Cutting the Cable 2018-19 edition

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Heads up cord cutters (probably not news to most of you) - I didn't notice Friday because I was at the game but Playstation Vue dropped NESN hours before puck drop. Looks like I'm going to be dropping Vue.

More info: Keep NESN
glad my town ended up getting fiber in november. i wouldve still had psvue.

guess youtube tv is the only good one out there now

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
i dropped Fios for YoutubeTV back in the Fall and have zero complaints.

4K broadcasts when available and they're line up is basically what I'd choose if a la carte was a thing anyways.

Price did just go up $10 a month, but they also added 14 new channels.

Added new benefit, Google and Amazon ended their pissing contest so YoutubeTV app is now on all Amazon Fire streaming devices

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I am no expert, but if you are all about the sports, I have been told that FUBO is the best way to go.
Fubo has more sports, but YouTubeTV has the Bruins and in all other ways it is a better service for my family.

Also FuboTv seemed to have more Soccer, Rugby and Cricket, not sure how much extra hockey they will have so you need to look into that depending on personal interest.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
have moved to basic cable, too many alternatives to "legally" steam things with a quality of picture that is perfectly fine

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Fubo has more sports, but YouTubeTV has the Bruins and in all other ways it is a better service for my family.

Also FuboTv seemed to have more Soccer, Rugby and Cricket, not sure how much extra hockey they will have so you need to look into that depending on personal interest.
SEL and KHL I am trying them for now after dropping psvue. Also have history which I dont believe YouTube TV has.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Only a matter of time. Just got all the Discovery networks added and had NatGeo
Yeah not really happy they added those with no option and increased the price by 10$ however they are the exact channels my wife was unhappy we didn’t have. So it works for me this time but additional channels really need to be a la carte.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Yeah not really happy they added those with no option and increased the price by 10$ however they are the exact channels my wife was unhappy we didn’t have. So it works for me this time but additional channels really need to be a la carte.

Yeah, wondering if they go to tiers or a la carte as they get more channels

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Does anyone subscribe to Youtube TV?? I'm curious about NESN coverage for the Sox & Bruins, didn't know if there would be blackout issues if you live in New England. I wouldn't think so, but just want to make sure before I make the leap

Thanks!!

sisu

Jun 2, 2008
boston, ma
yep, it's been great. planning on dropping it after the season though due to the recent price increase. i'll probably pick it back up again for next year.

edit: i don't watch much of the sox, so haven't paid much attention to anything going on there with nesn+ etc, maybe someone else can comment on that.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Does anyone subscribe to Youtube TV?? I'm curious about NESN coverage for the Sox & Bruins, didn't know if there would be blackout issues if you live in New England. I wouldn't think so, but just want to make sure before I make the leap

Thanks!!

I have it. It’s great. There are no blackout issues of which you speak. The entire reason you switch to YouTube TV is because it is a direct alternative to cable and you can get your local programming. If you go OUTSIDE of New England (you can watch YouTube TV on any mobile device), you can no longer access your local programming.

The only drawback to YouTube TV is that it is generally 20 or so seconds behind regular cable providers. So...be careful about being on this board during Bruins games because you can easily get hit with some spoilers.

Edit: Thanks to sisu who mentioned price increase, as I was not aware of it. I will still keep it because it’s a better deal than my available cable providers. That being said, I am of no illusion to the “alternative to expensive cable networks” marketing campaign to get people to subscribe to non-cable based television services. If it’s owned by a corporation, the entire purpose is to gain territory over a larger and larger base and suck as much money out as possible. It won’t be a “cheaper alternative” for long.

Reactions: SPV

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
I'm watching it right now and love it! No blackout issues and I love the DVR.

"YouTube TV's navigation makes it easy to find live TV shows, but it's equally as simple to record content to watch at a later time with its cloud DVR function.

Subscribers can record as many shows as they want to — no storage limit — and recordings are kept for up to nine months."

Reactions: SPV

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
thank you both, I signed a 24 month contract with Comcast that ends next month and was thinking of cutting the cord (except the internet of course). This was the only option I saw that had NESN, which I can't live without (as I'm sure everyone here can understand LOL)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad