CXLIV - The Tempe era set to begin as ASU opens Mullett Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
In my heart I suspect that the conclusions of this report are true - that the overall deal will not cover its costs. But making these kind of long-term projections are so hard and it is very easy with just a few "assumptions" to get the conclusion you want. I really don't know the GCI at all so I can't say to what extent they can be trusted or not.I now have a link to the Seidman Research Institute (ASU) report.

I have a link to the Seidman Research Institute (ASU) report that TempeWins has. But haven’t read it nor sure if I can share it yet.

Will try to take care of it later if possible

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
Knew this was due today, and it's kind of what I expected. Lots and lots of assumptions.... and GCI thinks their assumptions are better.

(article paywalled but it's just the reporter's interpretation of a large study.)

This is the actual report.

Edit: Perusing this report..... GCI admits making a LOT of their own "assumptions". Also just discovered TempeWins announced Bluebird had ASU's Seidmen Research Institute (another think tank within the ASU School of Business) do an "independent study" of TED and their evaluation is getting opposite results from GCI.

That report isn't public yet but they provide a contact for requesting one,
So TempeWins paid for study and announced it the same day as the other report but TempeWins doesn't actually release its report? Why not?

Reactions: Llama19

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So TempeWins paid for study and announced it the same day as the other report but TempeWins doesn't actually release its report? Why not?
You’d have to ask them. I did and got a link to the document (still haven’t read it)

Welcome to the wonderful world of information wars.

But then ask yourself do you really think GCI just conveniently had that report of theirs dropped the day before the AZ Republic debate and the ballots going out was truly acting public service??

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I’ve read the ASU Seidmen Research Institute report, it’s very positive for the projected TED economic impact. Summarizing, the projected economic impact analysis Bluebird originally commissioned from CSL and provided to Tempe in 2022 is understated when using Sediman’s preferred (and more accurate per their view) projection models. Hopefully the report is publicly published shortly.

The Seidman Research Institute is part of Arizona State University’s W.P. Carey School of Business, very highly regarded and highly ranked among US university business schools.

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
You’d have to ask them. I did and got a link to the document (still haven’t read it)

Welcome to the wonderful world of information wars.

But then ask yourself do you really think GCI just conveniently had that report of theirs dropped the day before the AZ Republic debate and the ballots going out was truly acting public service??
I did email the PR firm asking for the report as well, but haven't heard back yet. Just seems a bit odd to have to email a 3rd party firm to get access since neither Tempe Wins or Seidman seem to have it available.

When else would either GCI release their report but the week the ballots go out? When else would you have debate but the week the ballots go out? I would expect Tempe Wins to be smart enough to either get their report out first or at least actually get the report out to people once the GCI report became widely reported on. Otherwise it just looks like they are chasing their own tail again.

Any update on the chalker?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I did email the PR firm asking for the report as well, but haven't heard back yet. Just seems a bit odd to have to email a 3rd party firm to get access since neither Tempe Wins or Seidman seem to have it available.

When else would either GCI release their report but the week the ballots go out? When else would you have debate but the week the ballots go out? I would expect Tempe Wins to be smart enough to either get their report out first or at least actually get the report out to people once the GCI report became widely reported on. Otherwise it just looks like they are chasing their own tail again.

GCI study was pre-announced late last week.

If I had to speculate … TempeWins was holding onto the Seidman study until the debate. This changed the plans.

Any update on the chalker?

Doubtful… it happened in an area where the security cameras weren’t covering (that came from the area manager for Goodwill) Someone didn’t want to be caught doing it and knew where the cameras were.

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
GCI study was pre-announced late last week.

If I had to speculate … TempeWins was holding onto the Seidman study until the debate. This changed the plans.
Exactly Tempe Wins had a whole week to get this out and this was the best they could do?

Doubtful… it happened in an area where the security cameras weren’t covering (that came from the area manager for Goodwill) Someone didn’t want to be caught doing it and knew where the cameras were.
Very crafty these vandals....they somehow knew exactly which parking spaces weren't covered.

Reactions: Llama19

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Not sure about other places but in both Nashville and Atlanta its very much like this. Williamson County outside Nashville and Cobb County or Gwinnett County outside Atlanta are home to a large chunk of the office space for those areas. Typically there is some sort of regional economic development board that helps facilitate these moves to keep rivalry down and make sure that rising tides raise all boats.

St Louis is one of the most odd examples. The city itself is not in any county and is a stand alone entity. St. Louis County has all the money and higher end offices. Though it has changed some as downtown has been revitalized a lot the past 10ish years.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Exactly Tempe Wins had a whole week to get this out and this was the best they could
do?

Less than a week…. And like I said, they
Very crafty these vandals....they somehow knew exactly which parking spaces weren't covered.

It was a stupid act, but I didn’t care. If they had it at the Tempe office of Four Seasons Landscaping I still wouldn’t care. :laugh:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
-- DEBATE ALERT --

Today is the day for the Tempe Entertainment District debate between the TempeWins and Tempe1st groups.

You can submit your questions now to have them considered for this debate.

Email questions to:

[email protected]
-or-
[email protected]

You can watch the debate – live – on Tempe’s website.

It will be from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Arizona (i.e., Pacific) time.

tempe.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?publish_id=5

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The Grand Canyon Institute has responded to the non-public Coyotes/ASU/Seidman 'analysis'...

Tempe Entertainment District:
Seidman Research Institute Study Hits, Misses & Pie in the Sky

Source: grandcanyoninstitute.org/research/tempe-entertainment-district/

Have to begin wondering how legit a self proclaimed think tank really is when they resort to memeing another opinion contrary to theirs, and then clutch tightly to the few points where they agree.

Especially one that comes from the School of Business at a major university with a long and distinguished pedigree.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Debate over Arizona Coyotes project in Tempe set for April 18, to be hosted by The Republic

To quote:

"Supporters and opponents of the Arizona Coyotes' $2.1 billion deal with Tempe will square off on Tuesday in a forum hosted by The Arizona Republic.

The studio debate will run from 6 to 7 p.m. It will be broadcast live on Tempe Channel 11 and livestreamed on Tempe's website and on azcentral.com. It will be available for viewing later on those platforms as well.

Project supporters Xavier Gutierrez, president and CEO of the Arizona Coyotes, and Joel Navarro, Tempe City Council member, will appear at the forum. Hugh Hallman, former Tempe mayor, had planned to participate but was affected by Southwest Airlines flight issues.

Communications professional and educator Dawn Penich-Thacker and Gayle Shanks, a 51-year Tempe resident and founder/owner of Changing Hands Bookstore, will speak for project opponents.

The goal of the event is to ensure that Tempe residents get their questions answered before they cast a ballot for or against propositions 301, 302 and 303. All three propositions require a "yes" vote for the Coyotes project to get approval on Election Day, May 16."

Source: www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2023/04/12/coyotes-project-in-tempe-focus-of-april-18-debate-hosted-by-republic/70108382007/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad