CXLIV - The Tempe era set to begin as ASU opens Mullett Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That's a red herring. The Suns already did their renovation. As far as the Dbacks go I don't know if they could have put a deal together that fast given the short timeline. The fact of the matter is they could have had an RFP that allowed for a wider range of proposals but they structured it so that only the Coyotes could "win"

No more a red herring than you continually pining about the RFP process.

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018

The fact that someone did this is petty and stupid. I'm assuming that either Goodwill or something nearby had cameras so they may be able to see who did it. But is the bigger story here that the commissioner of the NHL was going to do a press conference for the Coyotes at a Goodwill? I understand they are a big partner of the Coyotes but the optics of that would have just been awful.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
The fact that someone did this is petty and stupid. I'm assuming that either Goodwill or something nearby had cameras so they may be able to see who did it. But is the bigger story here that the commissioner of the NHL was going to do a press conference for the Coyotes at a Goodwill? I understand they are a big partner of the Coyotes but the optics of that would have just been awful.

I know where you're going with this (Coyotes are a charity case) but I think you're over-thinking it.

Goodwill is a well-respected charity who has partnered with the Coyotes. End of story.

Reactions: Llama19

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
I know where you're going with this (Coyotes are a charity case) but I think you're over-thinking it.

Goodwill is a well-respected charity who has partnered with the Coyotes. End of story.
Perhaps but Bettmen, the Coyotes logo and the Goodwill logo together in one place would have been handing the anti-Coyotes faction some very memeable material.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Perhaps but Bettmen, the Coyotes logo and the Goodwill logo together in one place would have been handing the anti-Coyotes faction some very memeable material.

They're going to have a hard enough time dealing with whomever vandalized the Goodwill location.

Their latest little "claim" they're touting is the Coyotes will have Tempe move the the current southern dam of Tempe Town Lake west so TED can have a waterfront feature.

Except the Coyotes never planned on that. There will be shoring of the south bank of the Rio Salado along the project but that's for flood abatement incase there's another big rain like we've had recently.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
There's an interesting comms debate to be had on moving vs not moving the presser.

I would have stuck it out, because moving due to chalk gives off terrible vibes imo.

Couldn't you rent a pressure washer and replace the writing? Or just wash it off?

And by addressing it anyway, you promote people looking it up and seeing it was chalk.

Reactions: bleedblue94

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That's a red herring. The Suns already did their renovation. As far as the Dbacks go I don't know if they could have put a deal together that fast given the short timeline. The fact of the matter is they could have had an RFP that allowed for a wider range of proposals but they structured it so that only the Coyotes could "win"

Technically the Phoenix Rising soccer club could have responded as well, they'd been actively looking for a permanent home and seeking MLS membership. I don't know how deep the owners pockets are though.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
1. Tempe is pretty well developed. I think it's been reported this is the largest piece of undeveloped land in Tempe.

2. Remember this isn't just vacant land - this is an old landfill that requires reclamation. That's Tempe's motivation here - for someone else to pay for the cost of reclamation.

3. Meruelo/the Coyotes motivation is for "someone else" to pay for the new arena.

So the deal here is as follows: Tempe gives a massive tax break in exchange for someone else paying to reclaim this site. Meruelo gets almost free development rights for condos, commercial property etc. which should be hugely profitable, but in exchange he has to A: reclaim the land and B: build an arena.

It would be hard to find another piece of land that has this combination of factors.

I'll add Meruelo is also paying Tempe $50m for the land. This is independent of any land remediation costs.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
There's an interesting comms debate to be had on moving vs not moving the presser.

I would have stuck it out, because moving due to chalk gives off terrible vibes imo.

Couldn't you rent a pressure washer and replace the writing? Or just wash it off?

And by addressing it anyway, you promote people looking it up and seeing it was chalk.

The Goodwill store called Tempe PD and filed a vandalism report. So it technically became a crime scene.

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
They're going to have a hard enough time dealing with whomever vandalized the Goodwill location.

Their latest little "claim" they're touting is the Coyotes will have Tempe move the the current southern dam of Tempe Town Lake west so TED can have a waterfront feature.

Except the Coyotes never planned on that. There will be shoring of the south bank of the Rio Salado along the project but that's for flood abatement incase there's another big rain like we've had recently.,
That looks like a pretty well lit and somewhat busy area behind the parking lot where the "vandalism" took place. It would have taken several minutes to chalk all those spaces so surely someone will have some kind of video of some of this. I can't imagine Tempe PD could do more than look for that video and take some pictures. Not sure any of that required moving the press conference when your next best option was a way too cramped office.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Except the Coyotes never planned on that. There will be shoring of the south bank of the Rio Salado along the project but that's for flood abatement incase there's another big rain like we've had recently.

WHat's hilarious is I looked on Google Maps to check on the configuration of the river - but I already knew exactly where the TED location was and didn't need to look it up.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman says the Coyotes won't go anywhere if arena deal is approved

To quote:

"NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman came to Arizona on Thursday to voice his support for the upcoming public vote on the proposed Tempe Sports and Entertainment District that would keep the Coyotes in the East Valley city.

“This is the right project at the right time and it’s spearheaded by the right person: Alex Meruelo,” Bettman said, referring to the Coyotes' team owner. “In all of my dealings with him since he took over the Coyotes, it’s been nothing but, ‘This is what I want to do for the community. I want to do it in a first-class way. My family and I are committed with our heart and soul to getting it done.’”

Bettman also addressed relocation rumors and said this arena project would end those conversations completely.

“Once this project is built, this team is never going anywhere. It’s going to be here forever,” Bettman said. “And that is a great legacy for the Meruelo family and the National Hockey League and for Tempe.”"

Source: www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2023/04/13/nhl-commissioner-says-the-coyotes-wont-move-if-arena-deal-is-approved/70112700007/

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I'll add Meruelo is also paying Tempe $50m for the land. This is independent of any land remediation costs.
Fair clarification.

That looks like a pretty well lit and somewhat busy area behind the parking lot where the "vandalism" took place. It would have taken several minutes to chalk all those spaces so surely someone will have some kind of video of some of this. I can't imagine Tempe PD could do more than look for that video and take some pictures. Not sure any of that required moving the press conference when your next best option was a way too cramped office.
I'm 99.5 % sure that's paint, not chalk.

But yeah, Tempe Police aren't going to do a bunch of forensics. They'd take some picture of the scene then release it.

Reactions: TheLegend

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman says the Coyotes won't go anywhere if arena deal is approved

To quote:

““Once this project is built, this team is never going anywhere. It’s going to be here forever,” Bettman said.

Source: www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2023/04/13/nhl-commissioner-says-the-coyotes-wont-move-if-arena-deal-is-approved/70112700007/

Pretty much the exact same thing he said for the arena in Glendale and the shopping/entertainemnt district that came with it.

Why do politicians still believe this peddler ?

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door

To quote:

"NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman came to Arizona on Thursday to voice his support for the upcoming public vote on the proposed Tempe Sports and Entertainment District that would keep the Coyotes in the East Valley city.

“This is the right project at the right time and it’s spearheaded by the right person: Alex Meruelo,” Bettman said, referring to the Coyotes' team owner. “In all of my dealings with him since he took over the Coyotes, it’s been nothing but, ‘This is what I want to do for the community. I want to do it in a first-class way. My family and I are committed with our heart and soul to getting it done.’”

Bettman also addressed relocation rumors and said this arena project would end those conversations completely.

“Once this project is built, this team is never going anywhere. It’s going to be here forever,” Bettman said. “And that is a great legacy for the Meruelo family and the National Hockey League and for Tempe.”"

Is forever about 25-35 years nowadays because that's when a new arena will probably be "needed" again?

• Haha

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

To quote:

My question for Bettman is if all of these things are true & I believe that they are, why has Meruelo been MIA during this process? He's been hiding in the shadows without saying a word for months. Meanwhile he has Gutierrez as the face of TED, & with all due respect, Gutierrez has all the earmarks of a used car dealer or a snake oil salesman. I just find him to be so inauthentic & contrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad