cya clarky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Clarkson is the most well-rounded player on the team; possibly in the league. We will MISS HIM. I hope you haterz are HAPPY when he leaves.

I like Clarkson but it was one of the most maddening inconsistent Devils to ever take the ice, he also reminds me of Guerin where he would make a lot nice moves with the puck only to give it up, another maddening trait.

But yeah he will be missed.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Some one has to explain the anti Clarkson sentiment. I don't get it myself. Typically hard working guys who drop the gloves and develop a scoring touch are loved by their fan base. I understand not wanting to overpay him, or any player, but this all goes beyond that.

Here's the truth on Clarkson. He's the kind of player the Devils (or at least Devils fans) love to have. He plays hard, he plays physical, he has an occasionally ability to put in some notable goals, and he provides energy. Those are all awesome things. And the fact that he scores a good amount of goals makes it even better (even if he doesn't exactly rack up assists, or put up high point totals). The problem is that this is the prototypical guy that is awesome on our 3rd line, acceptable on the 2nd (with skilled enough linemates), and worrisome on the 1st line. This isn't a knock on him. This is a knock on having a roster where those are the spots he slots into. No one is going to bash him for any of that. The problem is solely that he wants to get paid for a role we can't afford to play him in. Fans, albeit for little justifiable reason, are going to turn on him for that, even though its totally his right and totally fair for him to try to do so. Once you're trying to turn on him, you gotta find a way to justify the hate. Hence the anti-Clarkson attitude you're seeing here.

Summary: he's a solid player. one we would all love to have on this team. Just not for the salary/role he is going to command. To justify letting him go, people try to point out his flaws as if he's not worth a roster spot when he's really just not worth his impending pay day.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Here's the truth on Clarkson. He's the kind of player the Devils (or at least Devils fans) love to have. He plays hard, he plays physical, he has an occasionally ability to put in some notable goals, and he provides energy. Those are all awesome things. And the fact that he scores a good amount of goals makes it even better (even if he doesn't exactly rack up assists, or put up high point totals). The problem is that this is the prototypical guy that is awesome on our 3rd line, acceptable on the 2nd (with skilled enough linemates), and worrisome on the 1st line. This isn't a knock on him. This is a knock on having a roster where those are the spots he slots into. No one is going to bash him for any of that. The problem is solely that he wants to get paid for a role we can't afford to play him in. Fans, albeit for little justifiable reason, are going to turn on him for that, even though its totally his right and totally fair for him to try to do so. Once you're trying to turn on him, you gotta find a way to justify the hate. Hence the anti-Clarkson attitude you're seeing here.

Summary: he's a solid player. one we would all love to have on this team. Just not for the salary/role he is going to command. To justify letting him go, people try to point out his flaws as if he's not worth a roster spot when he's really just not worth his impending pay day.

Clarky didn't get enough credit on here but he's going to get overpaid to go home. No sense competing with that if you're Lou.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Clarky didn't get enough credit on here but he's going to get overpaid to go home. No sense competing with that if you're Lou.

That's exactly the issue. He's the kind of player that most of us WANT to have, and greatly appreciate while they're here. But when you can't afford to pay him for something he's not, its best not to get caught up in the bidding war.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Bottom line on Clarkson: He's a player that Devils fans love to have. Like I said before last season, he's probably one of if not the best third liner in the NHL. He does his job extremely well and he's a guy that would be a huge role player for any team.

With that being said, he's not worth $6m a year. He's not a skill player and he really doesn't make those around him better. He's not going to carry your team on his back, and he's not going to be a go-to guy with the game on the line. And for every great play that he makes, he will make an equally dumb play.

He's worth every penny of $4.5 to potentially $5m. Once you get to $5m and above, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. He's not a first line player, and he's questionable as a second line player.

NJD Kula

THE SPITFIRES LINE
Jan 16, 2009
По&#1082
www.rshl.org
cap is too low this season i wonder if clarkson will sign for a year somewhere with a promise of top line mins to boost his value for next offseason and then sign long term when cap opens up

he's definitely not worth much money this year and he'll handcuff whatever team (toronto) decides to waste precious cap on a 3rd liner

give me matteau for 925k on the 3rd line kthxbye

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I really Clarkie as a person, he's been great in NJ with the fans and especially with doing a lot of charity for the community and his foundation, he deserves a lot of credit. He's been real respectful of his coaches and Lou too. He's a great character, I don't know how anyone can hate the guy.

Like others said he's been maddening to watch at times with his wild inconsistency. His scoring touch the last few years was great but he would get away from his game and go dormant for weeks. He never passes no matter the situation and his antics with the refs is pretty annoying. He's the perfect 3rd liner for this team but expecting him to perform on the 2nd line against tougher competition was too much. I'd love to keep him but doesn't look like it will happen.

What put people off is the ridiculous money he wants reportedly.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I really Clarkie as a person, he's been great in NJ with the fans and especially with doing a lot of charity for the community and his foundation, he deserves a lot of credit. He's been real respectful of his coaches and Lou too. He's a great character, I don't know how anyone can hate the guy.

Like others said he's been maddening to watch at times with his wild inconsistency. His scoring touch the last few years was great but he would get away from his game and go dormant for weeks. He never passes no matter the situation and his antics with the refs is pretty annoying. He's the perfect 3rd liner for this team but expecting him to perform on the 2nd line against tougher competition was too much. I'd love to keep him but doesn't look like it will happen.

What put people off is the ridiculous money he wants reportedly.

Yeah I agree with this completely. I like the guy, and he hasn't been quite as vocal about wanting to stay like you know who was.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I do feel bad for him if he does go to Toronto for that crazy money. He will never live up to that contract, and they will turn on him REALLY fast up there.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I do feel bad for him if he does go to Toronto for that crazy money. He will never live up to that contract, and they will turn on him REALLY fast up there.

I predict that he's bought out before the contract ends, especially the longer the contract is. If he does in fact get that money too. If not then maybe he does survive there.

I think for big money, and a long term he'll be either bought out, or traded with salary coming back. The buyout would also obviously be after the amnesties are over.

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
my friends got me a Clarkie Autograph for my bday in June. I didn't have the heart to tell them he'd be gone.

I'm still happy to have it. I'll root for him (most of the time next year).

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
If his agent demands anything over 4 I'd hang up the phone immediately. Clarkson is not and never ever will be worth anything close to that.

He doesn't make players around him look better, he has no passing or skating skills, and he doesn't even fight that much anymore for a "gritty" player. There are better options in UFA if he wants to try and penny pinch with Lou.

Here's the rub; I'm sure Lou offered a deal like 6 years for $28 Million. Yet, when this is all over, Clarkson will get a 6 year, $34 Million deal just because some teams are just plain idiots!

What gets to me is every year Lou lets a player walk, knowing that they sure as hell will test the market & most likely, not sign here. And in the end, we get nothing for that player.

This to me is Lou's greatest flaw. I can't fathom how many trade picks, prospects or veterans in a time of need we could have landed making a trade. :shakehead

NJDevilsZG

I'll drive team bus
Nov 3, 2010
Zagreb, Croatia
So in other words, you would prefer it if Lou decided to be a seller on a trade-deadline, instead of preparing for playoffs (which he does most of the time), and got us some more "shinny" 2-3-4 round picks and prospects.
Hell yeah, sing me up for that :shakehead :shakehead

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
We usually compete at the deadline. So nothing's really coming back there. The guys who end up leaving are usually key pieces to our competitiveness.

I guess trading the rights to negotiate would get us a few 3rd rounders.

What kind of baffles me is when you hear stories about how this or that player hasn't even received an offer and we're only a few days from the start of free agency. You'd think Lou would want to maximize his negotiating window.

Then again, the players, agents and management could be lying to us, via the media.

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
So in other words, you would prefer it if Lou decided to be a seller on a trade-deadline, instead of preparing for playoffs (which he does most of the time), and got us some more "shinny" 2-3-4 round picks and prospects.
Hell yeah, sing me up for that :shakehead :shakehead

Based on where we stood this year at the deadline & how we were playing, coupled with "knowing" Clarky wants the $$$ & not to stay...yeah..THAT'S RIGHT!!!

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
We usually compete at the deadline. So nothing's really coming back there. The guys who end up leaving are usually key pieces to our competitiveness.

I guess trading the rights to negotiate would get us a few 3rd rounders.

What kind of baffles me is when you hear stories about how this or that player hasn't even received an offer and we're only a few days from the start of free agency. You'd think Lou would want to maximize his negotiating window.

Then again, the players, agents and management could be lying to us, via the media.

So you're telling me we would have gotten just 3rd round picks for Clakson at the trade deadline this year?!? Really???

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
If he wants out, let him.

I don't want any player who doesn't want to wear the red and black. The guy probably doesn't even make it to the NHL without Lou and his Devils. So yeah, screw you too Clarktard!

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
We all know David is a great person, first class in every manner off the ice.
He always played 100% with us too.

I don't think he's a good fit any longer here and I wish him luck in the open market and hopes he gets a huge payday.

I thank him for his efforts as a Devil.

I think this will also free up money that Lou can utilize for a better scoring forward.

It will all work out.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
So you're telling me we would have gotten just 3rd round picks for Clakson at the trade deadline this year?!? Really???

We would have gotten a good prospect and a 2nd round pick at the least if we had traded him at the deadline.

We were clearly a sinking ship at that time with little chance at the playoffs.
Could not win any games in regulation and scoring was a foreign concept.

Lou should have traded David and Zids at the deadline, it would have improved the overall health & future of the franchise.

But no reason to cry over spilled milk at this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad