D-Day - Canucks waive Baertschi, Biega, Goldobin

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
What a dire situation. Schaller, Eriksson, Sutter, Pearson, Beagle and Motte should all be waived, but there is somehow no youth to take their places. Ugh.
And about to give up our 1st Rd pick this draft or the next!

Reactions: vanuck

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
What a dire situation. Schaller, Eriksson, Sutter, Pearson, Beagle and Motte should all be waived, but there is somehow no youth to take their places. Ugh.

Pearson scored 9G in 19 games last year.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Should be Eriksson. Could be any of him, Motte, goldobin, schaller.
Don't think any of them would be claimed on waivers, but maybe have a shred of trade value once already in the minors.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Yeah a handful of guys who likely would be cut if they were on other team.

In my ideal lineup Goldobin, Eriksson, and Schaller all get waived.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Well Green has taken to calling Sutter "elite" on the penalty kill and love Beagle on the PK as well. He seems to see both those guys at center and he also seems to see Gaudette at center.

I suspect Gaudette gets sent down. And while he certainly outplayed a bunch of bubble guys a stretch in the AHL to see if he can get his defensive game up to snuff wouldn't be a disaster...but if he deserves to be on the team it has to be with a known timeline. Personally, I would start him out as 4th line center in sheltered minutes like last year and asking him to forget offense and concentrate on his defensive play. If that part clean up you open the offense by moving him up the lineup.

But essentially for me I don't really care about who gets waived or traded on a pretty big player list: Schaller, Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Virtanen, Fantenberg, Biega, Motte, Leivo, Goldobin, Baerstchi

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
My opinion..but I would prefer Sutter on a line with Baertschi/Gaudette..Even though Gaudette/Baertschi had a few cool moments in the pre-season..In the regular season I could see that duo conceding goals on a regular basis (and you're talking about risk)..It doesn't hurt to have a player experienced in playing a shutdown role on that line.
Sutter was bleeding goals 5 on 5 last year, and wasn't good the year before that. He also has not shown anything this preseason to suggest that those years were outliers.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
This is, in part, a question of who makes the opening night roster. If Eriksson is the 13th forward, it makes complete sense to place him on waivers. There is no way any team will pick him up. He doesn't have to be assigned to my knowledge. He can sit in the press box as a non-roster player until injuries happen and they need him in the line-up.

Goldobin waive.

Schaller waive.

Baertschi 13th forward.

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Miller
Leivo - Gaudette- Virtanen
Sutter - Beagle - Motte
Baertschi

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Given Murph’s sources and how he rarely goes out on a limb without a reason, I think it’s safe to say Gaudette makes the team.

Goldobin being gone is a given. Schaller staying makes sense given his camp, which brings us back to Eriksson or Baertschi, in my opinion.

Reactions: crazyforhockey

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
And Benning somehow got an extension lol. Easily the worst GM in the league. Let's waive decent players in Baertschi and Biega and keep trash like Eriksson

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hate that Eriksson makes the team because he's paid too much. He's done essentially nothing in preseason. You'd think a guy would have some pride after the dismal last couple of years and look to at least try but Eriksson just doesn't seem to care. He's a player I forget about too often as I don't notice him playing and he does no interviews etc that I see. I can't stand having him on the team.

Eriksson hasn't 'done nothing'.

He's been actively horrible and a complete liability.

If he was doing nothing, you could actually make an argument to keep him. But it's reached the point where he so embarrassingly behind the play it's basically impossible to keep playing him with a straight face. His performance in the last preseason game might have been the worst game I've ever seen played by a Canuck forward. Was probably into double digits in turnovers.

Waiving Biega or Baertschi to keep this useless lump on the roster would be almost impossible to comprehend.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
I would pissed if someone took 20 million of money ( a year!) and pissed it away like Benning does.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Dhaliwal with some follow up. Waiving Biega would be bloody stupid.

Now while I say I wouldn't really care if Biega was waived, trade etc (he was on my list)...he most certainly is at the bottom of my list not the top. Same can be said for Baertschi.

Now it's not shocking that the canucks will go with the opposite of what I think but I'm somehow a bit surprised they aren't trying to get someone to take a flyer on Schaller and hell even Eriksson (wouldn't happen).

edit: Goldobin was a no brainer. They never should have qualified him in the first place.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Dude what the f***

Virtanen and Eriksson over Baertschi and Biega is so cringe it hurts

Now Gaudette will be saddled with some useless f***ing plugs on his wing as well

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
If Sven gets put on waivers , I’m going to lose my mind.

We can’t score and we are letting a 20 goal guy go? What a f***ing joke.

1 or two injuries and we are a team full of grinders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad