Player Discussion D. Brassard (F)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think it was Ian posting this morning on the most likely starting lineup.

Had Gambrell, Brass, and Zaitsev as onlookers.

Looks like we’re going to run 23 on the roster. Should give us good injury cover and allow guys to be subbed out if needs be.

Looks like Kastelic has made the team, and we know he want be sitting unless he struggles.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Brassard needs 49 games to get to 1,000 games & it really is the only reason we signed him IMO. We have plenty of fire power up front & on the PP although he could add a little more to the PP, it's mostly for him to get his record & IMO Giroux helped him get that deal. He will also be another good mentor for the young guys especially the centres. Unfortunately, I think it means that Kastelic starts in Belleville for another half season or until injuries occur given he is waiver exempt. I imagine Kelly, Gambrell & Brassard share the 4th line C & LW spots until Brassard gets the record. Once he achieves that record than IMO they will have the remainder of the season to dress the best players who will help them get into the playoffs & compete in the playoffs. Signing Brassard doesn't hurt the team, but should help mentor the young guys with the ups & downs of a season & what is required to push for a playoff spot.
In this case you don't sign a guy just so he can chase a record. He's an OK vet at a cheap price that can fill in if needed. The 1000 game thing is a minor detail.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think we'd be calling guys up for road trips if we went that route. Belleville is close enough for home games.
The 20 man roster is if we are right up to 83.5M next season.

In case of injury which is not LTIR you can play 1 game with less than 18 skaters and then bring up a player making 850K or less without cap impact (emergency recall).

If we are at 83.5M with 22 or 23 players then you go with a 20 man roster when feasible to accrue cap space. There are potential waiver issues if not planned properly.

-

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
In this case you don't sign a guy just so he can chase a record. He's an OK vet at a cheap price that can fill in if needed. The 1000 game thing is a minor detail.
Not for him it isn’t, or the guys in the room. You know Brass is going to use that as extra motivation to force his way into the lineup as often as possible.

I’m rooting for him for sure!

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Not for him it isn’t, or the guys in the room. You know Brass is going to use that as extra motivation to force his way into the lineup as often as possible.

I’m rooting for him for sure!
For him and the others players of course it is a big deal. But that was not the reason he was signed as another poster suggested.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I like the signing. Most likely scratched more than play, but I'd play him over Gambrell.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He looked cooked on the oilers.
He's at best the 13th forward and Formenton may eventually be here. Low risk move, as long as he understands his role it's a good addition. He produced in Philly last year, only played 15 games in Edmonton where he played down in the lineup. There's going to be injuries, the trickle down should be good for Bellville and all the prospect development.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tkachuk - Norris - Joseph
Stutzle - Pinto - Batherson
DeBrincat - Brassard - Giroux
Motte - Kastelic - Watson/Kelly/Gambrell

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Tkachuk - Norris - Joseph
Stutzle - Pinto - Batherson
DeBrincat - Brassard - Giroux
Motte - Kastelic - Watson/Kelly/Gambrell
Why are we moving Stützle to the wing, he's been so much more effective as a center.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Why are we moving Stützle to the wing, he's been so much more effective as a center.
I was wondering how to fit Brassard into the lineup in the top 9 where we have three productive lines. There was a discussion on the Team 1200 the other day about how difficult it is to play with Stutzle at centre because he is all over the place & unpredictable not just for the opposition, but for his teammates who play with him. He's a good enough player that he should be effective where ever he plays & I doubt they move him from centre anytime soon. However, I'm not sure how long he will centre DeBrincat & Giroux though, not sure he fits with those two, Norris seemed to fit better because he plays a more traditional two way centre style.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I was wondering how to fit Brassard into the lineup in the top 9 where we have three productive lines. There was a discussion on the Team 1200 the other day about how difficult it is to play with Stutzle at centre because he is all over the place & unpredictable not just for the opposition, but for his teammates who play with him. He's a good enough player that he should be effective where ever he plays & I doubt they move him from centre anytime soon. However, I'm not sure how long he will centre DeBrincat & Giroux though, not sure he fits with those two, Norris seemed to fit better because he plays a more traditional two way centre style.
He’ll be first injury call up, or replace Kelly or Kastelic if they struggle. He won’t be a starting roster guy.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He looked cooked on the oilers.
He mentioned something about spending months in a hotel room, and it sounded like a terrible fit. His body language had the feel, talking about Edmonton, like he was totally disrespected

Aragorn, just remember last season we had Logan Shaw as the 4th line center after the injury to Colin White...and Pinto wasn't even injured yet.

This may be the most important signing of the year and at that price. I cannot overstate how important it will be to have a guy like Brass in our back pocket.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Aragorn, just remember last season we had Logan Shaw as the 4th line center after the injury to Colin White...and Pinto wasn't even injured yet.

This may be the most important signing of the year and at that price. I cannot overstate how important it will be to have a guy like Brass in our back pocket.
We have more depth than last year even without Brassard,

Fourth line depth at center is Kastelic, Gambrell, Brassard, Greig, lots of options before needing to call up someone like Shaw or Luccini.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We have more depth than last year even without Brassard,

Fourth line depth at center is Kastelic, Gambrell, Brassard, Greig, lots of options before needing to call up someone like Shaw or Luccini.
I think Brassard & Greig will be top nine replacements & the others as 4th line replacements. I don't see Brass or Greig for that matter on the 4th line at all.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Stutzle may need to play with more creative free-flow players than Debrincat and Giroux; however, I am not writing off the trio just yet. I remember watching the Hedberg - Nillson - Hull line on the WHL Winnipeg Jets. That line was very free-flow and creative, so much so that Edmonton copied that approach with great success.

Reactions: aragorn

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think Brassard & Greig will be top nine replacements & the others as 4th line replacements. I don't see Brass or Greig for that matter on the 4th line at all.

Agreed - I assume Crookshank would be an option for the 4th line.

Reactions: aragorn

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The best value signing, all for minimum wage, that I have seen Dorion make. When Norris went down, this guy provided some relief. Now he has 13 goals and 23 points. Another sick, but unheralded, move by Sens brass on Brass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and Ice-Tray

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
13 goals. I don't think he planned on playing so much hockey at the start of the season. His skating has improved as the season went along. A great vet

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
If he is willing to come back/not retiring, it's a no-brainer imo. Let him play the role he was supposed to play this year.

Reactions: OmniSens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad