Value of: (D) BRADEN SCHNEIDER (NYR)

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Wouldn't move Hogz for him anyway but cute how you left out the 17 goals all even strength and while averaging 11 mins with Nils Amann as his centre, minus his last 3 goals.

What’s cute is how often Canucks fans propose Hoglander, a diminutive wing, in every thread about a player who plays a more premium position, like C or RD.

It makes it seem like you’re trying to get rid of him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I wasn’t interested previously but now that you’ve posted in all caps I feel like the Sabres must have him.

To be completely serious though, Schneider would be a terrific addition for the Sabres...all caps or otherwise. He's exactly the sort of young player who would fit what they seem to need as a more physical, stay-at-home RHD who can still move pretty well. Probably make a great partner for Power or Dahlin...letting them handle more of the offensive heavy lifting for the pairing.

Question is...what would the Rangers want in return? Mittelstadt would presumably be of interest. Krebs probably isn't quite established enough, but i'd imagine he'd have value to the Rangers too, as part of a package. Kind of wonder if there's not actually a fit there somewhere. Despite being in Conference and In State.

Sabres could probably also send them a bottom-pair RHD to backfill for the time being as well, as part of the deal. Maybe Jokiharju or expiring veteran like EJ would slide right into the same sort of role pretty easily.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
To be completely serious though, Schneider would be a terrific addition for the Sabres...all caps or otherwise. He's exactly the sort of young player who would fit what they seem to need as a more physical, stay-at-home RHD who can still move pretty well. Probably make a great partner for Power or Dahlin...letting them handle more of the offensive heavy lifting for the pairing.

Question is...what would the Rangers want in return? Mittelstadt would presumably be of interest. Krebs probably isn't quite established enough, but i'd imagine he'd have value to the Rangers too, as part of a package. Kind of wonder if there's not actually a fit there somewhere. Despite being in Conference and In State.

Sabres could probably also send them a bottom-pair RHD to backfill for the time being as well, as part of the deal. Maybe Jokiharju or expiring veteran like EJ would slide right into the same sort of role pretty easily.
It's been said before ---- the Rangers don't have a replacement for Schneider. We're hoping he continues improving so he can replace Trouba and his 8M cap hit. He's not available. He's the opposite of available. We're relying on him making that jump and become a staple behind Fox on the right side.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

The contract for Mittelstadt would likely kill some of that interest. He's playing himself into a pretty nice contract.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Schneider to Sabres should cost Cozens

if a team is looking for an early-career long-term RHD, that isn't cheap
and what NYR would need back is a C with similar age and upside and size, and similarly proven at NHL level despite his youth

I don't want to move Schneider anyway,
but can't see it happening unless return is Cozens/Pinto/Grieg type return

which folks here will decline

so lock the thing up ...

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's been said before ---- the Rangers don't have a replacement for Schneider. We're hoping he continues improving so he can replace Trouba and his 8M cap hit. He's not available. He's the opposite of available. We're relying on him making that jump and become a staple behind Fox on the right side.

That's fair. It's always seemed like he was the obvious "succession plan" for Trouba. But that also sort of comes down to what the realistic timeline of that plan is. Whether the Rangers are going to be ready to just move on sooner rather than later, or whether it's going to get kicked down the road to a point where Schneider will be older and the Rangers would have time to try to find a new replacement.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
NYR doesn't want draft picks obviously, but what's his value in draft pick value? 10th overall? (he's played about 10th most games in draft class so just back of the napkin here)

Follow up, what would NYR give up to get rid of Goodrow's contract (4 x $3.6M)? Is there a big difference between those two values?

(not suggesting this as a framework for a trade, but just curious)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Not even in a package for Chychrun?
I never understood the obsession for Chychrun. Adding some package would just most likely create a different hole to get Chychrun, and then worry about the next contract.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Schneider to Sabres should cost Cozens

if a team is looking for an early-career long-term RHD, that isn't cheap
and what NYR would need back is a C with similar age and upside and size, and similarly proven at NHL level despite his youth

I don't want to move Schneider anyway,
but can't see it happening unless return is Cozens/Pinto/Grieg type return

which folks here will decline

so lock the thing up ...

I feel like the jump from Pinto/Grieg to...Cozens, is a pretty darn steep one. I'd value those as a completely different tier of player. Mittelstadt would probably be the more comparable one from Buffalo, but as mentioned above...getting him re-signed to a reasonable deal might not be possible, so that becomes a problem. And Krebs is probably a cut below those two, a lot less proven.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
NYR doesn't want draft picks obviously, but what's his value in draft pick value? 10th overall? (he's played about 10th most games in draft class so just back of the napkin here)

Follow up, what would NYR give up to get rid of Goodrow's contract (4 x $3.6M)? Is there a big difference between those two values?

(not suggesting this as a framework for a trade, but just curious)
Rangers can just buy out Goody if need be. His buyout isn't brutal.

Last edited:
Reactions: bl02 and UnSandvich
Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
Rangers can just buy out Goody if need be. His buyout isn't brutal.
I would agree it's probably most likely course of action, so don't want to hijack the thread but certainly there's a price they'd pay to avoid $3.6M cost of keeping him this year (when NYR are on shortlist of competitors) + $7.5M in total buyout cost (including a $3.5M lump in year 3) + finding a replacement for 3 seasons ($3M). I'm guessing by your response that it would be lower than Schneider value.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
What’s cute is how often Canucks fans propose Hoglander, a diminutive wing, in every thread about a player who plays a more premium position, like C or RD.

It makes it seem like you’re trying to get rid of him.
I never proposed him so don't lump my response in with theirs.

Without looking at said proposals is maybe they offered him because they view him as valuable?
And if they didn't value him that's on them and are probably the type that value magic beans over actual players.

I won't pretend to know the value of a player I don't watch often like you have done with Hoglander because diminutive is not an adjective anyone who watches him would use. He's insanely strong, who's forechecking is one of his strongest assets.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I never proposed him so don't lump my response in with theirs.

Without looking at said proposals is maybe they offered him because they view him as valuable?
And if they didn't value him that's on them and are probably the type that value magic beans over actual players.

I won't pretend to know the value of a player I don't watch often like you have done with Hoglander because diminutive is not an adjective anyone who watches him would use. He's insanely strong, who's forechecking is one of his strongest assets.

That's quite the lead up to the pump and dump.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I would agree it's probably most likely course of action, so don't want to hijack the thread but certainly there's a price they'd pay to avoid $3.6M cost of keeping him this year (when NYR are on shortlist of competitors) + $7.5M in total buyout cost (including a $3.5M lump in year 3) + finding a replacement for 3 seasons ($3M). I'm guessing by your response that it would be lower than Schneider value.

It would definitely be lower than Schneider’s value. As previously stated, there’s only one bad year on goodrow’s buyout. Also the Rangers have more cap space than most Stanley Cup hopefuls this season due to the Chytil injury.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
To be clear, I'm in the minority amongst Ranger fans on this, but I see a lot of sense in spinning Schneider this summer. I like the kid a lot, but it comes down to two ways of viewing this team's roster. Most of the fans (myself included) want to move Trouba the second the NMC turns into a m-NTC and move Scheider up to the 2nd pair. Between naming him captain, the bump in the cap coming up, and just based on previous comments/decisions by NYR brass, I just don't think they see Trouba as an albatross. If you look at if from the (likely) point of view of NYR management, in a world where Fox and Trouba are going to be around for several years on the first and second pair, then suddenly we have a problem.

When you have a young guy on the 3rd pair and he's completely blocked for a bit, he's either going to stagnate from lack of opportunity or earn a salary that doesn't make sense for a guy deployed in a 3rd pair role. The longer he's stuck there, the less value he's going to have.

Considering the stated needs of both teams, I really do think the most logical move is to do something around Schneids and Mittelstadt. Buffalo has a wealth of young centers coming up and could use a good young RD. The Rangers are swimming in wingers but have no centers of note in the system. Trading Schneider and replacing him with someone like Robertson or a FA 3rd pair guy WILL hurt the 3rd pair, but suddenly the Rangers would be three lines deep. Mittelstadt's defensive play would improve team D in a big way. If Chytil can come back, he could be pushed to the RW, solving that issue as well.

It just makes a lot of sense to me.

Reactions: biturbo19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad