D Evan Bouchard - London Knights, OHL (2018, 10th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Any chance he start with the Oilers this year? I mean he doesn't need to go back to the OHL to develop his game I would assume. He's already there.

The only reason he would be back with London would be to get another year of physical development. Get bigger and NHL ready.

Also Larsson is his best competition on the right side. So he would either play 1st pair or 2nd.

Good odds for him.
There is zero chance he plays first or second pair in the NHL this year.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
...we ARE talking about Edmonton here.

Yes, Oilers have rushed players in the past but defensively the Oilers don't need Bouchard. He would play in bottom pair and immediately help with the PP though.

Folks talk about Bouchard passing to McDavid or Draisaitl... but since when did they need help? Hall, McDavid, Draisaitl, Eichel, Larkin are the best in the league in taking the puck from the D zone into the O zone. Bouchard will vastly help the other lines breakout instead of the rim around the boards passes our D like to make.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Any chance he start with the Oilers this year? I mean he doesn't need to go back to the OHL to develop his game I would assume. He's already there.

The only reason he would be back with London would be to get another year of physical development. Get bigger and NHL ready.

Also Larsson is his best competition on the right side. So he would either play 1st pair or 2nd.

Good odds for him.
Left-handed D can also play on the Right side, he wouldn't be in the top 2 pairs. Not even close

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Haha I love how dramatic people are.

So I'm here, I was invited down here (not a big deal)...so in 7 years, when this is largely settled, I don't think I will even be on this board any longer haha

But when making my rounds today, I did find (predictable) resistance to my idea from a lot of people. There are a few that I got to admit that they have hockey sense concerns with Bouchard and his interviews were "not crowd pleasing"...I am having trouble drubbing interest for Joey Keane, I told the Penguins to go for him, they aren't shy about passed over players. They took a report I wrote up.

Awkwardly, I ended up meeting Bouchard too...luckily, he'll never know who I am...he'd beat the hell out of me...

I talked to one analytics guy here (real analytics, not corsi stuff) and they graded out Bouchard as their #1 guy in the whole shebang-a-bang...and I know these guys a little bit, they're good...

Not looking great for ol Mikey here...oh well...I stand by it and I think I'm gonna be all right regardless...

I wonder if you have the same opinion about Dylan Strome? His decision making in OHL drove me batshit crazy. I felt his skillset wouldn't translate until he thought the game at a higher speed. His skating wasn't a big issue with me (Draisaitl's was worse).

I need to watch Bouchard games now. Maybe he will drive me nutty with his play.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I see him sticking with the Oilers for 9 games before sending him down.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-X

The final spot will go to Ethan Bear or Evan Bouchard, most likely Bear.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
I see him sticking with the Oilers for 9 games before sending him down.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-X

The final spot will go to Ethan Bear or Evan Bouchard, most likely Bear.

Exactly what I am saying. Bouchard has more value than Russell on the 2nd pair.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Yes, Oilers have rushed players in the past but defensively the Oilers don't need Bouchard. He would play in bottom pair and immediately help with the PP though.

Folks talk about Bouchard passing to McDavid or Draisaitl... but since when did they need help? Hall, McDavid, Draisaitl, Eichel, Larkin are the best in the league in taking the puck from the D zone into the O zone. Bouchard will vastly help the other lines breakout instead of the rim around the boards passes our D like to make.
Kuzy and Ehlers are better at doing that than Eichel and Draisaitl.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Russell was decent on the second pair last season, not awful or good. I do think that Bouchard has the opportunity to steal that spot 20-35 games into the season. But to do so, he would first have to beat Ethan Bear for the third pair + PP time at training camp.

It would be in the best interest for Evan Bouchard to slowly make his way up the lineup. He would absolutely be better than Russell by the end of the season.

It's a shame that he cannot play in the AHL. I have a quick question, can a CHL player play in the SHL or Liga?

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Bouchard has also more value playing 25+min in the CHL than 11 in the NHL.
Bouchard averaged over 30 minutes per game this season in the CHL. He's already proven he can do that just fine. If he's not ready then yeah he will go back to junior cause the AHL is not an option, but it would be worth while giving him a 9 game look if he looks good in camp because he fills a big need as a puck mover and PP QB.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Kuzy and Ehlers are better at doing that than Eichel and Draisaitl.

I only mention those names because there was a report/stat a year or two back on zone exits and entries and Eichel, Hall, Gaudreau, Kane, McDavid, Draisaitl were tops. Eichel/Hall because of their speed, Gaudreau/Kane for their stickhandling, and Draisaitl (and similarly Barkov and Kopitar) for his puck protection skills.

Can’t seem to find the article... just tableau based graph

Tableau Public

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
So my buddy who is a Knights fanatic (and very bias) was giving me his take on the draft over Discord last night, and his prediction for Bouchard is "Werenski but with better linemates". I never quite saw that potential in my viewings, but this guy is pretty solid with his OHL evaluations. He warned me about Juolevi not progressing while I was still very high on him, and he predicted that Dvorak would struggle to translate his junior success at the NHL level.

Pretty exciting comparable by someone I trust a lot.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
He really doesnt.
Russell is an NHL veteran who can be good consistently. Bouchard will have his ups and downs for the next few years.
Bouchard might be an upgrade over Benning and Bear though so would be worth a 9 game look.

Klef-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Russell-Bouchard\Benning\Bear

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
So my buddy who is a Knights fanatic (and very bias) was giving me his take on the draft over Discord last night, and his prediction for Bouchard is "Werenski but with better linemates". I never quite saw that potential in my viewings, but this guy is pretty solid with his OHL evaluations. He warned me about Juolevi not progressing while I was still very high on him, and he predicted that Dvorak would struggle to translate his junior success at the NHL level.

Pretty exciting comparable by someone I trust a lot.
We badly need someone as offensive as Werenski. Would be thrilled if he could put up points like Werenski did in his rookie season.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
There is zero chance he plays first or second pair in the NHL this year.

I don't think it's likely, per se. But this is a non-zero number. Bouchard is the most physically mature defenseman I've seen in the OHL since Aaron Ekblad...Ekblad played top pair in Florida as a rookie if I recall correctly...exceptions don't prove rules and they don't play a similar style, but there is some fairly recent precedent for a physically mature OHL d-man going to a team with a very specific need for a d-man like this and him playing some time...

If Bouchard is going to be good in this league, it's going to be early. I think his first three or so years will be his prime...

Peeps

May 24, 2017
He really doesnt.
Russell is an NHL veteran who can be good consistently. Bouchard will have his ups and downs for the next few years.
Bouchard might be an upgrade over Benning and Bear though so would be worth a 9 game look.

Klef-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera

Russell can't run a PP. Bouchard can. Also the Oilers are not winning the cup anytime soon. So might aswell bring the kid so he can start right away.

Unless the Oilers want him to be a better skater and defender. I wouldn't mind that. Goes back to London for that.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't think it's likely, per se. But this is a non-zero number. Bouchard is the most physically mature defenseman I've seen in the OHL since Aaron Ekblad...Ekblad played top pair in Florida as a rookie if I recall correctly...exceptions don't prove rules and they don't play a similar style, but there is some fairly recent precedent for a physically mature OHL d-man going to a team with a very specific need for a d-man like this and him playing some time...

If Bouchard is going to be good in this league, it's going to be early. I think his first three or so years will be his prime...
What are your thoughts on his foot speed

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He really doesnt.

Klef-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera

This is the right pairing only because it has Russell correctly on the bottom pairing. Russell-Bouchard on the bottom pairing playing very sheltered minutes would be good for his development and allow Russell to actually be a solid D

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
3 years in the minors has done him enough, he's technically already played the extra year due to his super late birthday. If we had an option to send him to AHL, I would be fine with him developing there but I don't think he'll get better playing as an over-age player down there. I say let him play in the NHL. depending on how to can hold up that is.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
3 years in the minors has done him enough, he's technically already played the extra year due to his super late birthday. If we had an option to send him to AHL, I would be fine with him developing there but I don't think he'll get better playing as an over-age player down there. I say let him play in the NHL. depending on how to can hold up that is.
The Edmonton Oilers have a terrific history of teenagers jumping straight into the NHL.

Do it.

Reactions: 99664987
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad