

Do it.
Hall: Turned out good
RNH: He was NHL ready
Klefbom: Not rushed
Yak: NHL ready, he just busted. Extra OHL time wouldn't have saved him.
Nurse: Not rushed
Drai: Turned out good
McDavid: 'nuff said
Pulju: I admit he was rushed but still early
Yama: Rightfully earned 9 games then sent down

Compared to other NHL teams, the Oilers haven't really ruined their prospects by rushing them. They just had a lot of 1st overalls that were NHL ready at age 18.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
What are your thoughts on his foot speed

Frankly, I think everyone's heard just about enough of me re: Bouchard (see pages 12-15 (?) something like that).

His straight ahead speed is fine, he has a pretty powerful stride actually. He is an upright and kind of stiff skater and it hurts his lateral mobility and his edges aren't great. But he's good going straight ahead. Which is good, because that's really all he does. It's his processing speed that I question.

Reactions: Go Away Staal

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah totally. I mean just check out the duster Draisaitl turned into

For every Draisaitl, there's a Puljujarvi, Paajarvi or Yakupov.

Even RNH was mishandled. He was a 1st overall pick and physically not ready to be in the league. That's why he's now a 50 point forward at best.

If the Oilers rush Bouchard, they'll regret it. Especially rushing him into a losing environment as a defenceman.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Even RNH was mishandled. He was a 1st overall pick and physically not ready to be in the league. That's why he's now a 50 point forward at best.

If the Oilers rush Bouchard, they'll regret it. Especially rushing him into a losing environment as a defenceman.
Tell me the last time a 1st overall pick didn't play in the NHL the following year

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Why are you listing Puljujarvi there? He's doing fine, just developing slower than the impatient folks around here would like. Nuge wasn't mishandled, he tore the league up as a rookie and only garbage ice slowed him down that season. He's a 50 point forward because he's been playing primarily defensive assignments. 50 points while basically playing the shut down role. If the Oil put him with McDavid all year like it appears will happen then you'll see what Nuge can really do.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Tell me the last time a 1st overall pick didn't play in the NHL the following year
Is that why Edmonton rushed Yakupov?

All I'm saying is that Edmonton needs to be careful with Bouchard.

He has serious skating flaws and if they rush him, as a defenceman, it might really backfire on them.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

He has serious skating flaws and if they rush him, as a defenceman, it might really backfire on them.
He absolutely doesn't have "serious skating flaws". Is he a terrific skater? No.

He's definitely a lot worse of a skater now that the Oilers drafted him apparently.

Same theme as Drai in his draft year.

Reactions: ErikBrannstrom

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
He absolutely doesn't have "serious skating flaws". Is he a terrific skater? No.

He's definitely a lot worse of a skater now that the Oilers drafted him apparently.

Same theme as Drai in his draft year.

I've watched Bouchard for a long time. Him and Hughes were the two guys I wouldn't have touched in the top 10. It has nothing to do with the Oilers or Canucks.

And no, I loved Draisaitl from the moment I saw him play in the WHL. His skating was ugly but he's a forward with elite talent. Bouchard unfortunately reminds me of Cam Barker.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Yakupov's rookie year showed that he wasn't rushed. He was ruined by our worthless coach, but he was NHL ready from a talent perspective.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yakupov didn't have hockey sense. The Oilers seem ok with drafting these players high - people attribute their early success and lack of progression to coaching, but that's the normal trajectory for low hockey sense players. They really just don't mind taking them: Nurse, Bouchard, Yakupov, all top 10 picks...I am probably more biased against low hockey sense players than anyone, but the Oilers just do not mind...that's their prerogative...

That's not to excuse coaching and their development model...but that's a discussion for another thread.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I've watched Bouchard for a long time. Him and Hughes were the two guys I wouldn't have touched in the top 10. It has nothing to do with the Oilers or Canucks.

And no, I loved Draisaitl from the moment I saw him play in the WHL. His skating was ugly but he's a forward with elite talent. Bouchard unfortunately reminds me of Cam Barker.

Ok, so if he reminds you of Barker than you must think he doesnt have much upside. So if the Oilers rush him into the NHL, there would be nothing to ruin. Yet you are also saying the Oilers will regret rushing him into the NHL. Regret what? you literally just said he is Cam Barker

Reactions: McGhost Division

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Yakupov didn't have hockey sense. The Oilers seem ok with drafting these players high - people attribute their early success and lack of progression to coaching, but that's the normal trajectory for low hockey sense players. They really just don't mind taking them: Nurse, Bouchard, Yakupov, all top 10 picks...I am probably more biased against low hockey sense players than anyone, but the Oilers just do not mind...that's their prerogative...

That's not to excuse coaching and their development model...but that's a discussion for another thread.
Did you seriously just call Bouchard a low hockey sense player...?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

Please, tell me what makes you think Bouchard is the next Cam Barker?

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
As a Canucks fan I think this was a great pick for the Oilers. Exactly the kind of player they need in their system, and they didn't have to reach for him in the draft (in fact, they were lucky he was there at 10). In my mind there isn't much separation between Hughes, Bouchard and Dobson. Will be interesting to follow their developments.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I've said this on the Oilers thread but I think personally if you are a high end passer, you almost always are going to be a good player.

Being able to pass the puck well is pretty much always the product of a high hockey IQ mind that processes the game beyond normal.

That's the main thing that impresses me about Bouchard ... his passing ability is really good, even that one pass he made to bank a pass off the end boards because he saw a rushing forward would be able to get it and have a breakaway ... that's a very high end play to be able to process that in game speed and make such a creative decision in a split second.

You don't see that every day.

Also he likes to shoot the puck ... gonna get feeds from McDavid and Draisaitl allllllll day. I think in that sense the Oilers are a great fit for him. His strengths are a great pass, with a very nice outlet/stretch pass and a solid point shot.

That's basically tailor made for McDavid and Draisaitl, he has two stud forwards that can feed his shot and he can hit with outlet passes all day long. He's gonna get prime PP minutes when ever he is ready for the big show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Curufinwe

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

You mean Yakupov who started in a lockout shortened season and had 17 goals and 14 assists in 48 games (53 point pace in 82) was not NHL ready?
He wasn't handled right on the team and we had a bad coaching staff that didnt help, but him being in the NHL had nothing to do with it. He would of made any roster that he was drafted by

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
As a Canucks fan I think this was a great pick for the Oilers. Exactly the kind of player they need in their system, and they didn't have to reach for him in the draft (in fact, they were lucky he was there at 10). In my mind there isn't much separation between Hughes, Bouchard and Dobson. Will be interesting to follow their developments.
I think both Vancouver and Edmonton got the exact defender they needed. Hughes and McDavid would not of worked together as they are both puck carriers but I think he compliments the Vancouver org well.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
One of the most efficient shooters you will see from the blue line. This guy gets everything through traffic and on net. He's a double threat to shoot or pass, and these are both at an elite level. Any deficiencies in his skating (so overblown its hilarious) and defensive reads can be learned. He's a smart kid, and he'll learn that he needs to show a little more interest and focus in the defensive end at the next level. Its not uncommon to get into these bad habits sometimes in a league like the CHL, especially when you're playing the minutes that he does.

CP4

May 13, 2018
Victoria, BC

Oh so let me guess, you think that Rasmus Sandin is the second best defender after Dahlin right?

Reactions: KYams17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad