Cyberpunk 2077 - New RPG by CD PROJEKT RED

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I finally got an NVME SSD for this game, the LOD bugs are what finally convinced me I needed to bite the bullet. If you're not familiar with it, playing Cyberpunk 2077 on a hard drive causes distant LOD models to be extremely slow to swap out as well as lots of stuttering. This video has many examples of it:

It actually did fix the problem however the Distant LODs are still super visible even on ultra settings at 1080p. You can see them drawn in at medium distance now instead of right in front of your face. So I guess thats better.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
What’s the current state of this game on PC? Worth picking up for $60 on Steam or wait it out?
Its actually gotten super frequent discounts since release. I got it like 30% off in march, Id get it at that price if you can. Value is really subjective, but imo its a good game. Will it ever live up to the hype? Zero chance. But its in a completely playable state on PC and has been for a while. You'll encounter bugs, but nothing gamebreaking.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
What’s the current state of this game on PC? Worth picking up for $60 on Steam or wait it out?

Honestly, if you know what not to expect (i.e. not at all what was promised in the pre-launch marketing materials), yes. It's a pretty darn good game marred with some technical issues (vastly improved since launch). It's not the revolutionary game it was touted as, but pretty good.

I played it near launch and really enjoyed it, but I also didn't know what they had promised and failed to deliver on....

As others have said, though, it does go on sale fairly often.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The game is very playable right now. It’s not as bad as it was a launch.

I stopped playing it a few weeks after launch around 70% of the story due to more and more frequent bugs. Tried it this weekend and the game clearly performs much, much better than it did. I'll let the devs fix and add more before continuing though.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Also I feel like theres some kind of glitch where film grain isn't turning off. Either that or the anti-aliasing is so bad its causing noise on the screen.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...VArbICh1v2wMkEAQYASABEgKllfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can buy the game for $10.

Maybe i'll buy it now and just let it sit on the sidelines till that next gen upgrade comes out..

edit - f*** it, just bought it. For $10 it's basically a steal. One day it will be more than worth it when they have a working product for the next gen.

Edit - Oh wow, it's back up to $40. Guess I lucked out,

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I got the refund with the intention of buying it again later...but I honestly don't think I will. Just isn't the game they promised it was going to be in the promo's and even patched it just doesn't/won't do anything for me.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I got the refund with the intention of buying it again later...but I honestly don't think I will. Just isn't the game they promised it was going to be in the promo's and even patched it just doesn't/won't do anything for me.

FYI they released the Witcher 3 under similar circumstances, worked on it and it became game of the year.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I got the game for around 35 CAD at launch by using a VPN on GOG.com. It's well worth it at that price or cheaper, especially if you have a machine capable of running it with ray tracing enabled.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
FYI they released the Witcher 3 under similar circumstances, worked on it and it became game of the year.
The Witcher 3 was not released on consoles that will never be powerful enough to run it like Cyberpunk did on PS4 and Xbox One. I refuse to support this game on the principle that they knew that those versions were broken beyond repair yet still released them because the preorder money was just too good to pass up.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The thing is, even on PC at ultra settings Cyberpunk really does not look that good. Certainly not mindblowingly better than most current gen games. Maybe the scale of the city with the number of pedestrians and cars is sort of the difference, but for pure visuals it's nothing groundbreaking for the level of performance you get.

Like Gears 5 for example I realize it's not an open world game but at max settings I get around 90-100 fps vs 45 fps in cyberpunk and imo gears 5 looks significantly better.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I gotta say HF Geek Emporium posters - shame on you. I don't post in this section very often, but a year ago I was on here reading a bit and got caught up in all of the hype of excitement of this game, and I bought it the day it came out at full price (I may never have bought a game on day 1 at full price before).

I played it on my playstation - performance wasn't ever really an issue for me either, as I got a PS5. There were a few glitches here and there that were annoying, but for the most part nothing that really bothered me.

But the game was just......not very good nor fun? I played it for a few weeks, more out of a duty thinking "ok, this is a great game, everyone says so, figure out a way to have fun and enjoy it". It wasn't horrible or anything, I just didn't like it a lot.

I think the single biggest issue I had with it by FAR - is the first person view. I absolutely hated it. I loved the Witcher 3 - I can't imagine how bad it would be in 1st person view. or GTa5. I think that alone destroyed most of it for me. And I get that's more on me, for not thinking about it ahead of time, since it's not like it was a surprise it was 1st person view - but I still hated it.

Outside of that, I was extremely disappointed by interactions in the city. It's true that unlike a game like GTA5, there's so many more buildings and places you can go to which is cool - but interacting with actual random passer bys in the street is pretty much non-existant. That would have made the game a thousand times better, if you can actually have fun interactions with people in the streets, and if there were more people (or vehicles).

Overall, it was very disappointing.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I gotta say HF Geek Emporium posters - shame on you. I don't post in this section very often, but a year ago I was on here reading a bit and got caught up in all of the hype of excitement of this game, and I bought it the day it came out at full price (I may never have bought a game on day 1 at full price before).

We are very sorry.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017

I played it on my playstation - performance wasn't ever really an issue for me either, as I got a PS5. There were a few glitches here and there that were annoying, but for the most part nothing that really bothered me.

But the game was just......not very good nor fun? I played it for a few weeks, more out of a duty thinking "ok, this is a great game, everyone says so, figure out a way to have fun and enjoy it". It wasn't horrible or anything, I just didn't like it a lot.

I think the single biggest issue I had with it by FAR - is the first person view. I absolutely hated it. I loved the Witcher 3 - I can't imagine how bad it would be in 1st person view. or GTa5. I think that alone destroyed most of it for me. And I get that's more on me, for not thinking about it ahead of time, since it's not like it was a surprise it was 1st person view - but I still hated it.

Outside of that, I was extremely disappointed by interactions in the city. It's true that unlike a game like GTA5, there's so many more buildings and places you can go to which is cool - but interacting with actual random passer bys in the street is pretty much non-existant. That would have made the game a thousand times better, if you can actually have fun interactions with people in the streets, and if there were more people (or vehicles).

Overall, it was very disappointing.

The problem is you bought a super over hyped game that was made by a company that doesn't really have the track record other than one game. People bought into this game thinking they'll deliver based on their Witcher 3 performance. Companies that reach such heights and set the bar high usually have a hard time matching that kind of success without enough development time.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't know why anyone would preorder a game, or buy it on day 1 instead of just waiting even just a couple days for reviews.
Even if you care about pre-order bonuses, most big titles are reviewed in time to order it the day before and still get those if you care. I don't. I've bought a ton of games day one. Normally after checking reviews.

The real issue here though is how unethical CDPR was only letting reviewers review the PC version. Which led to great reviews when it was completely broken for 8th generation consoles. That showed to me more than anything this was much worse than an honest mistake and a direct attempt to mislead consumers. I doubt it will happen, but any major video game outlet should now refuse to review a multi-platform game if they specify you can only review it on one system.

Reactions: SpoolCat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad