D-Day - Canucks waive Baertschi, Biega, Goldobin

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Tomorrow the Canucks will have some waiver decisions to make in order to be compliant with the Tuesday roster deadline. So - who makes the cut? Who will be on the opening night roster?

My bets - if Boeser is healthy - are...

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Miller
Leivo - Sutter - Virtanen
Schaller - Beagle - Motte
Extra: Eriksson

Waived: Baertschi
Demoted: Gaudette

I think Baertschi will be the guy they expose to waivers - 1) because there’s actually a chance a team might take a flier on him being able to stay healthy and bounce back, and 2) because the top six is over full already and his game really isn’t suited to the bottom six.

I think the Canucks will hold Eriksson on the main roster for now - any attempt to offload his contract will likely be made even more difficult if he’s sent to the AHL (what’s worse than an already negative value?). But I don’t think he’s a guarantee to be in the lineup right away. Schaller actually had a reasonably good camp and Green likes big, physical guys, so I think he would start over Eriksson.

And Gaudette goes to Utica because of waiver eligibility and the already mentioned glut of bodies in the top six. I would personally start him over Leivo on the Sutter line and try him at wing, but I think they want him playing Center in Utica.

The defense, IMO, is much easier to predict.

Edler - Myers
Tanev - Hughes
Stecher - Benn
Extra: Biega

Fantenberg vs Biega was the only real battle I expected, but Fantenberg’s injury didn’t help him.

And then Markstrom/Demko in goal.

What do you all think?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
We're at 16 forwards right now. Rousell is starting on LTIR so that's one cut we can hold off on. Assuming Boeser is close enough that he's not on LTIR that leaves a pair of cuts to make.

I think Gaudette is one due to the business side of the game. Beyond that it could be Motte, Goldobin, or if we're feeling frisky a vet like Eriksson.

There's an outside chance we're looking at a trade and that would involve a forward. In that case we could waive Fant and start with 7 D and 14 F. That depends on their feelings about who's likely to be claimed and if they have deals close to going through.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I think Baertchi will make the team but Schaller will be waved and clearly not picked up and will be sent to Utica.

I agree your probably right unfortunately about Gaudette being demoted despite its ridiculous as he earned his shot again to be with the NHL team

The wildcard for me is Goldobin, not sure what will happen with him as hes the one too many. If they keep him, then Motte will be waved and probably clear for Utica - thats my guess. Tho wouldnt be over suprised to see Motte make the team and Goldy waved tho i think he would be picked up by some other team

What i wish would happen is Sutter traded, the problem is no other team will take on his anchor contract without unloading their hot garbage. Obviously would be ideal to get rid of Eriksson but that aint happening

A trade for a pick for Motte or Goldobin would also be ok if we cant get rid of Eriksson or Sutter

All in all i think the GM made too many mistakes with long term contracts for bottom 6 guys or mistake players like Eriksson. This will not be pretty how to deal with this, and unfortunately is the same GM who got us in the mess will have to get us out of it

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
I'd wave Schaller and Eriksson. Move Sutter to Beagle's wing so there aren't two offensive black hole centres. Gaudette and Baertschi seemed to have chemistry together so I would put them on the third line. Just get Eriksson the **** off this team.
This would be ideal. Then roll 3 scoring lines:

Ferland Pettersson Boeser
Leivo Horvat Miller
Baertchi Gaudette Pearson
Motte/Goldobin Beagle Sutter
Motte/Goldobin

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Tomorrow the Canucks will have some waiver decisions to make in order to be compliant with the Tuesday roster deadline. So - who makes the cut? Who will be on the opening night roster?

I think Baertschi will be the guy they expose to waivers - 1) because there’s actually a chance a team might take a flier on him being able to stay healthy and bounce back, and 2) because the top six is over full already and his game really isn’t suited to the bottom six.

I think the Canucks will hold Eriksson on the main roster for now - any attempt to offload his contract will likely be made even more difficult if he’s sent to the AHL (what’s worse than an already negative value?). But I don’t think he’s a guarantee to be in the lineup right away. Schaller actually had a reasonably good camp and Green likes big, physical guys, so I think he would start over Eriksson.

And Gaudette goes to Utica because of waiver eligibility and the already mentioned glut of bodies in the top six. I would personally start him over Leivo on the Sutter line and try him at wing, but I think they want him playing Center in Utica.

Edler - Myers
Tanev - Hughes
Stecher - Benn

Fantenberg vs Biega was the only real battle I expected, but Fantenberg’s injury didn’t help him.

What do you all think?

Mostly agreed. going with Baertschi over Leivo, and Leivo replace either Motte or Schaller. As I have been harping for months, it is insane that this bad a team is up against the cap. So many stupid moves trying to make a bad team tolerable. Now that we have excitement (EP. Boeser, Hughes and Horvat) and I think we barely make the playoffs, our insane signings our going to handcuff this team for 2 = 3 years.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Mostly agreed. going with Baertschi over Leivo, and Leivo replace either Motte or Schaller. As I have been harping for months, it is insane that this bad a team is up against the cap. So many stupid moves trying to make a bad team tolerable. Now that we have excitement (EP. Boeser, Hughes and Horvat) and I think we barely make the playoffs, our insane signings our going to handcuff this team for 2 = 3 years.
And unfortunately we keep making these awful signings almost every offseason. Theres been no learning unfortunately

2015 Sutter
2016 Eriksson
2018 Beagle Schaller
2019 Myers

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
I hate that Eriksson makes the team because he's paid too much. He's done essentially nothing in preseason. You'd think a guy would have some pride after the dismal last couple of years and look to at least try but Eriksson just doesn't seem to care. He's a player I forget about too often as I don't notice him playing and he does no interviews etc that I see. I can't stand having him on the team.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Would guess Gaudette is sent down for a brief period, while Goldy hits the waiver wire.

Don't think they should or will waive Baertschi. He gives them top 6 insurance for when a player goes down to injury. Would be a nice player to spot on a 3rd line to give the bottom 6 more production.

Reactions: Red

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Would guess Gaudette is sent down for a brief period, while Goldy hits the waiver wire.

Don't think they should or will waive Baertschi. He gives them top 6 insurance for when a player goes down to injury. Would be a nice player to spot on a 3rd line to give the bottom 6 more production.

If the Canucks have the sack, Eriksson should be the guy waived and Baertschi kept. But I think they chicken out from making Eriksson a headline again.

EDIT: Just to be clear, not in favour of waiving Baertschi. Just a suspicion that will happen.

Reactions: Carl Carlson

dcbc

Jul 12, 2005

Edler - Myers
Tanev - Hughes
Stecher - Benn

What do you all think?

This is only 22 players. Rosters are allowed 23. The Canucks will carry a full roster, you need to add one.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I just want Eriksson gone by whatever means possible. Pre-season was sh!t incarnate.

Gaudette should be down in Utica as the 1st line centre, honing his offense, face-offs, and working seriously on his defensive skills. Get ready for that mid-season call-up due to injuries and/or trades.

Reactions: Canucks1096

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
If the Canucks have the sack, Eriksson should be the guy waived and Baertschi kept. But I think they chicken out from making Eriksson a headline again.

EDIT: Just to be clear, not in favour of waiving Baertschi. Just a suspicion that will happen.

I agree. The smart play is to waive Eriksson, in hopes he walks away from the contract at some point. Would be ecstatic, but not holding my breath.

Baertschi is really tight with Horvat. Don't see them discarding Sven like that. If he's relatively healthy he provides good value at that cap hit too IMO.

Goldobin is waiver bound.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I think it will be 14 forwards and 7 defensemen to start with.

Baertschi - Sutter - Virtanen
Leivo - Beagle - Eriksson
Extras: Motte, Schaller

Edler - Myers
Tanev - Hughes
Stecher - Benn

Waived: Goldobin, Fantenberg (or can he be moved to IR?)
I think Gaudette starts in the minors due to the mess of forwards but that he'll be the first callup and as as soon as Sutter can possibly be moved (mid-season maybe?) or the inevitable injuries happen, he'll be up permanently.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Ferland Petey Boeser
Pearson Horvat Miller
Baer Sutter Leivo
Eriksson Beagle Virtanen
Motte

Schaller waive
Gaudette ahl
Goldobin waive or traded for a 6th round pick

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
no idea if this works for salary cap purposes

pettersson, ferland, boeser
horvat, miller, baertschi
sutter, gaudette, baertschi
beagle, schaller, leivo
virtanen, eriksson

edler, myers
hughes, tanev
benn, stecher
biega

roussel, fantenberg on ir

motte and goldy waived

brisebois paper reassignment but hangs out or maybe boeser gies on ir
when fantenberg and boeser healthy, brisebois and eriksson go

i think motte only gets waived over eriksson hoping to get him through in the mob. goldy they will be ok to lose.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
This would be ideal. Then roll 3 scoring lines:

Ferland Pettersson Boeser
Leivo Horvat Miller
Baertchi Gaudette Pearson
Motte/Goldobin Beagle Sutter
Motte/Goldobin

Only way the team can roll 3 scoring lines is to move Miller down to the third line center. That wouldn't make sense and let Horvat play with no legit top 6 winger.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This is only 22 players. Rosters are allowed 23. The Canucks will carry a full roster, you need to add one.

Oops. My bad. Maybe they do keep Baertschi around as well, then - not sure how tight to the cap we are.

Also forgot Goldobin, but I forgot he was even at camp after that invisible showing.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
no idea if this works for salary cap purposes

pettersson, ferland, boeser
horvat, miller, baertschi
sutter, gaudette, baertschi
beagle, schaller, leivo
virtanen, eriksson

edler, myers
hughes, tanev
benn, stecher
biega

roussel, fantenberg on ir

motte and goldy waived

brisebois paper reassignment but hangs out or maybe boeser gies on ir
when fantenberg and boeser healthy, brisebois and eriksson go

i think motte only gets waived over eriksson hoping to get him through in the mob. goldy they will be ok to lose.

Not sure but think its better to put Virtanen with Gaudette rather that baertschi play on both the 2nd and 3rd lines. Just being a jerk, I assume you meant Pearson on one of the lines.

Reactions: Peter10

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

Edler - Myers
Tanev - Hughes
Stecher - Benn

What do you all think?
I had picked the same team as you a week ago but I would probably keep Gaudette over Motte now, after preseason. Gaudette pushed his way into the lineup imho while Motte duidn't do himself any favors with a pretty uninspired performance this year.

Two other minor differences; I think Baertchi probably returns a very modest trade return (late pick, veteran AHL D etc), and I would keep both Biega AND Fantenburg on the team. We'll surely need both of them and more on the blueline by Christmas.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Gaudette getting sent down because they have to will be masked by announcing Horvat as captain.

Goldobin is getting waived if they can't trade him first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad