U18: Czech U18 team 2023/24

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Shouldn’t be drawing any huge conclusions from the Hlinka let alone three exhibition games vs. Switzerland, but I’m a sucker for early predictions. So here are some final thoughts going into the tournament:

Rising:

Kos – Probably the most consistent forward on the team. Wouldn’t be shocked if I have him ahead of Jecho at the end of the year.

Curran – Looking more and more like a legitimate draft prospect.

Jiricek – I wasn’t as high on him last season as others but playing among his peers he very clearly stands out as a high-end prospect.

Svozil – Just an excellent all-around two-way D with a very clear path to the NHL.

Falling:

Galvas – Still one of the most talented players in terms of upside but man does he have a long way to go.

Jecho – Still waiting for him to really dominate in his age group.

Titlbach – I’ve never been high on him and he again didn’t look great in these 3 games. Not an NHL prospect for me.
I agree.
I'm just not sure about Svozil. He certainly has great potential, he is the type of smart player, but sometimes I see inconsistency and laxity in him. He is also rumored to not have the same work ethic as his brother.

Reactions: pgfan66

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Shouldn’t be drawing any huge conclusions from the Hlinka let alone three exhibition games vs. Switzerland, but I’m a sucker for early predictions. So here are some final thoughts going into the tournament:

Rising:

Kos – Probably the most consistent forward on the team. Wouldn’t be shocked if I have him ahead of Jecho at the end of the year.

Curran – Looking more and more like a legitimate draft prospect.

Jiricek – I wasn’t as high on him last season as others but playing among his peers he very clearly stands out as a high-end prospect.

Svozil – Just an excellent all-around two-way D with a very clear path to the NHL.

Falling:

Galvas – Still one of the most talented players in terms of upside but man does he have a long way to go.

Jecho – Still waiting for him to really dominate in his age group.

Titlbach – I’ve never been high on him and he again didn’t look great in these 3 games. Not an NHL prospect for me.
I mostly agree, not sure if Curran can make much impact at the WHL level, because even with the Czech team I prefer him in a more sheltered role. But with his physical tools he can be interesting to NHL teams even with a weaker season I guess.

I would just replace Galvas with Fibigr on your list. Galvas has been fine, plenty of good plays even though the physical limitations are still big at the moment. Fibigr on the other hand had barely shown anything, he rotated with Skok and Zielinski and based on the three games, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start on the bench. Skok is more refined and mature, Zielinski is a RD and also brings more physical play.

Also, slight risers for me would be M.Marik and A.Hlinsky. The goalie looked great in the lone loss, I think he is a bit taller than Milota too. Hlinsky is not an NHL prospect at the moment, but he is decent at this level. When I saw he's the captain I wasn't thrilled, because it locked him into a regular roster spot, but he is clearly deserving of one.

Reactions: Czechboy

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I mostly agree, not sure if Curran can make much impact at the WHL level, because even with the Czech team I prefer him in a more sheltered role. But with his physical tools he can be interesting to NHL teams even with a weaker season I guess.

I would just replace Galvas with Fibigr on your list. Galvas has been fine, plenty of good plays even though the physical limitations are still big at the moment. Fibigr on the other hand had barely shown anything, he rotated with Skok and Zielinski and based on the three games, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start on the bench. Skok is more refined and mature, Zielinski is a RD and also brings more physical play.

Also, slight risers for me would be M.Marik and A.Hlinsky. The goalie looked great in the lone loss, I think he is a bit taller than Milota too. Hlinsky is not an NHL prospect at the moment, but he is decent at this level. When I saw he's the captain I wasn't thrilled, because it locked him into a regular roster spot, but he is clearly deserving of one.
Good call on Hlinsky. He surprised me too. I still like Fibigr as much as before because I think he’s much better defensively than Galvas. Didn’t rise nor fall for me.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
So it seems all of our guys are running to CHL. Jecho, Kral, Drancak, Koci, Vochvest, Titlbach etc. dont know how to feel about this. It can actually be a good step for their development, but NT will definitely suffer from this.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So it seems all of our guys are running to CHL. Jecho, Kral, Drancak, Koci, Vochvest, Titlbach etc. dont know how to feel about this. It can actually be a good step for their development, but NT will definitely suffer from this.
It's bad... but it's also the Czech federations fault. This is now a decade and a half old problem. I see no improvement. Only glimmer is that kilich, sale, jiricek and svozil stayed and seem to be on right track.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
It's bad... but it's also the Czech federations fault. This is now a decade and a half old problem. I see no improvement. Only glimmer is that kilich, sale, jiricek and svozil stayed and seem to be on right track.
Yeah It certainly doesnt paint a good picture about our youth competitions and domestic developement in general. I gues from a player perspective is a good move. You know you dont get much chance in ELH cause most team rather play 30yo + overpaid veterans and if you want to show yourself before the draft you also know that CHL is more quality and especially has much bigger name then our U20 league.

So from a players perspective, only logical move.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah It certainly doesnt paint a good picture about our youth competitions and domestic developement in general. I gues from a player perspective is a good move. You know you dont get much chance in ELH cause most team rather play 30yo + overpaid veterans and if you want to show yourself before the draft you also know that CHL is more quality and especially has much bigger name then our U20 league.

So from a players perspective, only logical move.
Unfortunately that is their best move... very frustrating. A lot of NT coaches sent their kids to CHL... spacek, reichel, petr... vrvata will too. Musils left. Svozil brother in Finland is telling too. Stan stayed and his family chose Finland.

I hate it ftr

It seems to go like this if you are 17

Playing in Czech u18... zero chance
Playing in Czech u20... 1 percent chance
In extraliga... 8 minutes a night if you are first round potential

It's ugly.lol. I'm exaggerating for humor but it really is shit. If I had a good 17 year old son.. we are gone!

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Of the 25 CHL-drafted Czechs, I expect Badinka, Fibigr, Galvas, Jiricek, Svozil to be the only ones not reporting for the start of the season. But I also expect Fibigr, Galvas and Svozil to go eventually, either for the second half or next season. It’s tough for Czech junior hockey but totally understandable.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
There was simply no space for them in the Czech U20 junior league. Hopefully people at the Czech hockey association see this and vote for the annual U20 league expansion once again, that will do the trick.
CHL has 60 teams and Canada is the best at hockey.

I see no reason the Czechs can't have 60 junior teams so we can compete!

Expansion is the key!lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Today's lineup... There is a YouTube stream that was posted on hlinka thread here.

Jecho on line 3 and galvas on third pair is odd to me.

I don't care if we lose 10-0... But no injuries to key players in exhibition matches!

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Jecho on line 3 and galvas on third pair is odd to me.
I don't know about Czechia but in Germany it's normal to just list lines in random order, with the starting lineup as line 1. Don't think it really means anything here either.

Also with today's game (and the 3 vs. Switzerland) I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Lukas Kral is the 3rd best 06 forward behind Kos and Jecho.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't know about Czechia but in Germany it's normal to just list lines in random order, with the starting lineup as line 1. Don't think it really means anything here either.

Also with today's game (and the 3 vs. Switzerland) I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Lukas Kral is the 3rd best 06 forward behind Kos and Jecho.
Is he the one we didn't bring?lol.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Czech turbo-flea.

That is just pathetic...

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Is David svozil hurt or healthy scratched?
In fact, I just now realized that I practically did not notice him. Other players were prominent. So I have no idea, it's strange, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was really a healthy scratch.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
In fact, I just now realized that I practically did not notice him. Other players were prominent. So I have no idea, it's strange, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was really a healthy scratch.
Same... I was looking at lineup and thinking a 'name' is missing... Then I realized I hadn't seen svozil ... I would've thought top 4.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
There is no world in which Kral, Zielenski and Skok are all better options than Svozil. Has to be injured, he has been good against Switzerland in the prep games even though he has his faults, as do all players at this age. I think he had low IT against Canada, so an injury is a very likely cause.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
There is no world in which Kral, Zielenski and Skok are all better options than Svozil. Has to be injured, he has been good against Switzerland in the prep games even though he has his faults, as do all players at this age. I think he had low IT against Canada, so an injury is a very likely cause.
Since I haven't seen everything, I can't speak completely objectively. From what I saw, Zielinski came across as a solid defender. I definitely agree with Skok and the Král. If my statement sounded like a criticism of Svozil, it was rather meant as a statement of slight disappointment. As with Galvas recently (who was very good today from what I saw), But sure, he should have been in the lineup if he was healthy..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad