U18: Czech U18 team 2023/24

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
From what I saw today, Jiříček was probably our best player. Galvas has a deficit in one-on-one fights and needs to be much better at them.
It's a shame, we had more chances and conceded a very simple decisive goal. But the Swiss have a good team overall.

onhockey.tv
As always..
If thats the case, then it looked like a classic czech match. Being better but losing lol.

But who exactly from swiss is good in that squad? I am asking cause I dont see anyone listet for example on EP under notable prospects, nor in various mock drafts for 2024, so who should I look for?

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
If thats the case, then it looked like a classic czech match. Being better but losing lol.

But who exactly from swiss is good in that squad? I am asking cause I dont see anyone listet for example on EP under notable prospects, nor in various mock drafts for 2024, so who should I look for?
Jamiro Reber and Daniil Ustinkov are the "stars" on that team.

If you need more insights: Ivan Hlinka Memorial - Team Switzerland

Reactions: Goodman68

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016

I'm not saying that we had a big game advantage, but more chances yes..

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
From what I saw today, Jiříček was probably our best player. Galvas has a deficit in one-on-one fights and needs to be much better at them.
It's a shame, we had more chances and conceded a very simple decisive goal. But the Swiss have a good team overall.

onhockey.tv
As always..
It's only fitting that crap goal to make it 1:2 would decide the game. How many breakaways did the Czechs have, I counted at least three? Zero finish, goaltender Marik was very good and defense as whole was strong, but forwards didn't show up at all. Some great passing plays that only lead to a dude whiffing completely or sending the weakest shot on net ever. I also don't understand some of the line-up decisions, Jecho as the top line centre and he gets Kubiesa and Chludil as his wingers lol. Kos on the 3rd line, Klima on the 4th? The team has like 5 quality forwards, they should try find the ideal chemistry among those.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
It's only fitting that crap goal to make it 1:2 would decide the game. How many breakaways did the Czechs have, I counted at least three? Zero finish, goaltender Marik was very good and defense as whole was strong, but forwards didn't show up at all. Some great passing plays that only lead to a dude whiffing completely or sending the weakest shot on net ever. I also don't understand some of the line-up decisions, Jecho as the top line centre and he gets Kubiesa and Chludil as his wingers lol. Kos on the 3rd line, Klima on the 4th? The team has like 5 quality forwards, they should try find the ideal chemistry among those.
Yeah it's hilarious to me that they leave Kral at home and then have Jecho play with Kubiesa and Chludil. Yesterday's lines made a lot more sense but I guess these games are played to experiment, so whatever.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
The plague amongst czech coaches lol. Always overthinking everything .. sometimes the best is just simply let the best guys play together

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Half of the team could get drafted if they have a decent draft season. Most would go in the mid to later rounds though. Outstanding age group for Swiss standarts but no real star. If there is one, it's Daniil Ustinkov, probably the lone player with some kind of hope to go in round 1. Also note that though all player on the roster are 06 born, some of the highest profile prospects (Neuenschwander, Giger, Körbler, Mottard) are late birthdays and therefore not eligible for the 2024 draft. A lot can happen until then but I fully expect Neuenschwander to be one of the, if not the top goalie prospects available in 2025. Some scouting services seem pretty high on Kirsch in 2024 but Neuenschwander is actually better than Kirsch.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Yeah it's hilarious to me that they leave Kral at home and then have Jecho play with Kubiesa and Chludil. Yesterday's lines made a lot more sense but I guess these games are played to experiment, so whatever.
The games being still rather irrelevant makes me fine with the line-up decision for the time being. But having seen both games, I don't understand what the expectations are from players like Chludil, Humenik or Sikora. If they were at least some raw rangy 6'2"+ forwards, but those are smallish skill players who are not skilled enough to produce at this level. Pohludka brings some size I guess and I don't mind Kubiesa, even though he made next to no progress over the last two years. But Kral would likely be better than all of them. Still not too late for the coach to realize this, even though it's more likely they are just going to roll with this same squad to the Hlinka as well...

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
The games being still rather irrelevant makes me fine with the line-up decision for the time being. But having seen both games, I don't understand what the expectations are from players like Chludil, Humenik or Sikora. If they were at least some raw rangy 6'2"+ forwards, but those are smallish skill players who are not skilled enough to produce at this level. Pohludka brings some size I guess and I don't mind Kubiesa, even though he made next to no progress over the last two years. But Kral would likely be better than all of them. Still not too late for the coach to realize this, even though it's more likely they are just going to roll with this same squad to the Hlinka as well...
Agreed on everything but I do think Puhludka has been a bit of a surprise so far, at least for me because I didn't really know him. He showed flashes of skating and skill that I didn't expect from a guy who wasn't really a part of the national team last season.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Given the personell that's there, this would probably be my lineup going into the Hlinka:

Kos-Curran-Jecho
Titlbach-Benak-Lisler
Klima-Drancak-Pohludka
Chludil, Humenik, Kubiesa, Sikora

Fibigr-Jiricek
Svozil-Hlinsky
Galvas-Skok/Zielinski

(If they did surprise everyone and recalled Kral for the tournament out of nowhere, I'd have him replace Titlbach and move Titlbach to the third line to make it Titlbach-Drancak-Klima.)

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
It's quite incomprehensible to me. In this average group of forwards, he should definitely be in the lineup. I don't know if there are some behind-the-scenes games going on here, like for example with Petr... It would be logical to exchange a player for him, but I don't really believe that the coaches will have the courage to do so.

Reactions: pgfan66

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Today's match: in the first period, the Swiss were better, more assertive, winning personal battles. From the second period we started to take control of the match, as if the opponents were running out of strength. After the second goal, it was clear that we would win.
To individuals:
Jiříček was the best player again (the goalkeeper slowly had nothing to catch and when they had a chance, the goal post helped us). He is very good backwards and forwards, he skates well, he is strong in one-on-one fights, he has a good pass to his teammates. The other defenders played solidly, but I have a comment about Galvas. I don't know what happened to him. He is not the same player who crossed the entire field several times per game last year before his injury and was clearly the team's best player. This primacy was clearly taken over by Jiříček. He didn't even play in the third period, I don't know if he's injured. Again, he certainly didn't play that badly, I just expected far, far more.
None of the attackers really impressed me. Most probably Kos, who skates well, but is not a player for the first two rounds of the draft. Benák also disappointed. Some forwards had good moments, but I didn't see any high above-average performance there.
Of course, everyone can show up for the HGC, it will be a much more important tournament.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Today's match: in the first period, the Swiss were better, more assertive, winning personal battles. From the second period we started to take control of the match, as if the opponents were running out of strength. After the second goal, it was clear that we would win.
To individuals:
Jiříček was the best player again (the goalkeeper slowly had nothing to catch and when they had a chance, the goal post helped us). He is very good backwards and forwards, he skates well, he is strong in one-on-one fights, he has a good pass to his teammates. The other defenders played solidly, but I have a comment about Galvas. I don't know what happened to him. He is not the same player who crossed the entire field several times per game last year before his injury and was clearly the team's best player. This primacy was clearly taken over by Jiříček. He didn't even play in the third period, I don't know if he's injured. Again, he certainly didn't play that badly, I just expected far, far more.
None of the attackers really impressed me. Most probably Kos, who skates well, but is not a player for the first two rounds of the draft. Benák also disappointed. Some forwards had good moments, but I didn't see any high above-average performance there.
Of course, everyone can show up for the HGC, it will be a much more important tournament.
Hopefully Benak will get better, he is a year younger after all, but he is my locked first rounder for 2025 so that must happen lol

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
To individuals:
I agree Jiricek is clearly the best defenseman on the squad as of now, but I think Galvas has been fine. He just hasn't gotten any stronger, or at least not enough for it to make any difference. He still had some fantastic plays, but gets overpowered easily and he is still not able to make his play count on the scoresheet. He has a whole draft season ahead of him, if he can adress the strenght issue, he will be a riser. If not, he will drop despite his immense talent. With him, I am still not sure whether CHL would be a better option, since junior team of Olomouc will likely be utter crap and if he is struggling physically against Swiss U18 team, I am not sure he will do any better in Extraliga.

According to one of the Czech U18 coaches, it seems like there are two injuries among the defensemen. Might be ready for Hlinka, but might miss it as well. I am going to lose it if Galvas misses another major tournament because of an injury. If both are ready to go (not sure who the other casuality might be), we will likely see this very same squad at Hlinka.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
I agree Jiricek is clearly the best defenseman on the squad as of now, but I think Galvas has been fine. He just hasn't gotten any stronger, or at least not enough for it to make any difference. He still had some fantastic plays, but gets overpowered easily and he is still not able to make his play count on the scoresheet. He has a whole draft season ahead of him, if he can adress the strenght issue, he will be a riser. If not, he will drop despite his immense talent. With him, I am still not sure whether CHL would be a better option, since junior team of Olomouc will likely be utter crap and if he is struggling physically against Swiss U18 team, I am not sure he will do any better in Extraliga.

According to one of the Czech U18 coaches, it seems like there are two injuries among the defensemen. Might be ready for Hlinka, but might miss it as well. I am going to lose it if Galvas misses another major tournament because of an injury. If both are ready to go (not sure who the other casuality might be), we will likely see this very same squad at Hlinka.
It's certainly not that I think he played badly. From what I noticed, he had very good games and at the same time did not spoil the game in any way. However, I have completely different expectations from him based on what I've seen from him before. Unfortunately, as you write, it is very likely that he has a strength deficit, it is clearly visible in personal fights at the moment. In that case, it's really difficult to decide what to do next, the Czech junior (I guess Olomouc was relegated anyway, right?) is not enough for him, even if they let him go elsewhere, which Olomouc won't do anyway. At the same time, the A team will be a big bite for him.
And if someone in the team is injured, it will almost certainly be him, he didn't play the last third, maybe it limited him even before. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he misses another big tournament..
Edit: Yeah, actually the junior league finally expanded..

Last edited:

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
HGC rosters

Brankáři:
Matyáš Mařík
(České Budějovice), Jakub Milota (Třinec).

Obránci:
Adam Jiříček, Jan Skok (oba Plzeň), Tomáš Galvas
(Olomouc), Jakub Fibigr (Vítkovice), Adam Hlinský (Mladá Boleslav), Adam Král (Liberec), Aleš Zielinski (Třinec), David Svozil (Ilves Tampere, Finsko).

Útočníci:
Matěj Kubiesa, Šimon Pohludka, Petr Sikora
(všichni Třinec), Samuel Drančák, Matyáš Humeník (oba České Budějovice), Maxmilián Curran, Danny Chludil (oba Slavia Praha), Adam Benák, Adam Titlbach (oba Plzeň), Jiří Klíma (Hradec Králové), Oskar Lisler (Mladá Boleslav), Adam Jecho (Tappara Tampere, Finsko), Ondřej Kos (Ilves Tampere, Finsko)

Lukáš Král is missing, so unfortunately no surprises, the coaches didn't find the courage..

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
HGC rosters

Brankáři:
Matyáš Mařík
(České Budějovice), Jakub Milota (Třinec).

Obránci:
Adam Jiříček, Jan Skok (oba Plzeň), Tomáš Galvas
(Olomouc), Jakub Fibigr (Vítkovice), Adam Hlinský (Mladá Boleslav), Adam Král (Liberec), Aleš Zielinski (Třinec), David Svozil (Ilves Tampere, Finsko).

Útočníci:
Matěj Kubiesa, Šimon Pohludka, Petr Sikora
(všichni Třinec), Samuel Drančák, Matyáš Humeník (oba České Budějovice), Maxmilián Curran, Danny Chludil (oba Slavia Praha), Adam Benák, Adam Titlbach (oba Plzeň), Jiří Klíma (Hradec Králové), Oskar Lisler (Mladá Boleslav), Adam Jecho (Tappara Tampere, Finsko), Ondřej Kos (Ilves Tampere, Finsko)

Lukáš Král is missing, so unfortunately no surprises, the coaches didn't find the courage..
Looks like a good roster. D looks strong
Goalies look good. Some strong forwards.

Curious if we can make the semis... Will not be easy!

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016

I'm happy for Galvas. I was worried that he would miss another tournament. Keep it up man.
The defense looks above average, he will have to play even more than above average, and he will also have to catch the goalkeeper in a top-notch manner.
A semi-final would be great.

Reactions: Czechboy

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019

I'm happy for Galvas. I was worried that he would miss another tournament. Keep it up man.
The defense looks above average, he will have to play even more than above average, and he will also have to catch the goalkeeper in a top-notch manner.
A semi-final would be great.
What are you guys’s projected lineups and what would be your preferred lineups?

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Well, I have to say that I haven't studied the team in such detail. The line-up also changed in the matches against Switzerland, I rather look at the individuals. It's good if Czech TV broadcasts the matches, I will have a much better overview of who is on the ice and how cooperation works. When it's ordinary streams, it's quite difficult to get an overview of it, you often don't know which player was with the puck.
But what will be the main thing.. If the chemistry between the players works like in the U20 team, the team will play well.. If the coach is as tragic as Petr with his cowardly tactics, nothing will help the team..

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Not many preferences... Jiricek should lead D should in minutes IMO. My only fear is they don't give Benak enough space. I'd like him to be on line 2.

Other than no Kral... I'm happy with the lineup. Looking forward to galvas, jiricek, smoke, svozil, Benak and jecho!

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Shouldn’t be drawing any huge conclusions from the Hlinka let alone three exhibition games vs. Switzerland, but I’m a sucker for early predictions. So here are some final thoughts going into the tournament:

Rising:

Kos – Probably the most consistent forward on the team. Wouldn’t be shocked if I have him ahead of Jecho at the end of the year.

Curran – Looking more and more like a legitimate draft prospect.

Jiricek – I wasn’t as high on him last season as others but playing among his peers he very clearly stands out as a high-end prospect.

Svozil – Just an excellent all-around two-way D with a very clear path to the NHL.

Falling:

Galvas – Still one of the most talented players in terms of upside but man does he have a long way to go.

Jecho – Still waiting for him to really dominate in his age group.

Titlbach – I’ve never been high on him and he again didn’t look great in these 3 games. Not an NHL prospect for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad