Confirmed with Link: D Andrew Peeke for Jakub Zboril and a 2027 3rd Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Starting next the CAP shouldn't be an issue unless they spend poorly on Free Agents. considering the expiring contract for Forbort is more than Peeke's and he is significantly younger, it's not that big of a a swing. Based on his 1st year, the talent is there. the trainwreck known as Columbus did not do this kid any favors. Columbus got rid of a good amount of talent through trades and losing people to free agency. Not exactly a stable environment. So Peeke isn't at the level to make others better, that doesn't mean he doesn't improve, playing with better players.
We'll just have to wait and see.
He could pan out, but the contract is virtually the same as Forbort. We're talking $250k less cap hit.

It's fair to question, yes. It's also fair to think it's okay. To me the Peeke contract is different from the Reilly, Forbort, Moore deals in that all three of them were established NHLers who were what they were at the time of signing. Reilly maybe had some upside. Peeke is young for an NHL defenseman, is a right shot/right side player, and plays a much more physical game than any of them, with upside to his game. That makes him different. But who knows if it is worth it at this point? It might be, and it might not be, but to call it out as bad before he's ever played a game seems premature.
Teams are willing to risk overpay for a RHD. It's that simple. There are not as many in the game. The market has them at this level of pay, not their play, no matter who the RHD is.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If you want an example of players developing at different rates, look at Seidenberg. At any rate, I’m going to give Sweeney the benefit of the doubt in terms of they can spot things that we may not see. A third for a D that has some miles in the NHL provides immediate return instead of them drafting and waiting for him to develop. I think transactions like this is what they need to do to keep the ship rolling. It’s either this or rebuild. I don’t see a bad thing about it.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Fluto on Toucher and Hardy was very supportive of Sweeney and lauded his work with UFA's this past summer stating that this team wouldn't have had near the success they have without Heinen, JVR, Geekie, Shattenkirk, Boquist, etc and that he deserves the benefit of the doubt on Peeke. Went on to say many players have come to Boston and have found their identities under the tutelage of the staff.

He included Linus Ullmark in this discussion, citing his decision to stay in Boston was clearly based on the fact that he loves being a Bruin, but also...Boston is where he developed into an elite goaltender.

So, while I agree that Sweeney has made a few head-scratching moves over the years, he has a remarkable history of finding talent in less obvious places. Sweeney was flamed when he took Mason Lohrei in the 2nd round ahead of a long list of "notable" prospects. Look at him now.

If you remove the 2015 draft (where he deferred to the existing scout team), his draft history is better than he gets credit for. His trade history is fine too. And recently, his UFA signings have been solid.

I think the negative response to the trade for Peeke is appropriate given the price paid and the fact Peeke has regressed badly in CBJ, but I think Sweeney works in mysterious ways and there is a chance Peeke develops into the player (or something close to the player that earned him a call in the 2nd round in 2016.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Sorry if these were already posted, but I was over on CF and saw Peeke had 3 recent scouting reports written on him. No idea who the scout was (or if it was even a scout) that wrote them:

1710169308108.png

1710169345973.png

1710169372586.png

Reactions: Mad-Marcus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad