CXL - UPDATE 12/9 - Coyotes settle bills after unpaid taxes come to light

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Also seems like there's room here for good will through paying remediation costs:

If Meruelo is serious about this proposal I'd imagine they can get him to pay the full amount to get this through.

I'd expect some back and forth negotiations since the undecideds will use their openness as leverage for some of their priorities. It'd also be unrealistic to expect no changes to a proposal and for it to be accepted as-is when you're talking about such a significant development.

I agree Meruelo’s going to have to do something to sway one or both of those undecideds. He only needs one given tbe current 3-2-2 vote layout, but I remember how close the vote was in Glendale in 2013-14 and that one took some last minute dealing during the council session to get the one councilman on the fence to vote yes.

I’d rather see him do something way much more up front.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Can you please summarize for those of us who weren't around then? Thanks.

Back then lots of people here used to stream Glendale City Council meetings. People here knew Glendale City Council better than there own city councils. Glendale Counil had piublic comments so basically anyone could show up and comment. You didn't have to be a resident of Glendale. There was a guy named Ken Jones who was a local resident who often led petition drives to oppose the any of the deals that gave the team subsidies. Sadly he has since passed away. There was another local guy named Arthur Leroy Thurston. I have to admit I was a big fan of his. He shows up to every council meeting. He's a local retired guy who is just really interested in government. So he comments at every meeting regardless. On days that there were votes on anything Coyotes related, Coyotes fans from all over the valley would flood the meetings. On days there wasn't a vote there would be like 5-10 people attending the meetings. When there was a Coyotes related votes the auditorium would be full. The camera feed doesn't show how big the auditorium is but I would guess there was over 100 people. Some were just die hard fans pleading for council to make the deal to keep the team in Glendale and they would talk about how important the Coyotes were to them. Some would talk about how much they spend in Glendale when attending games and how its good for the Glendale economy. One thing of note is that most if not all of the Coyotes fans that showed up asking council to vote for the deals to keep the team in Glendale didn't actualy live in Glendale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad