Cyberpunk 2077 - New RPG by CD PROJEKT RED

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
With these updates, I wonder what it would of been like if they decided to push the release date off by a full year and only work on PC, PS5 and XSX versions?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
With these updates, I wonder what it would of been like if they decided to push the release date off by a full year and only work on PC, PS5 and XSX versions?

Well, with this particular patch, the changes seem to mostly address player feedback about the gameplay, not performance. For example, cops instantly appearing behind you when you break the law seems like more of a design decision that they thought would add to the fun. Similarly, they were using the car steering for years in their testing and obviously thought that it was good enough to not do anything about it before launch. It wasn't until the internet got their hands on the game and complained about both behaviors that they started working on addressing them, so I imagine that an extra year of closed-door development wouldn't have changed those things much.

If they'd had an extra year, they probably would've just tried to include all of the stuff that they had to cut from the game rather than simply polish their cut-down product. After all, they got into this mess largely by not prioritizing things properly, so I'm skeptical that they would've used an extra year any differently. You could even argue that the game might be better a year from release than it would've been if it had been delayed a year. Releasing something and getting an overwhelming amount of feedback, especially negative, does wonders for helping you learn what your priorities should be. I'm definitely not defending them for releasing it when and in the state that they did, though, mind you.

Last edited:
Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Maybe the game will be closer to their vision whenever the next gen versions come out later this year (I doubt very much that they will come out this year)
I don't think any amount of patching will get them close to the vision they promised to execute at E3. Best you can hope for is that they'll learn from the limitations they encountered this time around and figure how to get closer to their vision in a sequel. They took way too much of a hatchet job to the mechanics and features they promised and/or showed off.

Like I get it. The game is massive and it takes a lot of power to make everything function. But they shouldn't have promised everything they did if they weren't damn sure they could execute. At this point, to patch in everything that's missing from their vision, it would be a functionally different game and unlikely to run given the framework they have set with the game as is.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I bought the game recently and I find it odd somehow. It feels like I'm not really enjoying it like I had hoped, but I also have played it about 20 hours over the last week, far more than I've done on any game in a long time.

I don't know how to describe it. I'm slightly disappointed that they didn't do a lot of basic things that a GTA has done (mainly around cars, properties, and clothing) but I also enjoy the combat and main missions. The city is intricate but still feels dull somehow. I'm hoping some adjustments to driving will make driving around easier.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I bought the game recently and I find it odd somehow. It feels like I'm not really enjoying it like I had hoped, but I also have played it about 20 hours over the last week, far more than I've done on any game in a long time.

I don't know how to describe it. I'm slightly disappointed that they didn't do a lot of basic things that a GTA has done (mainly around cars, properties, and clothing) but I also enjoy the combat and main missions. The city is intricate but still feels dull somehow. I'm hoping some adjustments to driving will make driving around easier.

If you don't think about it, its an enjoyable game. Skill trees give you enough variety where you can make tons of different builds. Actual combat gameplay is smooth, etc.

The deeper you think about it however, the more it becomes apparent the game is pretty hollow and screams unfulfilled potential.

I had a similar realization when someone asked me what I liked about it and the best I can do was shrug lol.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
If you don't think about it, its an enjoyable game. Skill trees give you enough variety where you can make tons of different builds. Actual combat gameplay is smooth, etc.

The deeper you think about it however, the more it becomes apparent the game is pretty hollow and screams unfulfilled potential.

I had a similar realization when someone asked me what I liked about it and the best I can do was shrug lol.
I can't get the highlight to work right on my phone but that second paragraph is exactly what I was trying to express. I'm enjoying it for what it is, but when I think about it I'm disappointed by what it isn't.

Hell, I've even found myself reading the lines and skipping the cutscene animations on occasion, and that is not the kind of gamer I normally am. Very odd but I'm still having fun with it.

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I have to say I expected this game to buggy but man is this game buggy. Distant LOD models staying on cars and characters even when youre a foot in front of them, facial animations not loading when a character is speaking (usually only lasts until you select your next dialogue option), some serious dialogue glitches where characters talk over eachother, and some serious stutters (although pretty infrequent, only every 10 minutes or so).Its possible some of this is caused by playing off of a hard drive instead of SSD but still.

This is still playable to me and I'm liking the game, but yeah would not recommend it to others. Ive seriously never seen a game this buggy.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I have to say I expected this game to buggy but man is this game buggy. Distant LOD models staying on cars and characters even when youre a foot in front of them, facial animations not loading when a character is speaking (usually only lasts until you select your next dialogue option), some serious dialogue glitches where characters talk over eachother, and some serious stutters (although pretty infrequent, only every 10 minutes or so).Its possible some of this is caused by playing off of a hard drive instead of SSD but still.

This is still playable to me and I'm liking the game, but yeah would not recommend it to others. Ive seriously never seen a game this buggy.

I haven't played v1.2 yet, but I read this article earlier today:

If you were waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 to be fixed before playing it… keep waiting | PC Gamer

It's specifically about the PC version, but most of what it mentions are just gameplay bugs that likely affect all systems.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Not playing the game until the next gen update arrives.

I just launched this game again after not playing it in a while, and man does the game look terrible during the day compared to Witcher 3. All of the visual candy in Cyberpunk 2077 comes from using RTX when it's nighttime in the game, but during the day, the game it looks like a PS4 version of GTAV--this is playing 1440p with RT Ultra and everything high/max on a RTX 3070

I don't think this game is going to match the expectations CDPR set out in its marketing campaign for a few more years, at least. It's very far away from being the game that was promised in marketing material and it's still buggy after the 1.2 update

I'm glad I played and beat this game before playing Witcher 3, otherwise I would've been really annoyed at having paid full price for Cyberpunk 2077

On a side, note, I thought I hadn't reached level 50, but turns out I did that as well, so I won't be playing this game again until they release some DLCs and a proper update to fix all the visual and gameplay bugs

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just launched this game again after not playing it in a while, and man does the game look terrible during the day compared to Witcher 3. All of the visual candy in Cyberpunk 2077 comes from using RTX when it's nighttime in the game, but during the day, the game it looks like a PS4 version of GTAV--this is playing 1440p with RT Ultra and everything high/max on a RTX 3070

To be fair, it is called Night City and not Day City. ;)

Kidding aside, I agree that it's not as visually impressive as you'd expect it to be for the performance. It runs with nearly half the framerate of any other game, yet doesn't look nearly twice as good.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I've played all of them, I think...which one compares to the state Cyberpunk is/has been in?

Its compared to the Witcher 3 when it launched (which no one here has played at launch). It was just as bad as Cyberpunk is now. However they turned it around and made it a Game of the Year before too long. Today with the Netflix series making it popular again, it’s getting a next Gen upgrade.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Its compared to the Witcher 3 when it launched (which no one here has played at launch). It was just as bad as Cyberpunk is now. However they turned it around and made it a Game of the Year before too long. Today with the Netflix series making it popular again, it’s getting a next Gen upgrade.

I actually wondered if Witcher 3 had as much trouble at launch as Cyberpunk and, at least according to this article, it did have significant issues: Comparing Cyberpunk 2077's Launch to The Witcher 3's | Game Rant

Going by the Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077 will be great once they get to the point of releasing a Deluxe Edition

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
My not at all extensive review of Cyberpunk
Cyberpunk 2077

Man I love this game. Though I beat it I'm far from done with it. The main thing that it does so right is that it gets rid of stupid fetch quests or the "A to B back to A back to B to C back to A" that so many games (even Witcher 3) have to pad length. Maybe thats why I hate Death Stranding, since fetch quests are literally the entire game, lol. In this game, you start the quest and if the quest needs to change locations for story reasons there is always a button to just skip to the next location. If theres dialogue during a car ride 90% of the time you're the passenger and can listen, and once its done you can skip to the location. Theres no filler to the quests. Tons of interesting stuff to do.

The combat is great imo, but once you get a decent sniper rifle (and you use KB+M) its completely OP. One shot kills for everybody.

Graphics are great, played this on a GTX 1080 at 1080p ultra settings around 40 fps. Would've like 60 but it wasn't happening even at medium settings.

As for bugs. There was a lot of them. Some were really bad but the most annoying was textures and models would constantly take forever to load in. This is likely cause I was playing it off a HDD but thats no excuse. No other game has streaming issues that bad and Cyberpunk doesn't look that much better than other games (despite the lighting being extremely impressive at times).

This might be a spoiler but what surprised me is that I thought Keanu was a side character or cameo in the game or at best have a Kiefer Sutherland as Snake role with hardly any dialogue. No, hes essentially the main character. Hes in 95% of the game with full dialogue.

I also wanted to add a criticism, theres a lot of branching paths in questlines, but a lot of the branching is just skipping content. For example doing stealth in riders on the storm makes the mission way worse. In fact stealth in general makes the game worse but thats besides the point.In the quest Riders on the storm. If you stealth your way into the facility to rescue Saul, you can just leave through the backdoor and the awesome chase sequence (that the mission is literally named for) never happens. You just bounce and the mission ends in 1 minute. Another one is that its actually possible to rescue your boy Takemura despite there being no indication in the quest log. The one good branching path is the voodoo boys questline.

And while I praised the lack of fetch quests or trailing missions, I have to say there is a lot of following NPCs and listening to their dialogue. With that said, I didn't think it was too overbearing and its usually a very short walk to another room or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad