cya clarky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
So you're telling me we would have gotten just 3rd round picks for Clakson at the trade deadline this year?!? Really???

That's crazy. Iginla and Jagr got 1st round picks +. Clowe who had either no goals at all or one goal got a 2nd round pick in return. Douglas Murray fetched two 2nds. If we traded Clarkson the return would have been a 1st round pick and a good prospect (at the least).

Semak

Perhaps, then people would have complained about trading our leading scorer from a team who couldn't score and Kovy hurt. You can't win.

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
Kinda reminds me of Rafalski situation. Both parties want to come to an agreement, but the player knows he can make bank in FA or re-sign for much less.

Don't blame him or Lou either way. I just hope he goes to a contender and makes it not just about the money.

MrLouniverse

frontline internet hero
Sep 19, 2012
(Las) Vegas
I've always liked Clarkie, even before he started chipping pucks in, but at 4 M+ he's definitely replaceable, one way or another; his agent is also a ******. You'll be missed, but not gonna lose any sleep over it.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I can't believe the numbers being thrown around... 6 mil plus....

Let me ask you all this... Given the choice of the team spending 8 mil per year on Briere AND Stalberg OR 6 mil per year on just Clarkson... what do you choose?

Semak

I can't believe the numbers being thrown around... 6 mil plus....

Let me ask you all this... Given the choice of the team spending 8 mil per year on Briere AND Stalberg OR 6 mil per year on just Clarkson... what do you choose?

The physical challenge.

You make a good point, two instead of one but 8mil for those two would be a bit steep.

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
That's crazy. Iginla and Jagr got 1st round picks +. Clowe who had either no goals at all or one goal got a 2nd round pick in return. Douglas Murray fetched two 2nds. If we traded Clarkson the return would have been a 1st round pick and a good prospect (at the least).

EXACTLY...THAT WAS MY POINT!!!

The Lou way of thinking has got to change. He "had" to have known that Clarkson was going to test the market for max cash.

He needs to finalize contracts mid season & not after. That way, if a player doesn't sign, TRADE HIM AWAY!!!

I remember what my retail manager told me 25+ years ago when I was in that industry.

He said that if they offer you an opportunity to stay & grow with them & you refuse...you better start looking for your next job as they feel they're now wasting time on someone who is not loyal or motivated & will either cut your hours or just lay you off.

Ironically, after I left, a few of the friends I did make there, who did not elect to take promotions or transfers to other locations offered to them were in fact, let go of within 1 month of their refusal.

Hence, this is something Lou needs to start doing. Make the contract offer MID-SEASON & if they choose not to sign, BYE BYE!!! Thanks for the memories!!!

And no more NTC...PERIOD!!!

Semak

It may be too much. Stalberg is making under a million so it may even be less than 8 for the two.

But your point is still well taken. He's just not worth anything over 4.5. Absurd to me if ends up making more than Zajac or even Patty at his advanced age for that matter.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
And why is that???

Can't be that bad considering how long you've been here & actually moderated it?!?

Because this thread - like many here - devolves into the complete abyss of terrible streams of thoughts.

If Clarkson leaves:
And we don't trade Clarkson and/or his rights, people criticize Lou for bad asset managment.
People criticize Lou for not locking him up early.

If Clarkson stays:
Why wasn't he signed earlier?
Why was he signed for so much?

And either way in a year, or 3, or 5 you'll see the "what-if" machine back at it with the benefit of perfect hindsight.

Lou is among the greatest GMs in the history of sports. And yet he's vilified here for not being like everyone else. It's hypocritical at best, idiocy at worst.

----
Off topic: Yes, I moderate it, but yet half of the time when I offer ACTUAL insight into the way the office is, the locker room is, etc. from personal sources, I'm frequently told that I'm wrong. And I often say things that people here have to read between the lines about and I get completely ignored by the masses. It's a joke a lot of the time.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
But your point is still well taken. He's just not worth anything over 4.5. Absurd to me if ends up making more than Zajac or even Patty at his advanced age for that matter.

I'll copy and paste what I posted in the main board.... it shows why you don't have to look any further than our very own Dainius Zubrus to figure out why this whole Clarkson thing is absolutely ludicrous.

His streaky play is what kills it for me. There is such a monumental different between good Clarkson and bad Clarkson. He was on fire in the beginning of last season and we were all thrilled with him... but then he went through a slump of I think 1 goal in 20 games. This tends to happen with him and he can look REALLY bad. I would honestly put a price tag of 3.25 on him.

He is also not a huge playoff performer with 5 goals in 44 playoff games in the NHL. His point totals in the NHL are 4, 22, 32, 24 (missed 36 games), 18, 46, and 24.

As a comparison, here's Dainius Zubrus' point totals in the last 7 years: 60, 38, 40, 27 (missed 31 games), 30, 44, 9 (shortened season and injury)

Clarkson is a right winger only. Has not been able to stick on the top two lines because of his lack of actual offensive talent and skating ability.... he cannot penalty kill, he plays on the 1st PP unit.

Zubrus has played left wing, center, and right wing for the Devils on the first, second, and third lines. He plays regularly on the power play and the penalty kill.

Signed a six year deal for 3.4 per with NJ and just re-upped for three more at 3.1.

So someone PLEASE explain to me how we Devil fans are just displaying "sour grapes" and someone make a case explaining how Clarkson is even worth 4 mil let alone SIX!

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I'll copy and paste what I posted in the main board.... it shows why you don't have to look any further than our very own Dainius Zubrus to figure out why this whole Clarkson thing is absolutely ludicrous.

His streaky play is what kills it for me. There is such a monumental different between good Clarkson and bad Clarkson. He was on fire in the beginning of last season and we were all thrilled with him... but then he went through a slump of I think 1 goal in 20 games. This tends to happen with him and he can look REALLY bad. I would honestly put a price tag of 3.25 on him.

He is also not a huge playoff performer with 5 goals in 44 playoff games in the NHL. His point totals in the NHL are 4, 22, 32, 24 (missed 36 games), 18, 46, and 24.

As a comparison, here's Dainius Zubrus' point totals in the last 7 years: 60, 38, 40, 27 (missed 31 games), 30, 44, 9 (shortened season and injury)

Clarkson is a right winger only. Has not been able to stick on the top two lines because of his lack of actual offensive talent and skating ability.... he cannot penalty kill, he plays on the 1st PP unit.

Zubrus has played left wing, center, and right wing for the Devils on the first, second, and third lines. He plays regularly on the power play and the penalty kill.

Signed a six year deal for 3.4 per with NJ and just re-upped for three more at 3.1.

So someone PLEASE explain to me how we Devil fans are just displaying "sour grapes" and someone make a case explaining how Clarkson is even worth 4 mil let alone SIX!

We're not - we're seeing it for what it is. Some want to cherry pick facts, squint their eyes to blur the comparisons, then imagine a perfect scenario where something could have been done before it got to this that would have prevented the fact all GMs and fans have to take a little pain now and again when it comes to free agency.

(see post above yours for the why)

Pessimists; just pretend you're a Calgary fan the last 4 years and Lou won't seem so bad.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
We're not - we're seeing it for what it is. Some want to cherry pick facts, squint their eyes to blur the comparisons, then imagine a perfect scenario where something could have been done before it got to this that would have prevented the fact all GMs and fans have to take a little pain now and again when it comes to free agency.

(see post above yours for the why)

Pessimists; just pretend you're a Calgary fan the last 4 years and Lou won't seem so bad.

Well I just copied that from the main board so I'm not really looking for a Devils fan to convince me why Clarkson is so valuable because we know better.

Another problem is that Lou needs to use compliance buyouts on Hedberg and one of Volchenkov/Tallinder otherwise the cap is going to become an issue if Clarkson is retained.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I don't get the Lou hate. We were in contention for a good amount of time. Tough for Lou to just give up on the team.

Granted I would have traded Clarkson, but only because I generally believe he's an awful hockey player and I think you trade over-performing, awful hockey players at their peak.

I don't knock Lou for not trading him though. String of sellouts and the standings are good enough for me to excuse Lou.

Hell those Cups have bought that man the longest leash in the world in my eyes.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
Because this thread - like many here - devolves into the complete abyss of terrible streams of thoughts.

If Clarkson leaves:
And we don't trade Clarkson and/or his rights, people criticize Lou for bad asset managment.
People criticize Lou for not locking him up early.

If Clarkson stays:
Why wasn't he signed earlier?
Why was he signed for so much?

And either way in a year, or 3, or 5 you'll see the "what-if" machine back at it with the benefit of perfect hindsight.

Lou is among the greatest GMs in the history of sports. And yet he's vilified here for not being like everyone else. It's hypocritical at best, idiocy at worst.

----
Off topic: Yes, I moderate it, but yet half of the time when I offer ACTUAL insight into the way the office is, the locker room is, etc. from personal sources, I'm frequently told that I'm wrong. And I often say things that people here have to read between the lines about and I get completely ignored by the masses. It's a joke a lot of the time.

I see what you are saying and in general you are right. Lou's in a no win situation. However the other poster is correct. There has to be a change in negotiating strategy. There are too many high level UFA's leaving. Lou should have some indication of what their intentions are and if he doesn't then shame on him. That's his job. As for him being one of the greatest GM's ever, he had a HOF run the first half but the last 10 years or so are very shaky and to be honest if he didn't have the run he probably should have been fired.

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
I do not hate Lou. What I do hate is every year is the Devils having a player or two, whom of which, become ungrateful for their development from the Devils organization & think outside of the organization & only about what's best for themselves & not the team. And in all honestly, that's fine. However...

The way to find out this fact out is to HAMMER OUT THEIR CONTRACT BEFORE IT EXPIRES at the end of the season to see where they stand. If they sign, great! Should they later asked to be traded, fine! At least they'll know what they're dealing with as a contract.

But to give the player the power to stalemate the team & hold it hostage till they get what they want, or bolt if they don't...that's dumb!!!

Lou has done this w-a-y too many times & it needs to stop as we give away too many opportunities for draft picks, prospects & needed veterans at trade deadlines or during the draft.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I see what you are saying and in general you are right. Lou's in a no win situation. However the other poster is correct. There has to be a change in negotiating strategy. There are too many high level UFA's leaving. Lou should have some indication of what their intentions are and if he doesn't then shame on him. That's his job. As for him being one of the greatest GM's ever, he had a HOF run the first half but the last 10 years or so are very shaky and to be honest if he didn't have the run he probably should have been fired.

Why does he have to change his strategy? Short of Parise, who has he lost? And who's to say that even trying to retain his services a year, 2 years in advance is worth it? Especially coming off an injury?

Who else have we lost to free agency that was such an issue? Scott Gomez? Who had a website dedicated to asking if he had scored a goal and was the ****ing laughing stock of the NHL fans for years? Scotty Nieds, who left to play with his brother? How was that going to change? Rafalski, who that one I can agree with to some extent, but he also went 'home'. When and how has Lou's strategy to re-signing players truly hampered this team?

I do not hate Lou. What I do hate is every year is the Devils having a player or two, whom of which, become ungrateful for their development from the Devils organization & think outside of the organization & only about what's best for themselves & not the team. And in all honestly, that's fine. However...

The way to find out this fact out is to HAMMER OUT THEIR CONTRACT BEFORE IT EXPIRES at the end of the season to see where they stand. If they sign, great! Should they later asked to be traded, fine! At least they'll know what they're dealing with as a contract.

But to give the player the power to stalemate the team & hold it hostage till they get what they want, or bolt if they don't...that's dumb!!!

Lou has done this w-a-y too many times & it needs to stop as we give away too many opportunities for draft picks, prospects & needed veterans at trade deadlines or during the draft.

It also works the other way, Lou makes them see what they're really worth and how many teams *don't* want their services. This is a double edged sword, to say the least. And see the above - exactly in what quantifiable way has he hurt the team with his current strategy? You'd be happier with a 3rd Round Pick with a 1-in-1000 chance we might get something worth it in exchange for Clarkson's rights? What about if we re-sign Clarkson, as could still happen?

Think about the bigger picture here, this is a joke. You want a Sather or Holmgren as a GM? Look where that gets teams.

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
Had Lou done this with Clarkson & David said he didn't want to discuss his future as a Devils Player because he wanted to explore other options, don't tell me for 1 minute the Nucks would have traded CS for Clarktard before the deadline to have during the playoffs? Or some other team like Toronto giving up their 1st & 3rd round picks this year?

Theoretically, (and keep that in mind) it was quite possible that deal could have happened & we'd have the draft picks for both; Nish & maybe even Zadorov.

Just food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad