D Corson Ceulemans - Brooks Bandits, AJHL (2021, 25th, CBJ)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Despite being drafted by the WHL’s Moose Jaw Warriors, defenceman Corson Ceulemans has opted to continue playing Junior A hockey with the Brooks Bandits in the AJHL in order to maintain his NCAA Eligibility. He is committed to playing for the Wisconsin Badgers next season. Ceulemans AJHL season was cut short by the COVID pandemic. He scored four goals and seven assists for 11 points in just eight games this season.

Cuelemans also represented Canada at the recent IIHF Under-18 World Championships. It was a real breakout performance for the young defenceman. He scored one goal and seven assists for eight points in six games. Cuelemans led the tournament in assists by a defenceman and helped Canada to an undefeated record and a gold medal.

In 2019-20 Ceulemans put up five goals and 30 assists for 35 points in 44 games. He also had four assists in four games with Team Canada Black at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. Ceulemans played for Team Canada West at the World Junior A Hockey Challenge. His father, Colin Ceulemans, played Division-III hockey for Concordia College in Minnesota.

2021 NHL Draft #23: Corson Ceulemans Scouting Report

Reactions: CanuckCity

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Some questions about him regarding his defensive abilities and decision making.

I thought he would catapult into the top 10 but it looks like he is dropping more and more.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Some questions about him regarding his defensive abilities and decision making.

I thought he would catapult into the top 10 but it looks like he is dropping more and more.
Kind of difficult to move up playing 8 games in the ajhl this season. Tools are there but questions about how he uses them.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I personally think this guy is very deserving of a top 10 selection, extremely talented and had a very good U18 playing in all situations (was trusted on the PK over Clarke, for example). Great character. Projects as a Charlie McAvoy+ for me.

Reactions: Drunkenfish

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
I think he may go top 10
2d7ed1f3582d8c311803e436b54b671d.gif

Reactions: Frk It and Realgud

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
i think he'll be a Jet imo. Winnipeg could always use more defensive prospects and he can be a good player down the road

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
After reading that sure hope Blues don’t pick him. Sounds like another Jordan Schmaltz.

Article speaks more to the credibility and bias of the writer than it does the player's potential.

If missing a 24-game WHL season means a player somehow is no longer progressing that doesn't say much for that player's ability.

Looking at the defensemen who've come through the Wisconsin program lately all have seemed to benefit from their time in Madison.

Reactions: CBJx614

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
For some reason, I don't really like this guy's IQ/Decision making and he can be a bit of a wild card in his own end too. Tends to chase plays and do too much puck watching to me.

Solid size & good skating and ok offensive skills is probably enough for him to go in the first round.

He has potentially good toolkit but I don't know if he has enough head to use his toolkit effectively. I am not sure if you can teach that part of the game other than teach to select less risky options.

He is one of the potential busts in this draft if you ask me.

Last edited:

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I'm mildly bullish on his potential

If he hits his upside, he could be a Brent Burns type. Ceulemans has some issues with defensive coverage and defensive decision-making at times, but it's not glaringly bad, and there's a lot of good, strong fundamentals to work with. Plus he has good creativity and confidence with the puck and upside of an impactful offensive player.

Drunkenfish

Oct 1, 2018
I personally think this guy is very deserving of a top 10 selection, extremely talented and had a very good U18 playing in all situations (was trusted on the PK over Clarke, for example). Great character. Projects as a Charlie McAvoy+ for me.
I dont know man, Charlie is underrated ( finish 5th in the Norris voting ) and still pretty young.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
How would you say his play this year stacks up to Sanderson’s D+1?

Well we all know how it would be perceived if he was drafted by the Sens right?

I think the jury is still out on him as some Dmen take time to develop and others rocket up in their D+1 year but he looks like a very solid prospect and Columbus just might have 3 really important pieces of their future from the first round in 2021 along with some other nice projects in the last 2 drafts.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How would you say his play this year stacks up to Sanderson’s D+1?

Ceulemans is making the tough transition from AJHL, his early games were nothing special. It's just in the last few weeks that we see clips of him whipping out his tools.

Sanderson was further along at this age. Frankly I'd be thrilled if Ceulemans is anywhere near that good.

Columbus destroyed this draft. Johnson and Sillinger up front and nabbing Ceulemans and Svozil on defense is outstanding work.

We'll see. I loved the Sillinger and Svozil picks. I'm starting to get the idea that I underestimated Ceulemans. I'd love to have the same thing happen with Johnson but he's still miles away. Very understrength and has a lot of issues in his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad