CXLI - UPDATE 1/27 - Coyotes working on deal to play at 5,000-seat arena at ASU

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If any league expands beyond 32 teams, I think the NFL would be the first. And they won't do it until after they go to 18 games. The two main drivers of this would be gambling and Amazon/Apple willing to pay for the streaming rights. Locations of the teams won't be too important, just additional teams playing more games. Maybe there's more early Sunday morning games, or Tuesday/Wednesday night games. This is pretty far into the future, 10 years at least and probably will be wrong.

Denver is currently up for sale..... $4 Billion.

I couldn't imagine what an expansion fee would be.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Denver is currently up for sale..... $4 Billion.

I couldn't imagine what an expansion fee would be.
Depends on The markets.

legal situation in St Louis probably puts them in the mix.

after them who knows. Do they return to SD if there is a wealthy owner? Would they consider a second team in Chicago, the 3rd largest market in the USA? Not sure which other markets make sense financially.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Depends on The markets.

after them who knows. Do they return to SD if there is a wealthy owner? Would they consider a second team in Chicago, the 3rd largest market in the USA? Not sure which other markets make sense financially.

I figured on markets having an influence. I was looking at expansion and using Denver as an an example of what the price of a seat could run.

It’s essentially an amount only a relative handful of people on the planet could spend even if it’s at the bottom of the list. Unless of course you allow corporations in.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Depends on The markets.

Legal situation in STL is resolved.

The only way STL is getting an expansion team is if the new owner and/or league fully fund the stadium themselves. There is no chance STL approves any money, whether it be tax breaks, bonds, etc, for the NFL in the foreseeable future.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Depends on The markets.

NFL isn't going beyond 32. It was mostly a theoretically question. And the whole legal mess in St Louis is why i doubt the NFL will go back to that city.

Reactions: Llama19

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Depends on The markets.

Chicago isn't geting another NFL team, relax.

fryfunk

Feb 4, 2022
Is the Tempe Council Meeting this week? Consultant report in?
I'd think the better question is if the team is moving when will it be announced?

They need to maxmise hype for a new team, and minimize negativity.

If you deny it's happening it'll just leak and you'll have the worst of both worlds.

Tempe has already delayed so far into the season that they can't afford another delay. If this meeting isn't one of the final they are sunk.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I'd think the better question is if the team is moving when will it be announced?

They need to maxmise hype for a new team, and minimize negativity.

If you deny it's happening it'll just leak and you'll have the worst of both worlds.

Tempe has already delayed so far into the season that they can't afford another delay. If this meeting isn't one of the final they are sunk.

They ain't leaving Phoenix. Uncle Gary will see to that, no matter what he has to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Likely, in my opinion:

Consultant report doesn't land until next month at least.
Present council decides to leave the matter for incoming council.
Incoming council doesn't seat until July.
Council considers the matter, but doesn't decide to enter into an MOU (exclusive negotiating period) until October or November at earliest.
It takes a few months for that to work out, so an actual contract isn't determined until about February 2023.
Soil remediation takes a full year plus, so actual construction doesn't begin until April-June of 2024
Arena completion in about late summer of 2026
First season at new arena is 26-27.

By that time, the economy in the West Valley is booming, Glendale has the arena refurbished the way they want, and it's doing well for them. And, it ends up being Tempe/Footprint which struggle.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Likely, in my opinion:

Consultant report doesn't land until next month at least.
Present council decides to leave the matter for incoming council.
Incoming council doesn't seat until July.
Council considers the matter, but doesn't decide to enter into an MOU (exclusive negotiating period) until October or November at earliest.
It takes a few months for that to work out, so an actual contract isn't determined until about February 2023.

ASU Arena is under construction right now, with a completion time in the late fall. In order to be compliant for the NHL there need to be $15-$20 mil in upgrade to the arena design, which need to start fairly imminently.

Would the Coyotes be okay spending that kind of money on a temporary home if they don't have a guaranteed deal in place on their own new arena?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
ASU Arena is under construction right now, with a completion time in the late fall. In order to be compliant for the NHL there need to be $15-$20 mil in upgrade to the arena design, which need to start fairly imminently.

Would the Coyotes be okay spending that kind of money on a temporary home if they don't have a guaranteed deal in place on their own new arena?

I would assume not consider the dealings of Alex Muerelo with this franchise.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I would imagine that these modified plans need to be approved by the city so that time needs to be factored in as well. NHL seems to indicate that they can play games in that arena without those changes being completed. So they won’t be on some insane 15-18 game road trip if the completion date is closer to US thanksgiving than Canadian thanksgiving.

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door

What options do they have with 8 months left before the 2022-23 starts and the schedule needs to be made by end of summer (6 months from now)?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

If you are suggesting there is an under the table deal which guarantees Tempe will okay their arena, I would say no.

But I would say it is extremely likely that the Tempe arena happens.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
I would imagine that these modified plans need to be approved by the city so that time needs to be factored in as well. NHL seems to indicate that they can play games in that arena without those changes being completed. So they won’t be on some insane 15-18 game road trip if the completion date is closer to US thanksgiving than Canadian thanksgiving.

The modified plans only need to be approved by ASU, not Tempe.

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
Come on - you know the other option. The big one - relocation.
Yeah, I know that option but obviously it's very last resort. I'm just saying the time crunch for staying local has got to start crushing down soon since I'm guessing the $$ has not yet been transferred to ASU to make changes\addon's for the Coyotes.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
With tomorrow's ABOR meeting, are they only looking to approve the amendment to build the annex or are they approving a lease as well?

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Hot take coming in from Deadspin:
It sure looks like the Arizona Coyotes are going to play in a warehouse for the next few years

There’s little that can surprise anyone when it comes to the Arizona Coyotes anymore. They’re being kicked out of their building after this season. They were nearly kicked out in the middle of it. It’s apparently an abhorrent place to work. The owner might not have any actual money. And the team has sucked pond scum for just about a decade now.

So when the news broke last week that the Yotes are basically asking their college buddies if they can crash on the couch while they “just figure some shit out,” it barely caused an eyebrow to twitch. But as the details came out, you wonder how a league could go along with such a thing, as it will make them look even more Mickey Mouse than they already do.
I'm not sure anyone here has even reached such a level lol. But you wonder how stories like this will affect public opinion. The tone is inflammatory obviously and there is nothing new here but still not good PR for Meruelo and Co.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
With tomorrow's ABOR meeting, are they only looking to approve the amendment to build the annex or are they approving a lease as well?

Yes. ASU is submitting an updated schedule that includes the build order change linked to up thread.

It's not the only things they will discuss tho ..... the agenda is a 200 page long PDF covering over two days.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Hot take coming in from Deadspin:
It sure looks like the Arizona Coyotes are going to play in a warehouse for the next few years

There’s little that can surprise anyone when it comes to the Arizona Coyotes anymore. They’re being kicked out of their building after this season. They were nearly kicked out in the middle of it. It’s apparently an abhorrent place to work. The owner might not have any actual money. And the team has sucked pond scum for just about a decade now.

So when the news broke last week that the Yotes are basically asking their college buddies if they can crash on the couch while they “just figure some shit out,” it barely caused an eyebrow to twitch. But as the details came out, you wonder how a league could go along with such a thing, as it will make them look even more Mickey Mouse than they already do.
I'm not sure anyone here has even reached such a level lol. But you wonder how stories like this will affect public opinion. The tone is inflammatory obviously and there is nothing new here but still not good PR for Meruelo and Co.

What is different between this article and all the others bashing the situation? I mean Tempe can still do their due dilligence on Muerelo if they feel uncomfortable but I doubt the media impacts the decision all that much. The Airport Authority, Glendale, and other politicians likely have far more impact swaying the decision than the Media does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad